North Cyprus Tourist Board - Well water treatment?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Well water treatment?

Well water treatment?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

newscoop

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

What with the current water situation in Lapta it is becoming all too apparent that the locals are revolting and using well waterin their domestic systems. Is this ok or should they be treating the water in some way? Can the long term use of untreated well water cause health problems or degrade the domestic system in any way?

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

newscoop,

you can get the water tested from what i understood. then you will know if you can drink it or if it is just for the garden use.

with most houses in cyprus having the old style toilet tanks, i wouldn't want to use it in the home.

in the uk we have quite strict rules on well water. i know this as a couple of our friends back there have wells.

we had a well at our last house in the uk, but because we were close to the village garage, we couldn't do anything with it because of contamination. hence it became a garden feature.

newscoop

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Firestarter,

Not asking is it safe to drink. Am asking is it safe to shower in and will it effect the plumbing and pipework?

brian24001

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

FS,

They should certainly be checking the ph, well water here is usually very alkaline from the dissolve solids from the rock, this results in calcium carbonate with a ph of up to 9 or more. this is likely to case skin irritation. Remember cheap soaps are alkaline, but are hopefully washed on with 'neutral' water. Better soaps are 'ph balanced' - the itching you may sometimes get after showering is usually an effect of alkalinity.

The huge amount of free calcium in the water (the white stuff in the bottom of your water tanks) will also lead to immersion elements, washing machine elements etc scaling up in literally a few weeks.

We always add a little sodium bisulphate (the ph- you put in your pool) to our mains water tanks to neutralise the water and reduce CaCo3 build up.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Brian

flightholiday

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

There are lots of ways to make well and spring water useable. (For drinking not just washing.)

For some thoughts look at one of our suppliers web sites http://www.waterdial.co.uk/ The UV system should make it safe but not necessarily palatable, the electronic softeners should assist on reducing the scale (calcium) without changing the nature of the water and the filters should improve the "drinkability" (reducing particles, some aspects of safety and taste).

Waterdial is the information system for Aquadial, Liff and Waterside three good UK manufacturers bought by Culligan (US co.).

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

brian

you are right. our village water is usually ok.

this summer i noticed that my eyes were ichy so to speak after showering.

maybe because the supply has been low.

we have checked its ph before and it was okay, but haven't done it recently.

all our tanks were replaced last year so maybe i should check it again.

newscoop,

what i was trying to point out is that the uk has stringent rules regarding well water.

why would cyprus well water need not be subject to the same tests for safety?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.