North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice Needed, When crossing Border
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice Needed, When crossing Border

Advice Needed, When crossing Border

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

smithy

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 08:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Has anyone crossed the Border when their Residency is a day over due, mine is due for renewal on the 28th October, but I cant do it just yet as I am back and forth sorting out Visa's for my family who are moving to Thailand, also I have to take them to Larnaca on the 4th November, and Don't want Immigration taking my passport just yet, will I be stopped from crossing, any info from people who has been in this situation. Thanks.

Smithy

cands

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

hi Smithy

From experience! (Unless it has changed from last year!) You get seven days grace after your expiry when they just fine you per day. although to be sure I would check!

Thoms

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

We have done so... more than once. We had started the process off but due to the Bayram and normal lead-time involved etc. we had not had our passports endorsed with the new residency stamp... On coming back through the Metehan crossing they gave us a 30 day visa the first time and a 60 day one the second... They are use to this kind of thing and did not bat an eyelid...

come_on_aylin

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 09:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

We were told 7 days grace but went through up to 3 weeks after ours expired without any problems. However, each time we came back to North we were asked if we had started the renewal process - don't know if there is any way that they can check.

ozankoys

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Hi Smithy

Immigration do not take your passport away whilst your residency is being processed & once you have applied in Girne (which you can do 14 days before expiry) they write a no in your passport to show that you have applied.

We have just done ours it was ready in 1 day under 3 weeks no problems with crossing in meantime.

smithy

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Ozankoy

I cant remember I thought when you went to Immigration they took my passport until it was completed and stamped etc, if thats wrong then I can start and wait until the family leave to complete, thanks again for the help.

Smithy

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

They definitely do not take your passport...

They do take your pink or blue (ours are blue most are pink) ID booklets.. but they never check these at the border anyway....

smithy

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Grouch

Thanks your a star I was getting worried thinking that I could not take my granddaughters to the Airport, the worry has gone now I know they don't take my passport away, many thanks for your help

Smithy

smithy

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

ozankoys

Sorry I forgot to ask (pain I am) when you did the Muhtar's paper did you only have to get his signature and stamp, as last year they changed it to 3 signatures and I was running around like a headless chicken. would appreciate if you could let me know. Thanks

Smithy

Krin52

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 12:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Smithy,

My renewal was in being processed and I was told it would be ready after the Bayram( the last one). When I tried to cross, at Metehan, to go to the airport, I was told I could not cross and he made a phone call and said I must go back to the office in Lefkosia and pick it up. When I protested they had told me after Bayram, he still refused. So I duly went back to Lefkosia and indeed it WAS ready. Went back and crossed at Metehan no problem.

Last year I had no problem crossing back and forth while waiting for it to be finished.

I don't want to scare you but it's better to be warned, luckily I had left plenty of time to get to Larnaca!

Once again, this is obviously a totally random thing and depends on the person, the day, the weather, whether his team won, etc......

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/10/2008 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Definitely three signatures still required... get running!

It's a bit painful but we were told who to see and where to go in Esentepe to get our three and it was over and done with in 30 mins...

When we went to Girne Police station we met a friend who was turned away because she did not have the three required....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.