North Cyprus Tourist Board - Living in North working in the South
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Living in North working in the South

Living in North working in the South

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

spectacular

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

to work in the South can you use your address inthe North?will this cause problembs? is anyone else doing this at present?any info would help many thanks to anyone who replies. Fred.

PtePike

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Yes you can and I have. After all, hundreds of TCs cross over every day and make the return trip in the evening. Provided you are an EU citizen and your address in the north refers to a legal pre-74 property, you should have no worries - and you can get a Cyprus ID card to speed up crossings.

Kantara

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

So there is no problem to get a work permission for the South if you are living here?

This sounds very interesting!

Kantara

gillken

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

You mentioned only pre 74 address.

How do they know its pre 74?

I thought any foriegner would be thrown in jail with a TRNC address?

And what about the T Cypriot people whom have exchange land?

PtePike

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 13:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

gillken,

The Cyprus goverment has the records for all of the island. That's why I and others like me have two title deeds for our properties. You are quite wrong if you think any foreigner would be thrown in jail for having a TRNC address. That's ridiculous. So why aren't they arresting expats crossing over to get their weekly shop? As for your last point about TCs on exchange land. Cypriots have no problem - foreigners are another matter. There's a big difference between an exchange property and a holiday home.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Pike -Why do the Greek customs officials at the border tell you when they are searching your luggage that "purchase of property by foreignors is a criminal offence in the occupied zone " ?

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

it isn't!

they don't!

neither do the roc land registry.

not if it is pre 74 turkish title.

we have been south, with our kochan many times for different things, never had a problem.

gillken

Message Posted:
23/10/2008 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

I can only comment on what I see and hear. I am still learning as much as I can about the situation and everyday I learn some more.

I have G Cypriot friends whom lost land in the North. I am told their story, and to be honest they do not seem bitter, but they tell me whats going on in the south. apparently there have been meetings in the different town and villages regarding their return to the north, and the way she put it mass exudos and arranged by the Gov, she may be behind the times with this information I do not know, her brother a police officer tells her this .

You all talk about NCypriots whom work in the South. Obviously their work colleagues show no bitterness, otherwise they would not offer work to T Cypriots.

So it seems what you have said is that this is not about north and south, It is issues about british buying property, as in the Ornans case.

I really don't know how to take the last sentence.

rosieposie

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I am considering working in the south but the thing that concerns me is the attitudes of the people I will work for. I am hesitant to tell people I live in the north in case they are prejudice against me, and perhaps would more readily offer work to GC's rather than TC residents.

Does anyone have any experience in applying for work in the south? Should I tell them where I live? Do any colleagues have bad attitudes towards TC residents?

Kantara

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Does anybody know if you need a work permission for the South?

Or is it enough to be an EU citizen?

But another question - what kind of permission do you need then for the North if you are working in the South?

Kantara

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Kantara,

I already said in my reply to you that EU citizens are free to travel and work in any EU country, so you need no permission from the south.

As for your other question, why would you need permission from the Turkish authorities to work in an EU country? They have no say in the matter. It's almost as if you're scared of them or something.

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

rosie msg 10,

I don't know your circumstances, but I worked among Greek Cypriots with the UN and the locals will probably ask you where you live in the north. They shouldn't have a big problem with someone who isn't living in one of their properties, so if you can look them in the eye and say you bought pre-74 you can hold your head high among them. That said there will always be some who are bolshie about you going there in the first place, but that's their problem. It's a free country. Well, two-thirds of it is.

Kantara

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Pte..

I don't have to be scared about anything!

But unfortunately we have so many people living here on our side who have no residence permit.

And I don't know if it legal to live here as a tourist and work on the other side.

That's why I am asking - because I have friends who are interested in a job on the other side.

Kantara

Kantara

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Pte,

I am not asking about the Greeks - I am asking about our laws here!

And by the way - I am living here without having bought anything.. so this is not necessary to get any kind of papers.

Thanks

Kantara

Kantara

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

Sorry Pte,

now I saw that your last message was for rosie!

Kantara

fire starter

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

kantara

as pike said, if you are an e.u citizen you can live and work in the south.

there is the british high comission who can advise on the legalities of it all, i should think.

i do know you can work as self employed in the south and earn up to 15k euros per year before paying tax. which is better than the uk.

PtePike

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

Kantara,

Residence permits for the north are meaningless to the Republic of Cyprus as they are the only authority with legal powers over immigration to the island. They don't recognise the Turkish authorities and pay no heed to their regulations. Obviously turning up at a crossing point to the south will mean you already arrived in the north at some point, but your EU passport will only be glanced at and no record taken of your arrival.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.