North Cyprus Tourist Board - Help with wedding legalities
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Help with wedding legalities

Help with wedding legalities

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

christabella

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Trying to organise our wedding for next year i TRNC but having problems in getting any information from the TRNC Embassy. Phoned but got a rather rude woman who would only tell me that all details were on their web site. Well i dont know if anyone has seen their web site.... well enough said. We are planning a church wedding and also understand that we need a civil wedding first. I am trying to get my head around these Certificate of Freedoms which we need signed. My local priest has given me theirs which is quite simple. But from my reading i understand that we need to have one for the embassy but i also read that we need one to bring to the Municipal office when applying for the special licence in TRNC. So how many do we need to get or does the Embassy just copy the one we give them? Better still can the embassy give us one to get signed as i have contacted a local UK solicitor and they are looking £70 each for them to draft. If anyone has been through this and can offer some help.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

did not know that there are working churches here are there?

ttoli

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/38494.asp

Tango1

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

St. Andrews Church in Girne is well and truly up and running and its standing room only on most Sundays. Google for their web site. Weddings take place quite frequently. Check it out for information.

Present incumbent is Richard Cross.

christabella

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Hi yes St Elizabeths in Kyrenia perform marriages. The priest comes across from the south to perfom it.

christabella

Message Posted:
08/06/2011 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Thank you ttoli for the wedding planners link but we have decided to organise the wedding ourselves. Most of the other things are straight forward and fairly easy to source and book ourselves but i want to make sure we get all the legal work correct in the UK before coming over. Hence it would be great to talk to someone who has planned their own wedding.

butterfly1

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Hi Christabella i got married here in cyprus at st andrews church last year please email me.jackieincyprus@googlemail.com it was a lovly wedding.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Christine Msg 1 - Get the help of a wedding planner they will do as much or as little as you want and pay for. They do have the knowledge and contacts and are a backup if things do not go to plan when you should be taking it easy on you special day. See http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/65465.asp where Nadine is possibly trying to do quite a lot of DIY just like you.

Use a good and caring agent in the UK to book the flights and packages for yourself and your guests (they know who to rely on who is ATOL bonded etc) you might want to try us at IAH on that side of things.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Christabella you will definitely appreciate having a wedding planner to take the stress away during your wedding day, and the weeks leading up to it - try contacting Vashti at http://www.north-cyprusweddings.com.

She is very helpful and will probably give you free advice regarding the legalities if you don't want t use her full services.

GOOD LUCK,

G

Marion

Message Posted:
09/06/2011 23:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

As well as the names mentioned above, http://www.angelicevents.com have a list of required paper work and will even do it for you for £150 or thereabouts. If you want a priest to come over from the south, (are you RC or protestant) then surely they can tell you what to do.

and didn't you have a long thread running on this a year ago? You seem to be back to square 1. Honeslty if you look at various web pages you will discov er what to do. Also it is always better to get advice from those who really know rather than relying on advic e here, other than the helpful stuff already given on those who could help you. Of course they charge a fee (just like your lawyer in U.K) but in the long term that is cheaper than chasing down dead end streets of enquiry.

dreamer

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 07:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

www.videofilmingservices.co.uk will cover your special day

christabella

Message Posted:
14/06/2011 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Thank you for all the replies. Yes Marion i did have a thread on here before and no doubt i will have a few morre. I have pretty much all in hand but was just concerned re the paperwork needed as wasnt get much help from the TRNC Embassy. The Church has been very helpful and i have completed everything needed for that. I am now concentrating on the civil cermony.

Marion

Message Posted:
14/06/2011 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

glad you are making progress. I assume now you have all the info you want re the civil ceremony and that the Chaplain told you what paper work you had to do. so presumably now you just sit back, relax and look forward to it (apart from lodging your paperwork in London!)

Hope you have a fab day.

christabella

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

Yes Marion i am nearly there but still a few bits to do eg entertainment etc. BUt these are the happy things to source not the dreary old paperwork.

Biggles

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Hi,

If you are wanting a Church wedding, you do NOT need to have a civil wedding first. If you want a Church wedding, you must fly into Cyprus via the south side and do all the paperwork on the south side. (Richard Frost, the Chaplain, can help you with this via the Church's office in south Nicosia). You can get your Certificate of Non Impediments done on the south side for 6 Euros.

If you want a civil wedding, then you must fly into Cyprus via the north side. You must get a UK solicitor to prepare the Certificates and the charge is around £70.00 each. You must then take these to the TRNC Consulate in London and then register the papers in Nicosia at least 10 days before the actual day.

This is where a wedding planners earn their keep!

Look at http://www.northcyprusweddings.net or give me a call 01293 431958

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.