North Cyprus Tourist Board - New Satellite System Experiment
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New Satellite System Experiment

New Satellite System Experiment

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/06/2011 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

I had a call earlier today from Mark (6m's) before Skype went belly up. He was calling from a client's house using the new satellite internet service and wanted to know if there was any delay. There wasn't!

Richard

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

Thanks, Brinsley..

in fact I called several ppl around the globe.. I didn't say - at first - and no-one 'moaned' - I was using a rather 'posh' Mac with a Huge screen and funky metal touch pad - instead of a mouse.. I got 1277 Mps UP - and over 8Mps down on the basic package (24.99 GBP / month)

The client lives in a Cotswold village and the best BT could give him was 0.4Mps Down and 0.05 up.. SKYPE was unusable and youtube, etc USELESS.. by the time I'd left he had he ipad, mac pro notebook and fancy Mac, along with his TV and i-phone all wirelessly surfing - has was trying to make the network 'fall over' ;)

To anyone I 'disturbed' during my tests - sorry and thanks ...

@ ErolZ.. I was getting 750 - 900 ms ping times -but skype was perfect.. despite this latency I didn't know there WAS a problem with SKYPE today , today

(cont)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

I did find one downside... the service is controlled by SkyLogic - a subsidiary of Eutelsat - with the operation based in Turin..

BBC iplayer wouldn't allow TV content to work :( .. " not available in your area" - they say they will find a fix for this ... they'd better...

I gave the client access to my VPN and it worked - but this is not an ideal situation .. his Apple TV was giving info in Italian and played films in Italian or with Italian sub titles - without the UK VPN..

Perhaps I should do a deal with Eutelsat ;)

Simhar

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

mmmmmm please explain (and this is a genuine question, not a pi*s take) what this has to do with TRNC? is this something you are launching here?

Brinsley

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 01:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

Msg 4

From what I can gather from Mark, he's in an experimental stage of 'suck it & see' in the UK, eradicating the initial glitches before marketing the new product World wide.

Richard

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 03:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

simhar

re msg 4

The internet service in 'TRNC' SUCKS most of the time, from what I have have observed .. if this service works as well as I THINK it will ( only running for 7 days ) then for those 'brassed off' it might be an alternative ..

Brinsley - it isn't 'my' product.. ;)

..but I've been waiting for it's official launch for some time - as it is a genuine alternative ( in the UK ) for the 1-2% of folks for whom ADSL is a non starter - and naturally, it should be great for those places where ADSL rolls outs are near non-existent

Bondy

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 05:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

A few questions

Would this system be portable just needing a dish in each location.

You mention £24.99 per month will this be available on a month only deal or full year.

What will be the cost of the equipment needed ie router,dish, ect.

Ernie

Washerman

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 07:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

To be an ISP in the TRNC, you need a licence from the 'appropriate' authority in the TRNC and ALL internet connections have to go through KKTC.

BUT after saying that, I am pleased that mmmmmm is testing this system and maybe thinking of setting it up here.

Being an 'illegal operation', I am sure that it will draw the attention of people in the right places which may bring an end to his shinnanigans in the TRNC

No doubt, he won't use his own name because he doesn't have a legal business here, but then, he will probably 'just' stick some 'gullible' stooge in to take the fall for him

Skype will have to work on this system, because otherwise, to telephone out of the Country for customer support when things go wrong, will be expensive

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

re msg 7

Bondy..

Eric, the dish is actually the most expensive part ( well the transmit / receive unit - attached to it )

There is a minimum 24 month contract :(

This is one of five UK approved cos.. prices:

http://www.toowaydirect.com/purchase/

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

re msg 8, Washerman

1/ Folks *can* buy kit from outside 'TRNC' - it's called a free market.

2/ As I mentioned before - I can think of several 'TRNC' biz' ( Uran / Dopi - as an example ) and institutions that have used / use data links by-passing 'TRNC' ... do you see them getting 'done' ? I'd like to see a link to this 'legislation'.. a bit like your 'permission' to be an agent / dealer for AD TV or OSN :D

3/ As you aren't adverse to a bit of 'grey market piracy' your 'concern' re legally is 'ironic' - don't you think ?! ..Should folk wish to import this kit - it is THEIR 'risk' - a bit like getting sat TV services they might not be SUPPOSED to receive... !!! ;)

4/ IF I supply, it will be in a legal entity ( internationally recognised ) and folks can pay via credit / debit card..

5/ IF the product doesn't work - then SKYPE wouldn't connect ! I'm sure a 'stooge' could fix it ;)

6/ You could even offer to BE a dealer for the system - or the Astra based one ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

re msg 10

point 3 : That should be your concern re *legality*.. :(

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

...any way.. I doubt there'd be a market - if the internet services in existence wasn't so poor.

These Ka band sat internet services aren't 'mickey-mouse' outfits - they are run by the companies that OWN the satellites ....

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

BY the way.. out of interest ..do folks know who owns Nilesat? The company broadcasting OSN / Ad TV ?..

Well Egypt ( the state ) owns the bulk of the capital - and the old regime turned off Al-jazera for a time during the demonstrations that eventually overthrew it ..

http://kiona-machit.blogspot.com/2011/01/channel-al-jazeera-banned-in-egypt.html

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

Washerman you are one sad person you always have but in on any post by mmmmmm it is time the Forum admins banned you for this reason.

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

i reccon the banter between washerwoman and 6m's is better entertainment than most of the singers in the trnc.........

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

re 14, lovingcyprus

I wish to make it clear that I DO NOT want Washerman 'banned' - I appreciate his 'contributions' and I think it helps folk to understand technical / legal matters re various aspects of Communications mediums.. be that TV or internet...

JohnDownes

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

6m, what size dish do you think one might need if it's going to work out here?

John

erolz

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

JohnDowers my understanding is the service uses the following

"The size of the KA-Sat Tooway dish is a parabolic 72x68cm"

I got this info from the Bentley Walker website, who are resellers of various sat services based in the UK. They were the company I became an 'agent' for when I first came to live here about 9 years ago. I became an 'agent' for them simply because it was the cheapest way to provide a service for myself at that time.

http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/tooway_faqs.php

more info from tooway direct here

http://www.tooway.com/FAQ

and pdf re tooway dish instalation here

http://www.eutelsat-seminare.de/002_Tooway_Technik_Installer.pdf

Washerman

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

lovingcyprus........try to keep an open mind on these things , don't just be led like a lamb to the slaughter.

Now, mmmmmm has been maliciously speculating about 'my' business and asking me the same questions for 12 months now, let's see if he can provide the answers to those questions about this service.

Yes, there are firms like Dopi who direct data through satellite, but they are NOT Internet Service Providers and that's the difference. ISP's are regulated in the TRNC and all internet connections have to go through KKTC

mmmmmm - are you saying that you haven't done your homework on this before getting involved and now, you are asking me to do it for you ?

Attract enough attention from the right people and I am sure that it won't be long before someon puts a stop to your shinnanigans.

To get involved in any business in the TRNC, you would first have to come here and I don't think that 'this' is likely to happen

erolz

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

Washerman I am not a legal expert but I strongly suspect that reselling a 2 way sat system no more makes you an ISP than reslling a sat based TV system makes you a TV broadcaster.

Having said that there are requirments if you run a business from here, any business. There is, as I understand it, also a requirement for an end user of 2 way sat based system to get a licsense for such use. When I was looking to set up my own personal 2 way sat system here I investigated this and spoke to many people who had been down that road before me. The advise I overwhealmingly got, from those who had got such a permit and those who had not, was 'dont bother'. In the end that was the personal choice I made. It did involve some risk but having used the system for about 3 years I never had any issues related to a failure to have got this permit.

negativenick

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

can't you channel some of this energy into clearing up the beaches ??

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

it must be an english thing to have a s**t and expect others to clean it.

long live dirty english

Stubs

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Paul

Are you saying that when in the TRNC if I use my 02 dongle then it is illegal in the TRNC?

Washerman

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Sorry Stubs - you know the answer from me on here, but if you want to email me with your real details, I will be happy to answer your question.

Washerman

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 18:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Erolz.....breaking the law and getting away with it is not something that I would brag about if I were you, but then, you are Turkish Cypriot (I presume) so, I guess that it doesn't matter anyway - you can't be deported !

erolz

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

As ever washerman I was simply trying to provide as accurate information as I could in the face of a lot of misinformation. The implication that re selling a 2 way sat service to someone in the TRNC would make that resller an ISP and liable for all the TRNC regulatory requirments that go with that is in my view misinformation. I provided information about what I understood to be the strict requirments for use of such a service along with my personal experience and choice of real world behaviour.

I recall in the past that you said you had yourself used a 2 way sat system in the TRNC for internet access. Can I ask if you got the end user permit required for such use when you did so ? Or would that be an unfair question ?

And for info I am indeed a TRNC citizen, though the implication that not getting an end user permit for use of a 2 way sat system would result in deportation for non citizens is in my personal view dubious.

Washerman

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

OK Erolz, I am sorry

Stubs

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

Paul

Was just a question.

Its just a simple question Paul. Are you saying that if I used this in the TRNC I would be breaking the law?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

Re 19 Washerman

>>try to keep an open mind on these things , don't just be led like a lamb to the slaughter. <<

any basis in FACT for that 'advice ?

>> mmmmmm has been maliciously speculating about 'my' business <<

There's that oft quoted fib [ AGAIN !] ...'malicious speculation?' You've dropped your prices, stopped claiming 'officialdom' and admitted the risk factor re supplying 'grey market sat tv subscriptions'

>>and asking me the same questions for 12 months now<<

it took THAT long for you to be honest..

>> let's see if he can provide the answers to those questions about this service. <<

I've just seen statements with no basis in fact.. from you..

( Cont)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

>>Yes, there are firms like Dopi who direct data through satellite, but they are NOT Internet Service Providers and that's the difference. ISP's are regulated in the TRNC and all internet connections have to go through KKTC <<

..It's URAN, actually and the principle is JUST the same.. data uploaded and downloaded !

I think Erolz has put you 'straight' on this..

>> are you saying that you haven't done your homework on this before getting involved and now, you are asking me to do it for you ?<<

As I've been watching the kit in action - I fail to see your 'point' .. my suggestion re becoming a dealer was positive... I'm sure lots of folks will want this..

>>Attract enough attention from the right people and I am sure that it won't be long before someon puts a stop to your shinnanigans.<<

)) I wonder how long before Washerman is telling folks, " I could do it better " and 'legally' )

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

...ANY WAY... two more installs this week ( Oxfordshire and Shropshire) and no 'shenanigans', yet... just folks who thought that living in the back of beyond mean the info superhighway was passing them by..

I get the installer to do a speedtest before and after.. and the smiles on the clients faces are a sight to behold..

steptoenoel

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 03:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

I think you will find it is not the "brits"chucking rubbish everywhere!And bt the way I am Irish

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

re 33

OK so the service has been running since June 1st in Europe ( Jan 1st in USA) and I have done / overseen over 120 installs from UK to Spain

Problems:

1) The IP address being Italian - you need to contact your bank - if you do internet banking

2) Despite my warning all clients that this is NOT a service suitable for using with video I've had one client bemoaning the fact that the data allowance isn't big enough.. he used 125 gig in a month .. He was 'allowed' - but he gets a slower speed...

3) Certain areas advertised as covered ( Majorca) needed a 1.2m dish and a more powerful transmitter - the good new is that Cyprus - apart from an area west of Limas(s)ol to just north of Paphos - can use the std 75cm dish ;)

The Good News

I've been using the service to contact members on SKYPE / voIP ( Vonage.co.uk ) and they can't tell I'm using a sat internet service .

Apart from a 1 hour 45 min period - two days ago - the service has been rock solid for the first 50 d

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

(cont )

Apart from a 1 hour 45 min period - two days ago - the service has been rock solid for the first 50 days.

Folks wishing to view some of the installs can look here:

http://www.satmesh.co.uk/photo_gallery/default.html

The fact that they are mostly in the UK - where we should have good ADSL is relevant.. these folk can't get reliable ADSL and the 3G dongles aren't fast enough.. The service is Europe wide and covers Cyprus and the Gulf...

Interestingly it covers Benghazi but not Tripoli in Libya !

Coming soon to Cyprus ....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.