North Cyprus Tourist Board - Sandfly disease - can we develop an immunity? - important to all!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Sandfly disease - can we develop an immunity? - important to all!

Sandfly disease - can we develop an immunity? - important to all!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

Five years ago I contracted Sandfly disease. I had flown back to the UK without knowing I was compromised and was quite seriously ill for about 3 weeks. (My doctor's best guess of the symptoms) Another friend had it at exactly the same time and had also gone home. This was in the height of the building here and there was sand blowing everywhere, I wondered whether this was where it come from (probably not but ignorance of the facts leads one to suppose all sorts of things)

What I would really appreciate knowing is: Can I contract this illness again or will I now have a natural immunity?

Anyone else been there, done that and know the answer. I would appreciate your input on this one.

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

YES it's seems what you had was "Sand-fly fever"... similar to influenza..and you can contract it again . but more to the point is, if you contract Leishmaniasis from sand fly bites you could find yourself with a disease that could in some cases leave you with sever Liver damage....Sand-flies are not just a pest ,they can be a serious "Health Hazard"Be careful,don't go out without your insect repellent...

Pugwash

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

You will have some immunity for sure but this is different for all people, some people will be total and some very little.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

Not very reassuring is it?

Pugwash

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

No not really.

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

Sue I was told that you cant have it twice but I did. Second time laid me up for a few weeks.

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

Same as that Lilli. I wish people would take insect bites more seriously, mozzies (the diseases they spread)kill many thousands of people World Wide each year...We are fortunate not to have Malaria at the "moment" but who's to say in future...........

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

Wish I had never asked! Scary isn't it? I will never go out again without a repellent, I just hate them because they smell so bad. I heard that there is a 'wipe' which does not smell so much but have not been able to locate them.

Not really reacting now to Mozzie bites - well not the huge lumps I used to get so must have a little immunity from that. Did anyone see Cypriots covered in bites or are they naturally immune? Yorgo??

Lilli

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

Sue I use Avon Skin So Soft and that works for me, I also take vit b tablets. Now you mention it I dont think I have seen any cypriots covered in bites.

rosylee

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Hi Sue....you have my phone number.if you would send your email address in a text ,I will forward good info on sand fly problems/symptoms/avoidence/treatment.

Best wishes

Janet

Deniz1

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

Sand fly refers to their colour not sand they like damp same as mosquitoes. I had the virus very badly second year not so bad now hardly at all.

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Also like mozzies they hide in dark places during the day,..Spray "VAPE"under beds and furniture as well as curtains,Use "VAPE" spray in Bedrooms,before bed ,close the doors for 30mins ...Sleep safe!!

Smity

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

HI Sue

Like you I had it on my first time out nearl 4 years ago. and as you say it knocks you for 6, It took me a good 5 weeks to get completly over it

I have searched the web but ther is nothing to support if you can or cant get it again

I personally have not, but was advised to take 1 300mg capsual af garlic every day, this will also help from mozzy bites

And keeps the vamipres at bay to LOL

Hope this helps

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

Msg 10 my email address is suehowlittle@aol.com and I do not have your phone number to text it to you

Groucho

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

Sand-flies love the damp conditions in the plant pots many folk cultivate on their window sills.

joandjelly

Message Posted:
18/06/2011 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

Most people that move here contract it in the first year, both my husband and I did. Unfortunately, I know a number of people that have had it more than once. So far so good for us thankfully.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 09:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

suehowlittle/Msg 14:

Some supermarkets here stock 'Vape' insect repellent wipes - they're in a lime-green coloured pack.

Failing finding that, the 'Vape' mossie/sandfly repellent cream [same colour bottle] is your next best bet.

Buy citronella oil in 'Homebase' [South] and burn in oil burning lamps - buy several! Many people burn mosquito coils on their patios.

Spray bedroom walls, curtains [back & front] with 'Alpha Cypermethrin' - now available in 'Homebase' - it wasn't before. While in 'Homebase', buy their [green & white coloured] 1500ml pressure sprayer - you'll only need 2ml of 'Alpha Cypermethrin', then fill it to the 1500ml mark with water and give it a thorough shake up.

This spray will deal to any other 'nasties & bities' - ants, cockroaches, bed-bugs, etc.!

The 'Sicilian Sandfly' has long been immune from 'Permithrin' sprays, which seem to be the only available one in TRNC.

If spending evenings on the patio, make sure you spray walls & furniture.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Message 17 - sounds so drastic but I'm going to get it anyway. and the pressure sprayer. My hubbie has lung disease so spraying in the house is a no no, but outside, all those garden walls etc.

What I do not want to do is kill the lovely lizards which live there, can you read the bottle for me please and tell me whether it is safe for them or not? I know, I know soppy but I do care about them.

Thankyou so much for your help everyone.

p4aul

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 11:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/riemann-mosquit-ex-insect-repellent_1_6513.html

Riemann Mosquit-Ex Insect Repellentwith unique slow release formula insures long term protection from stinging and biting insects. It’s developed to be highly efficient, convenient in use, odour-free and with the use of a minimum quantity of active ingredients.

• Riemann Mosquit-Ex Insect Repellant is an effective repellent against mosquitoes and other biting insects giving high protection for up to 12 hours.

• It is odourless 2-3 minutes after application

• Gives continual high protection due to a sustained release formulation.

eagleyemonkey

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 12:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

Could some one please describe the symtoms of this.

I am wondering if it was this a couple of friends of mine came home with from Cyprus.

Thanks for your reply/s in advance.

nurseawful

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

http://www.privatehealth.co.uk/diseases/infections/sandfly-fever/

This web site will help but the symptoms are different for everyone, some people have bad stomach cramps and diarrhoea with it, others only have the symptoms listed on the above link.

Hope this helps.

Chris

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

I had flu-like symptons, banging head, high temperature, all joints hurting etc, this then moved on to quite a severe chest infection which lasted for about 2 weeks, the worst of all though was that for a period of 6 weeks or so, every time I sat down I fell asleep, I think my body was at a very low ebb at that point. I have never been so ill with influenza before as lucky to have a great immune system, my friends husband, who had also returned to the UK around the same time as me had exactly the same symptoms including the falling asleep all the time.

Really do hope that I have some antibodies to deal with the next lot!

Just hope you don't catch it because its something which just has to run its course!

Enchanted

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Eat marmite. Full of vitamine B. Helps to make you unpalitable to biting insects. Of course still take precautions against being bitten. I think spreading it on your skin might also help. Discusting stuff!

erolz

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

suehowlittle you will develop natural immunity from having caught the virus transmitted by the sand fly. How long and how effective such imunity is against the variants of the virus carried by the sand flys here I am not sure it can be accurately said.

Lilli

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

For me second time no warning , I went to get my shower ready for work and the sickness started and didnt stop for 5 days. I couldnt even keep water in. However I could drink sprakling water. Headaches and such fatigue. Sleep every second i wanted to sleep.Your limbs and muscles feel like lead.I stayed in for 5 days then had to go to work but to this day the tiredness and fatigue has not left. I had scars on my back but since my return from UK they have gone. I did take a lot of Dioralite that helped with the dehydration. It does affect everybody differently. I take VitB muti complex now , aloe vera, and avon spray. Never want it again. Many years ago I had ME it was like that xxxx

Tootie

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Msg 17.

The 'Sicilian Sandfly' has long been immune from 'Permithrin' sprays, which seem to be the only available one in TRNC.

Most TRNC sprays contain "Tetramethrin"

martinD41

Message Posted:
19/06/2011 22:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

All good advice for protecting ones self from Sand Fly fever... however sand Flies also spread a potentially deadly disease called....Lieshmaniasis.....Will you all please wake up to the fact that Insect Bites in the TRNC are not to be taken lightly.............BE CAREFUL, this Island is more dangerous in terms of insect born disease than the Everglades .......wake up !!!!!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

suehowlittle/msg 17:

'Cypermethrin' is used to control fleas and ticks on cattle - but DO NOT APPLY to domestic pets; cats & dogs, etc.

It is widely used outside and inside commercial premises in USA, Australia & NZ, hotels, motels, clubs, so is safe for humans, unless ingested. Therefore, your hubby shouldn't suffer adverse effects, unless he breathed in large amounts of vapour while you, or he, is spraying.

He would be more likely to 'keel over' from breathing in the 'stuff' your local belediye spray with their mist sprayer mounted double-cab - I wouldn't discount the possibility that this 'brew' contains 'Methomyl', otherwise notoriously known as 'Lannate' - the chemical used to bait the meat that kills people's dogs and cats!

Perhaps some member of the TRNC belediye(s) would like to divulge on this forum exactly what the chemical constituents are... ???

martinD41/msg 27: How right you are! If only unenlightened Brits would heed your words!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.