North Cyprus Tourist Board - BEWARE new email scam with disasterous effects
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > BEWARE new email scam with disasterous effects

BEWARE new email scam with disasterous effects

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Poodledog

Message Posted:
29/05/2011 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 3 in Discussion

Despite being very savvy about email scams I have just been caught out. Received an email proporting to be from Microsoft Hotmail that appeared to be very genuine including all the correct logos and wording and although I was initially dubious, I eventually replied - disaster! The wording of the email was to the effect that all hotmail email addresses were being checked as to being "active" and if no response was received within 10 days, the email address would be deemed to be "in-active" and would be closed for ever. To confirm mine was active I only needed to reply plus give my year of birth as a security measure.

I then found out, 24 hours later, that all my email contacts had received an email(supposedly from me with my name and email address) requesting a payment of $1500 dollars to pay for hospital fees "for my cousin who was in Madrid waiting for a life-saving operation", etc. etc. Most of my contacts, fortunately ignored it but a few who were genuinly concerned, responded

Tango1

Message Posted:
29/05/2011 17:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 3 in Discussion

I received this scam Email, purporting to come from a friend here. I agree, it is very genuine indeed and if it hadn't been for the fact that my husband was meeting the person concerned that evening, I could quite easily have believed that the person had to make a mercy dash to Spain, although I did think it strange he should ask to borrow money from us, as he must know we're as poor as church mice!!

Tango1

medoc

Message Posted:
29/05/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 3 in Discussion

Thanks for the information, will take care.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.