North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cyprus Mail - refusing military service in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cyprus Mail - refusing military service in TRNC

Cyprus Mail - refusing military service in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

erolz

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 02:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/i-would-rather-go-jail-do-army-service/20110615

I do not often post such links but this one caught my eye. Have to say 'respect' to this man.

philbailey

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 02:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

the comments are very interesting

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Who the Hell is going to attack either part of Cyprus - that is, of course, unless Turkey have further 'expansionist aims'?

Total disarmament and the abandonment of military service by both sides would, perhaps, prove the precursor to a peaceful solution.

However, unfortunately, the RoC church will always do their utmost to prevent any settlement.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Very true, religion is the root of a lot of evil, but somehow humanity insists on having a comforter

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

I can understand a Cypriot not wanting to wage war with another Cypriot. This sentiment should be honoured if the Turkish army openly state that TC's will be expected to war against GC's in the event of war breaking out.

Its not true that Turkey and Azerbaijan are the only countries that only permit people to opt out of military service for medical reasons. Switzerland expects its men to do extensive national service, in fact they have to give up one year for training, and can only get out of it after a thorough medical examination.

Personally I think all males should do military service combined with some sort of community engagement. They can learn essential discipline. In my experience Swiss men are extremely disciplined often starting work at 7.30 a.m. The Swiss army is called out immediately to help in national disasters. It works well and Swiss guys still maintain good academic grades, although the country is more apprenticeship driven.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
16/06/2011 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Probably due to computer games and a mores sedentary lifestyle British youngsters are losing body mass. Military service could provide them with essential body discipline.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.