North Cyprus Tourist Board - what school should i send my kids if not private
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > what school should i send my kids if not private

what school should i send my kids if not private

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

nickibee

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 18 in Discussion

does anyone know the best public school for sending kids aged 5, 11 and 12. and does anyone have the numbers for them tried in vain to find but alas no luck..... closest to catalkoy but really want the best schools possible

parkview

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 18 in Discussion

The only thing you have to bear in mind if you send them locally is their homework will be in Turkish which is fine if your partner is Cypriot/Turkish otherwise she/he may struggle as you wont be able to help them, that is the down side.

nickibee

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 18 in Discussion

thanks for that... do you know the names or numbers of any schools

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 15:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 18 in Discussion

A school which follows the English curriculum with lessons given in English is going to be easiest on the kids. It will be hard enough for them without getting all their tuition in Turkish. Having said all that, it is absolutely essential that they learn the language so that they are not disadvantaged in any way. They learn so fast, its truly amazing how quickly they become fluent.

martinD41

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 18 in Discussion

I thought the object of homework was to allow the Teachers to asses the children's Knowledge absorption,not to see whether they had "Bright" Parents...........Mind you that was in the "Days of Discipline"..Now long gone I'm afraid....

nickibee

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 16:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 18 in Discussion

so i take it no one knows the names or numbers of any public schools ....

numbers

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 18 in Discussion

Not sure if it would be of any use to you to have the telephone numbers they are all closed now for 3 months.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 18 in Discussion

nickibee;

You can't just go on and ask for number/s of school/s without stating where you live in the first place.If you want your child/s to go to public school,it'd have to be the nearest to you.

It might be helpfull to google,.....ie.Lapta ilkokulu.....Lapta ortaokulu

There are also public english schools but kids need to sit up exams to get to them,which I'm sure your kids wouldn't have a problem passing it.However,those places are mainly for local kids.It took me year and a half to geyt our older to go there and thank god she had passed.

One another thing regarding local public schools here is that,kids has to sit 4 sets of exams a year and pass them in order to qualify for following year,if not pass,must do the same year again.

One way of looking at that is good,since they have to pass,which means they have to study all the time,unlike in uk.

Your choice at the end of the day.

Doola3

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Nicki,

My daughter recently sat an exam for On Dokus Mayis. Unfortunately, not being told by her current school that she needed to sit 2 exams at her current school as well she was obviously not offered a place. We are now in the process of trying to find her another state school. All of the exams (for the school that need them) are finished and the schools are in fact closed for the summer. The ministry of education are very helpful. Their website is http://www.mebnet.net . If you telephone them and ask for someone that speaks english they should give you all the information you need. I will also be doing the same tomorrow.

My son will also be starting state school in September (he is 7) and all that we need to do is go to the local school in Alsancak a few days before the new term starts. I am hoping that it is the same for my daughter but we shall see!!! If you hear anything different I would be grateful if you could let me know and I will do the same. I hope this helps a little

nickibee

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 02:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 18 in Discussion

thanks doola i will check with the ministry and get back to you

MartinM

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 18 in Discussion

The MAARIF KOLEJ schools ( One in each major connurbation) are reputedly good. Tuition is supposed to be in English for many subjects if not most. Theyare state schools and entry is determined by examination. In Kyrenia it is called ONDOKUZ MAYIS near the Lefkosa Roundabout.

ArCim

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 18 in Discussion

Hi,

I am not an education expert. I went to the following schools here in TRNC.

Sht Ertuğrul İlkokulu for primary (I am sending my 7-year-old here next year. He has only been here for a year now, and barely started to communicate in Turkish). Sht Ertugrul was founded sometime around 1975, and although it looks a little bit run down compared to the private schools, I still think it is still one of the best public ones. I still have confidence in the teachers.

Bayraktar Türk Maarif Koleji (for the middle school) also in English/Turkish prepares for UK, USA education

Türk Maarif Koleji (for High School) also in English/Turkish prepares for USA and UK educaiton

Many people who went through this route in my class ended up pretty successfull people...Now when it comes to primary schools, a lot of cypriots here seem to think in a bit of a racist way. They seem to say "If there are less Turkish in the School, then it is definitely better."

ArCim

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 18 in Discussion

That will direct you to private schools. I sent mine to "Levent" for a year and now, as mentioned, thinking of sending him to Ertuğrul.

These schools however are all in Nicosia.

Hope any of this helped

johnjengiz

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 17:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 18 in Discussion

Hi

I went to the Turk Marif Kolej in lefosa when I moved to cyprus as a child with my family.

It is a good school, the standard of education is a lot higher than that of the UK and a lot of the English kids struggled to keep up as the teachers do not give one to one help, they just come in and write a load of stuff on the black board.

You should also be aware that you do not automatically go up to the next year every year like you do in the UK. Every term you take exams for every subject and if you fail 3 of them you have to repeat the year.

At the kolej all of the subjects are taught in English following English text books, however, three lessons are taught in Turkish, Turkish, Turkish History, and Religion. They did not make any exceptions for the kids that did not know turkish, speaking turkish is ok, but not enough to pass exams in history and RE.

I had to repeat the year, although I passed all the english lessons with high grades. I eventually went back to uk

johnjengiz

Message Posted:
22/06/2011 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 18 in Discussion

continued....

I eventually went back to finish school in the UK, as it was obvious that I was never going to pass the year and it was a horrible time at school especially when you are one of the oldest in the class.

I would strongly advise that you think about sending kids to school in the TRNC, i would recommend that you allow them to finish school in the UK.

That is just my opinion, I hope this is of some help to you.

Regards

nickibee

Message Posted:
24/06/2011 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 18 in Discussion

thanks very much

johnjengiz

Message Posted:
24/06/2011 01:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 18 in Discussion

also forgot to mention, that you have to buy all your own text books and excersise books

Doola3

Message Posted:
27/06/2011 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 18 in Discussion

Hi Nicki,

I just wanted to update you on our progress with my daughter and schools. We have been told, even with HUGE amount of help from a Turkish friend or ours who has made several trips to the Ministry of education, that as she did not take the first 2 exams (even though we were not told about them at her current school) she had no chance of attending On Dokus Mayis. I believe that this is the same with all Turk Maarif Kolej schools.

We will now be sending her to local state school in Lapta which I have also been told is very good.

Good luck with anything you decide to do.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.