North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice about Mobile phones in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice about Mobile phones in TRNC

Advice about Mobile phones in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Becky123

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi there, moving out in Aug, can anyone advise please about mobile phones there and is there anyway we can transfer same mobile number that we have in UK? Thanks

erolz

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

There is no equivalent of 'number transfer' internationaly for mobile phone numbers like there is in countries for transfer between operators. Your choice when you come to the TRNC would be to keep you UK number and contract with your current UK operator and use this via their 'roaming' rates which will be very very expensive (and will charge for incomming as well as outgoing calls) or to get a new sim from one of the two TRNC local mobile phone companies complete with a new phone number.

Becky123

Message Posted:
10/06/2011 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Many thanks erolz - that is what we were expecting. Looks like my husband will need to buy himself out of vodafone contract here and we will get phones when we come over. What are the deals like in TRNC with the two companies please?

erolz

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

The two companies are KKTCell, know as turkcell and telsim. I think they broadly offer similar services and packages, but turkcell seems to have better support for english speaking customers. At least thats been my experience but I am not a big mobile phone user myself and havent really investigated the options. KKTCell has an english language website showing various tarrif options here

http://www.kktcell.com/pages/2305.aspx

If telsim has an equivalent in english I am not aware of it.

me-style

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 01:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

This is an nosense question, you cannot bring a phone number from one country to another, you can use the phone number from where you come and pay the roaming fees. If you do not want to pay then you will have to get a KKTC number

Earlybird

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 06:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Easiest way is to buy a sim free phone in the UK (play.com or Amazon) and buy your new sim here as I believe phones are cheaper in the UK

nostradamus

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 07:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Both Turkcell and Telsim offer package deals here but you would need to enquire from both as to which of their offerings suit your circumstances. Contracts are far cheaper than pay as you go deals with both operators. I have a Telsim contract and pay 69TL a month for 500 minutes of calls to any phone in the TRNC which is ideal for me. There are other packages that include overseas calls as well which I don't want because, like most people here, I use Skype for these calls. Bring your phones from the UK though and get them unlocked here as this would be cheaper than buying here and can be done easily.

Groucho

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

I would recommend that you use PAYT to start with, for these reasons...

1. If you take out a Telsim contract and find all your new-found friends are on the other network it's a mistake. One you can easily rectify with a PAYT SIM.

2. A contract is only cheaper for those who make more than the standing contract charge worth of calls per month.

We have never done this as we use Skype most often to call family and friends.

OK at first you are going to make quite regular calls back to UK but once you get sorted with Skype it's got to be the way to go... so don't jump at a contract until you've done your sums and the initial flurry of frantic calls to the UK has subsided somewhat... and if you take to life here, they will.

proger1

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 08:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Groucho,

Not to mention the fact that you can only get a contract if you have residency, unless that has changed recently.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
11/06/2011 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

when i got my contract i was asked for my resi

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.