North Cyprus Tourist Board - did you bring your superstitions to north cyprus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > did you bring your superstitions to north cyprus?

did you bring your superstitions to north cyprus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

pc4854

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 5 in Discussion

I was just wondering why the Brit's are so superstitious. You must have heard people saying something and then add "Touch wood". You must have seen people veer around a ladder rather than walk below, maybe quite sensible. What of the people who spill salt and throw a pinch over their left shoulder to avoid bad luck. Why is a single magpie a bad omen? Are you on the alert for black cats crossing your path? I just wonder WHY? The ladder is reasonable, if someone is up it they may drop something on your head, the black cat maybe a throw back to witches and witchcraft but why would touching a piece of wood help? Should it be a particular type of wood? I am sitting next to a piece of Japanese Oak, so I'll just touch it before I post - Just in case!!

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 5 in Discussion

In England, a black cat crossing in front of you is considered lucky, the opposite of in this part of the world! The one thing that I bought with me from Turkey is never put your handbag directly on the ground, or else all your money will run away! That is why mine is always on a chair! (It seems to be true, by the way)

Suffolk

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 5 in Discussion

Haven't necessarily brought them with us but have a few Nazar Boncugu's (evil eye - blue beads) around the place - just in case !!!

lionel

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 5 in Discussion

horses for courses..every country has silly superstitions!! not just the Brits

CyprusBrad

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 06:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 5 in Discussion

Msg 2

Friend found out another reason not to put her handbag on the floor! Mouse jumped into it!

I always touch wood, not sure why or when it started, just do it without thinking now!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.