North Cyprus Tourist Board - EU proposes €7.6 million in drought aid
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > EU proposes €7.6 million in drought aid

EU proposes €7.6 million in drought aid

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
27/10/2008 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

Copied from Cyprus Eastern Forum:

THE European Commission yesterday proposed granting Cyprus €7.6 million in aid from the European Union Solidarity Fund to help the island meet emergency costs to cover drought damages.

This would include the cost of transporting water from Greece, a statement from the Commission said.

Regional Policy Commissioner Danuta Hübner, responsible for the EU Solidarity Fund, said: “I am very happy that the College of Commissioners has endorsed my proposal: this is the first time we have used the Solidarity Fund to provide financial aid for emergency measures in response to an exceptional drought. Today's decision demonstrates that, when a major natural disaster strikes, the European Union will stand at the side of its Member States."

The cumulative effect of the drought in Cyprus had led to serious consequences for living conditions, the economy and the natural environment, as well as a massive reduction in water levels on the island, the Commis

Biker

Message Posted:
28/10/2008 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

I bet NC does not get to see a penny of this.

newlad

Message Posted:
28/10/2008 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Biker,

Hows the water pipeline from turkey coming along.Seems strange to me that the root cause of the problem isnt looked at first before the drought situation happens.The problem will not go away it will increase year on year.

WAZ-24-7

Message Posted:
29/10/2008 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Water Pipeline is to be financed by Turkey. Plans and designs have apperently been approved. I suspect that construction will take some time. Its over 40 miles but very do able. I would say that if all goes well then about another two years.

South Cyprus have de salination plants but these cannot keep up with the demand for water.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.