North Cyprus Tourist Board - Paphos Theatre to be built on Turkish Cypriot land
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Paphos Theatre to be built on Turkish Cypriot land

Paphos Theatre to be built on Turkish Cypriot land

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

Aussie

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

By Bejay Browne

MAYOR of Paphos Savvas Vergas has confirmed that plans to build a new theatre for Paphos will go ahead, despite the proposed plot belonging to a Turkish Cypriot.

Vergas’ previous plan to move the central museum to the archaeological park in Kato Paphos and use the old museum as a new theatre, failed to gain to necessary support.

The plan originally surfaced after the government changed the law regarding the use of Turkish Cypriot land. As discussions are talking place to try to reunify the island and compensation would have to be paid to the Turkish Cypriot landowners, the government had previously recommended not using this land.

Guidelines, however, do state that in certain cases where there is no alternative, compulsory purchases may be made. This applies to all citizens and is not restricted to Turkish Cypriots. The mayor hopes to meet all the relevant bodies to obtain building licence for the new theatre as soon as possible.

Copyright © Cyprus Mail 2

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 12:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Hey Aussie, I beat you too it. See my earlier post

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

what are your thoughts on this Aussie?

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Perhaps the Mayor knows something that we don't know. Perhaps he's been listening in on the meeting between the two sides. I think you may see a lot of these CPO's happening soon.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

That's what I thought Bill

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Mark, perhaps they have reached a decision on the land situation. The South will CPO Turkish land in the South and the North will retain the Greek land in the North.

Now theres something to consider!

What do you think PP?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

You never know Bill. The two sides have stated that they have not yet discussed the issue of property but you can bet it has.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Yes. I agree Mark. They know what they are doing make no mistake.

Aussie

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

ILC

Sorry for the unintented duplication I guess great minds think a like. I only glanced at the list and missed your post.

This shows the fundamental inconsistancy of domestic and international reaction to the forced apprppriation of properties in the North and South. It is accepted in most developed countries in some circumstances governments need to appropriate private property with compensation in the "national interest".

You can bet the ROC won't pay compensation directly to the owners as various GC owners have sought to claim through the UNHCR etc against Turkey/ TRNC. You can also bet they won't seek to buy it by making a commercial offer to the owner or most likely TRNC authorities holding it as an "exchange property" as you would try first in most developed country.

One of the great largely untold stories here is the inconsistancy of why the ROC won't give back TC properties in most cases when TC's seek to get them back.

Aussie

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Good posting Aussie

Turtle

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 14:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Its the usual as posted before, GC,s can compulsory purchase the land but TC,s according to some steal the land.

Double standards I think.

PtePike

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

No, Turtle. A compulsory purchase order is what is says on the tin. Seizure of property from Cypriots, forcing them at gunpoint from their land and giving or selling the property to a third party - say a foreigner like you - is not. Check international law and UN resolutions which say you are wrong. Not that you would ever justify something bad though, eh?

PtePike

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Aussie: "This shows the fundamental inconsistancy of domestic and international reaction to the forced apprppriation of properties in the North and South. It is accepted in most developed countries in some circumstances governments need to appropriate private property with compensation in the "national interest"."

How was the armed expulsion of more than 100,000 Greek Cypriots and the gifting of their property to third parties for private gain in anyone's national interest? It was a war crime and those taking advantage of it have blood on their hands. Hardly bears comparison with a CPO for a theatre, does it?

Aussie

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

I agree Pike the construction of a theature is hardly as essential as the Turkish intervention in 1974 to prevent the impending mass slaughter of the TC community (not to mention the slaugher of GCs by GC in the aftermath coup).

Every community has the right to defend itself and ensure its own survival.

The GC government simply hasn't been paying compensation for these compulsory acquisitions and use of TC property.

The ROC administration of these properties is just a smokescreen to prevent TC's from reclaiming their properties or entering into free exchanges with GC's as recent cases confirm.

Aussie

Groucho

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Only Pike could convince himself that the CPO of a building for a theatre could be justified as "national interest"....

CPO should only be used to make way for some alternative structure like a motorway if it would otherwise prevent construction... if you keep the building in place it undermines the whole concept of CPOs.... in my opinion... but of course this explanation does not suit Pikes pro Greek Cypriot stance so he can't see the irony in the situation...

Pike you undermine your own stance by your dogged support of this... it once again shows where you are coming from... your only concern is for property and you don't really have any genuine concerns for human rights other than that... from the little we can tell about the real "you".

bradus

Message Posted:
22/10/2008 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/news/main.php?id=24773&cat_id=1

Seems its not just a theatre! I in no way support the buying of GC land but I have to say the South are just so hypocritical. I wonder if there is any info on just how much TC land has been CP in comparison to their own land? I bet that makes interesting reading.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.