North Cyprus Tourist Board - IDEA: Charge incoming people 50 (?) Sterling/Euros at border crossings
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > IDEA: Charge incoming people 50 (?) Sterling/Euros at border crossings

IDEA: Charge incoming people 50 (?) Sterling/Euros at border crossings

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 51 in Discussion

Idea for the TRNC government: charge incoming guests into TRNC 50 (or less/more) Sterling/Euros at a border crossing - if they can't show an airline ticket with Ercan as the final destination*.

* Or a boat ticket Turkey-Girne.

Reason: There are several carriers flying Western Europe -> TRNC, so why support the RoC (Greek speaking Cyprus) in any way - until it stops trying to strangle TRNC.

Awaiting pro and contra replies in this civilized thread...

Groucho

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 07:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 51 in Discussion

Would that not discourage them from coming to the north where they might spend more than the charge and hear something of life here?

Probably a counter-productive move if it ever happened.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 2, Groucho: Point for you. But: Greek speaking Cypriots and RoC residents could be excluded.

bondi

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 51 in Discussion

Many airports in UK are not well served with flights to Ercan - if you live around Stansted/Heathrow and Gatwick you are OK but live further away and what choice do you have but to fly to Larnaca? This may be an idea to be mooted when there is a choice of airlines flying to Ercan- at present this idea, if actioned, would look like a "fine". I think it was about two years ago or thereabouts that CTA wanted a 50 pound levy on those that came across the border having flown to Larnaca.

You mention - why support the ROC? By just passing through and not spending any money inROC until you get through the border must get up their noses. Personally I use Pegasus but I can get to Stansted OK, when I have used them they are on time and whilst I have to pay for food I dont mind - I am on my way.

Looking at the different threads on 44 there appears to be problems with all of the airlines both north and south - Monarch dates/times and Onur.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 4, bondi: (...) Many airports in UK are not well served with flights to Ercan - if you live around Stansted/Heathrow and Gatwick you are OK but live further away and what choice do you have but to fly to Larnaca? (...)

▶ Drive to Stansted/Heathrow and Gatwick? Solidarity sometimes comes with a price.

I think this is the list of carriers flying to and from Ercan: Turkish Airlines, Pegasus, Onur and Corendon.

gooligan

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 51 in Discussion

Dutch,I think the TRNC Government is doing a pretty good job of strangling itself with out any help.

Dont forget,post 9/11,CTA were 1 of just of 2 airlines worldwide making a profit.

Then the Government took over,the airline failed and we are still waiting for the promised new one.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 51 in Discussion

Fying to and from Ercan is Turkish Airlines, Atlasjet, Pegasus, Anadolujet, Onur and Correndon

gooligan

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 51 in Discussion

Re msg 5,

Say you lived in Inverness in Scotland,would anyone drive 700km's to prove a point?

And then drive 700km's back again once you had made your point?

misunderstood

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 51 in Discussion

NOt one of your better ideas DC - how about paying people to visit, looking at some the deals on now, it is almost getting that way. Then send them to the harbour to be ripped off. THis is definetly turning into a one trip country, people come, get ripped off, never return.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 6, gooligan: I agree that a lot of things could be done a lot better in TRNC (in my opinion). But I don't think that talking the country down time and time again (unfortunately too many examples on this C44 board) - we are mere guests here - will help change anything. There are many decent Cypriot Turks in TRNC and I hardly believe that they really appreciate to be called crooks in general. It will only feed hostile feelings. But this a subject for another thread - back on topic, OK?

@ msg 7, pugwash: You're right. Just for the record (no offense meant): Correndon has one 'r' (Corendon).

@ msg 8, gooligan: (...) Say you lived in Inverness in Scotland,would anyone drive 700km's to prove a point? (...)

▶ Can one fly from Inverness to Larnaca easily? If so: fine - pay at the border crossing.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 9, misunderstood: (...) Then send them to the harbour to be ripped off. THis is definetly turning into a one trip country, people come, get ripped off, never return. (...)

▶ Slightly of topic, but... Two days ago my wife and I were in Girne harbour and had a rosé wine and two large beers. Bill: 20 TL (9 Euros). Ripped off? I don't think so. It's a wonderful place and all over the world you have to pay a bit extra for a special ambiance and surroundings. It's nothing different along the North Sea coastline - or maybe I should say it's not different in Holland. Is it different along the British coastline in the popular sea resorts? Inexpensive wine and inexpensive beers?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 51 in Discussion

God morning Hans !

I see you forgot the ECHR decision (2003) that MADE Turkey open the gates..

TC Doctor took TR to the ECHR- because they didn't allow freedom of movement for CYPRIOTS..

Hippo

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 51 in Discussion

What they should do is charge for the visa-as we hold residency we pay each year/or two now.

Yet some people refuse to do that wander across at the border come back and get another 90 days.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 12, 6*m: Morning, Mark! With you on (the) board - how could I forget the ECHR and its fine decisions..? Who wrote anything about a restriction of the freedom of movement for Cypriots or anyone else..?!

I'm just suggesting and pleading for a new rule (which is not very unusual in TRNC nor in the RoC, is it?).

See my msg 3.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 13, Hippo: (...) What they should do is charge for the visa-as we hold residency we pay each year/or two now. Yet some people refuse to do that wander across at the border come back and get another 90 days. (...)

▶ Give the 90 days visa a number (in the computers at the border) and don't allow such visa holders a new, subsequent visa within 30 days or so after the expiration date of the previous one.

japeal

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 51 in Discussion

What about people who go to the south on holiday and sometimes visit the north for a day trip on a greek cypriot bus, would you charge them? If so trips would stop and therefore less tourists spending money over here. I use Ercan and Larnaca, depends on flight s avaiable to/from Manchester and prices. I take into account fuel costs going to/from Larnaca. Sometimes good prices by Pegasus other times total rip off prices, when they provide realistic prices I would always use Ercan.

TinLondon

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 51 in Discussion

What a crazy idea! so based on your suggested figure Hans, a family of 4 will pay 200 Euros. That really will have a positive impact on tourism, NOT! I'm confused, are you trying to encourage people to go to the TRNC or stop them altogether? Not only will that stop or reduce the number of people that fly in to the South coming to the TRNC, it will also stop day visitors who are the bloodline for the local shops around the crossing. As if it wasn't enough that tourists have to pay rip of charges for using the beaches, high prices for drinks and hotels now they'll have to pay to enter? At the end of the day, what is it exactly you're offering the paying tourists that they can't find at any other non-charging holiday destination??? It sounds to me, it's just another way to line the pockets of the government.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 51 in Discussion

re msg 14

Hans

OK.. I admit I didn't read msg 3 ...

But I think charging would be counter-productive.. unless you seek increased 'solitude' ;)

the butler

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 51 in Discussion

Hippo,

Very good point and excellent idea, I have never understood why you have to pay £10 for a visa in Turkey and nothing here. If they charged the same as Turkey it still only makes it £40 per year if one gets a 90 day visa,

instead of the charge for residency. I think Dutch's idea with the charge for the visa might work and more people

would then take up temporary residency.

The butlers wife

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 16, japeal: (...) What about people who go to the south on holiday and sometimes visit the north for a day trip on a greek cypriot bus, would you charge them? (...)

▶ No, I don't think that would be a good or fair idea. So: day trips are excluded. Good point, Japeal.

@ msg 17, TinLondon: (...) What a crazy idea! so based on your suggested figure Hans, a family of 4 will pay 200 Euros. That really will have a positive impact on tourism, NOT! (...)

▶ Good point also: children are excluded, because they are not responsible for their parents' decision to fly to an airport in RoC. Save or compensate the transportation costs Larnaca/Paphos -> TRNC : fly to Ercan.

@ msg 18, 6*m: (...) But I think charging would be counter-productive.. unless you seek increased 'solitude' ;) (...)

▶ I don't think the RoC government needs my help or ideas to increase the 'solitude' of the TRNC. They (RoC) are doing a despicable job for decades now.

Erkin

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 51 in Discussion

Guys and Girls,

While you a bickering about border crossing and levies, you seem to foregt one point here. All of these problems are not caused by the TRNC goverment or the Goverment of Cyprus,

1.Under the UN agreement suggestions were put forward last year that the old aiport in Nicosia pre 74 be done up and opened to both TRNC & ROC direct flights with entry border at the Airport, but our friendly TC goverment rejected this idea on the grounds that slots for flights from Turkey will be reduced hence making it a problem for T.C Airlines to earn money.

2.Up until 2005 a Entry fee was paid at the border but as Cyprus is part of the E.U then we are also part of E.U as a whole country so therefor any fee paid by E.U citizens is deemed illegal.

3.What this goverment should do is make it easier for e.u and non eu citizens to right to get a resident permit rather than charge people entering the country which will cause fewer toursit to come if they had to pay to enter.

andy2b123

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 51 in Discussion

My wife and I allways used Kibris untill the service deterated and they started to make the flight very unpleasent. We switched to Turkish Airlines 100% better service.

When Kibris went bust they increased the return fare by £200 per person.

We now fly to Larnaca with an English airline at a resonable cost and that takes into account the £50 taxi fare paided to a Turkish Cypriate.

Get real

batterboy58

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 51 in Discussion

We always try to use Ercan wherever possible as we do feel an allegiance to the TRNC, however since the collapse of CTA and its slow replacement it seems that Pegasus enjoy a near monopoly on direct flights and as a result prices have become more expensive. As for a £50 charge at the border, one must remember that already it costs around £80 for a return taxi fare to Larnaca against most car hire firms picking up from Ercan for free. This must be taken into account when comparing prices and should result in most cases Ercan working out the better deal.

This is all well and good if one lives within easy distance of Stansted but I do not believe that peopla should be penalised for living in Inverness.

Surely it is up to the TRNC government to encourage tourism and people to use their airport by providing more convenient flights from more UK airports by whatever means that they can even though their hands are tied a bit with restrictions, I still think that they could do more.

wattys

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 51 in Discussion

It's difficult enough at the moment to get visitors to the north, charging for people to come over the border would be totally counter productive to tourism.

Goonerboy

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 51 in Discussion

Hans, you need to spend less time in the sun

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 21, Erkin: (...) as Cyprus is part of the E.U then we are also part of E.U as a whole country so therefor any fee paid by E.U citizens is deemed illegal. (...)

▶ I would agree with you if it wasn't all so one-sided. "Being part of the EU" - why then is my TRNC driving license not valid in Holland, the UK or anywhere else in the EU? The TRNC is deemed an illegal entity by the EU - so what would the TRNC law makers bother about the EU at this stage of the so-called "talks about the Talks"?

But: back on topic.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 25, Goonerboy: (...) Hans, you need to spend less time in the sun (...)

▶ Interesting contribution. Because last time you added a one-liner to one of my posts you told me to spend MORE time in the sun.

Back on topic (started in msg 1).

dalartokat

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 51 in Discussion

Making a charge would mean you have to give something back in return. A tourist would want to know that beaches were free to use and everything(more or less) was clean, free from rubbish, good pavements to walk on, places to see etc., so the charge was worth making. I would be more concerned who was going to be the keeper of this money to be made if it ever took off and how they would spend this money. So far TRNC has not been very accountable on where its money has been spent. Spain charges an environmental tax now to preserve water etc.

I believe Turkey made a mistake sometime back by reducing their 180 days to 90 days that someone could stay in that country, until it was pointed out that people who went on holiday, liked it so much bought a holiday home and wanted to return a few times and it caused a problem for them and so, in turn, affected tourism.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the principal of charging to enter a country providing its managed well.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 51 in Discussion

Msg 19 - I am sure that the £10 charged by Turkey is multiple entry for one year.

So good value if you want to go over 3 or 4 times in that period.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 51 in Discussion

No suehowlittle it is multiple entry for 90 days.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 51 in Discussion

I sooooo wish that the old airport in Nicosia/Lefkosa could be modernised and opened to both communities. This potentially could give us 'direct flights' and would satisfy both sides.

Why did it not happen?

Who blew the idea out of the sky? (poor pun)

Troodo

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 51 in Discussion

How about following the French example and make a Tax of 500tl, per year, for all holiday homes.

negativenick

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 51 in Discussion

mess 1 - another daft comment....

i'd stick to chess if i were you................

Troodo

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 51 in Discussion

I see you forgot the ECHR decision (2003) that MADE Turkey open the gates..

Where did you dig that one up from, mm? As far as I remember, the GC government were far from happy to allow their people access to the North. Today they try to tell the world it was their initiative to allow access.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 51 in Discussion

Thanks for putting me right Pugwash! Thought it was for a year.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 51 in Discussion

Without a doubt this is the nuttiest idea ever to be aired on this Forum whilst I have been a member.

But at least it got you all talking.

It is a scary thought that the present government might read this and think 'Eureka!' If this happens Hans, you will definitely be a little less popular! Can the last man out turn off the lights........?

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 51 in Discussion

We go to Turkey twice a year and pay the £10 visa each, if we go twice within 3months then we only pay for one visa each. We have been to most of the resorts in Turkey and have never had to pay to go on a beach, sometimes there is a small charge for a sunbed but even if you only buy a drink the charge is waived, the beaches are cleaned by the council, bins are collected every day, litter bins are emptied frequently.With regards to flights from Manchester I have booked Monarch for December £509 for two, with Turkish Airlines the cost was £670 each, no contest.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 36, suehowlittle: (...) Without a doubt this is the nuttiest idea ever to be aired on this Forum whilst I have been a member. (...)

▶ It's not hard to find even nuttier threads on this board...

(...) It is a scary thought that the present government might read this and think 'Eureka!' If this happens Hans, you will definitely be a little less popular! Can the last man out turn off the lights........? (...)

▶ I, a 'bl**dy foreigner', 'fulltime anti-Brit' etc etc etc, have no illusions about my popularity with some on this board...

Back on topic.

JohnDownes

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 51 in Discussion

DC makes the mistake of thinking that the government here is short of tax income.

It is not. It raises loads of the stuff. Where the problem lies in the amount it is spending and wasting.

THAT'S the area it needs to address. Cut the payroll. Reduce the wage bill. When that is done there will be plenty of money.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 51 in Discussion

Hans, it was very much a tongue in cheek posting, I do know that there are nuttier postings on here and who said you were a Brit hater? As for you being a foreigner - aren't we all?

Please do not be offended, accept it in the spirit with which it was intended. Just a bit of fun!

Pugwash

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 51 in Discussion

Message 31, it appears there is little or no chance of the old Nicosia airport now being able to be "re-opened" due to new regulations worldwide concerning International airports and is close proximity now to new housing, if only it had not closed or re-opened years ago it may be different but it would have been a good solution, just no goodwill on either side.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
17/06/2011 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 40, suehowlittle: (...) Hans, it was very much a tongue in cheek posting, I do know that there are nuttier postings on here and who said you were a Brit hater? As for you being a foreigner - aren't we all? Please do not be offended, accept it in the spirit with which it was intended. Just a bit of fun! (...)

▶ Sue, your intention was understood! Postings like yours: my tongue is in the other cheek and I'm smiling!

Blackbird

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 00:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 51 in Discussion

Message 36 - whether tongue in cheek or not - you are far too close to the truth..........

newscoop

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 51 in Discussion

Pugwash;

As a regular visitor to the old airport the last time being last week where is the new housing that effects the flight path and approaches to the airport?

You'll find more of such at Ercan, Gecitkale, Larnaca, and Pathos.

YFred

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 51 in Discussion

No need to open the yerolako airport, my fascistaki cousins south of the border can use Ercan just as easily. It's a bit of pride they have to swallow but hey there used to it.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 51 in Discussion

DC - Glad you are smiling, means that all is well in your world!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 51 in Discussion

@ msg 43, Blackbird: (...) Message 36 - whether tongue in cheek or not - you are far too close to the truth.......... (...)

▶ Thanks for bothering to type a reply. For only a second I hoped for once you'd have something interesting to say in a thread - but no.

Back on topic - see msg 1.

denizen

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 51 in Discussion

Msg 11 ...@ msg 9, misunderstood: (...) Then send them to the harbour to be ripped off. THis is definetly turning into a one trip country, people come, get ripped off, never return. (...)

▶ Slightly of topic, but... Two days ago my wife and I were in Girne harbour and had a rosé wine and two large beers. Bill: 20 TL (9 Euros). Ripped off? I don't think so......

If I as making 300tl for one hour advertising "the harbour" then I wouldn't feel "ripped off" at these prices either. Not that I am saying that any "visitor" would do this. Purely hypothetical.

hwilde

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 51 in Discussion

DC

If the government want to raise revenue given, as they claim, that there are so many illegals here working and running businesses without paying taxes they should make the following changes to the tax regime.

Reduce Income Tax, Social Security and taxes on profit to NI, or at best to a nominal account just so they can keep tans on who is who. Then increase indirect taxes, KDC (VAT) and import duties etc. . They should also dramatically increase tax on alcohol and cigarettes. In that way everyone is caught in the tax net. Big shift from tax on earning to tax on spending.

Then of course crack down on illegals where ever they are. I'm sure you would go along with that.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 17:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 51 in Discussion

Re : Msg 1,

IMO it could be counterproductive: will discourage many tourists from visiting TRNC, when it desperately needs more visitors, not less.

In times of austerity and competition some countries are introducing visa waiver agreements to attract more tourists ( e.g. Turkey, Croatia etc.). To do the opposite doesn't seem to be logical to me.

£200 (for a family of four) is quite a hefty sum.

Another point on the subject of choosing airports, apart from distance and transport link to it: some people can not take long flights for medical reasons ( e.g. DVT, heart conditions etc.), so going on a direct , shorter flight is vital to them.

P.S. People who don't mind additional bill of £200 or so usually go on painting holidays to Siena, Carcassonne or Cognac.

Agobard

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 08:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 51 in Discussion

Never mind foreigners coming here, try asking the Turkish Cypriots what they would think about charging them for arriving via Larnaca! I know of several UK based TCs who insist on flying here with BA every time. Why? They want to use Heathrow and don't want to change in Istanbul.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.