North Cyprus Tourist Board - paphos theatre to be built on tc land
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > paphos theatre to be built on tc land

paphos theatre to be built on tc land

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

MAYOR of Paphos Savvas Vergas has confirmed that plans to build a new theatre for Paphos will go ahead, despite the proposed plot belonging to a Turkish Cypriot.

Vergas’ previous plan to move the central museum to the archaeological park in Kato Paphos and use the old museum as a new theatre, failed to gain to necessary support.

The plan originally surfaced after the government changed the law regarding the use of Turkish Cypriot land. As discussions are talking place to try to reunify the island and compensation would have to be paid to the Turkish Cypriot landowners, the government had previously recommended not using this land.

Guidelines, however, do state that in certain cases where there is no alternative, compulsory purchases may be made. This applies to all citizens and is not restricted to Turkish Cypriots. The mayor hopes to meet all the relevant bodies to obtain building licence for the new theatre as soon as possible.

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

You are right Pikey the difference is.... those due to gain from the greased palms in this case are public servants absusing their positions of trust.... or are you trying to maintain that this is the ONLY location in the whole of Paphos that a theatre can be housed? Is every part of Paphos that would be suitable land that use to be owned by TCs... it would seem so... So CPO for Turkish land is the order of the day....

come on, even you can't be that naive....

PtePike

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Groucho,

I'll take a wild guess that the authorities had a careful look at where the theatre could go. I don't know when you were last down in Paphos, but you'd be struggling to find a vacant plot anywhere upper or lower central. And you can't put a city threatre in the countryside. What you may have noticed in Paphos is the entire Turkish quarter still intact, along with mosque and cemetery, and being used to house displaced GCs from the north - GCs who are NOT ALLOWED to buy these TCs properties, it's worth adding. Hardly bears comparison with the free-free-all land grabbing that's been going on in the north, does it?

bradus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

"A lot of TC land on the south has been sold by tcs living abroad to major developers"

I really think you need to check this out Suzanne. No TC's that live outside Cyprus have been able to apply for compensation or sell their land. The only ones that have had their property were made to live in the south for 6 months before being eligible to apply.

Southern law....... but many TC's are at present waiting for their cases to be heard by the ECHR.

bradus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

http://www.internal-displacement.org/idmc/website/countries.nsf/(httpEnvelopes)/A7A473B3D53216ECC1257361005B3D84?OpenDocument

Just so that you have facts Suzanne. Perhaps some of the GC land also crumpled away? Are you using this to justify land on either side being built on?

karakum5c

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Suzanne i have just returned from Paphos this morning,the Turkish Cypriots i was travelling with were verbally humiliated by the Greek Cypriots. I sugest you should try visiting Paphos before making ridiculious statements that the Greeks of Paphos would part with a Euro to their Turkish compatriots

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

karakum5c

you actually found some gc's in paphos? i thought it had turned into mini england?

they will have to pay compensation to the tc owner so whats the problem?

how much gc land has been built on in the north?

whats good for one side is good for the other.

i don't see how anyone apart from the owner can complain.

Groucho

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

At least thet don't try and pretend they a guarding for them....

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

no ,they just sell to the british ,without telling them the full story.

Izzet

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

well said Groucho!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.