North Cyprus Tourist Board - tv on lap top how to and what to do
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > tv on lap top how to and what to do

tv on lap top how to and what to do

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

chriswife

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

we are moving out in August and want to use the laptop to get TV can anyone tell us what we need to get in terms of software also is it possible to download any soaps from the internet or any dramas etcx from uk or will we be just able to get turkish tv? All new to me thanks in advance!!

Gillsboy

Message Posted:
24/06/2011 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Hello Chriswife,

If you download Expatshield (it's a free download) you will be able to watch BBC live online and also BBC/ITV/C4/C5 IPlayers. Also, check out jaketv.co.uk for all your freeview channels + Sky sports 1-3.

Mark

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
24/06/2011 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Expat shield is OK but it does give you annoying pop ups and can change some of your settings if you aren't careful. I'll pay $5 a month for a UK VPN from hideIPVPN and it works really well. Unlike Expat shield it is a proper VPN (Virtual PRIVATE Network).

Then you can watch all the UK TV you like through BBC, ITV and SKY (Sky needs password) on line players providing you have a good internet connection.

For downloading UK TV programs the best website, by a mile, is http://www.thebox.bz.

HAVE FUN...

G

erolz

Message Posted:
24/06/2011 13:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

I agree with StGeorgeI as far as expat shield goes. I too use a paid for VPN service.

As far as content direct from the main channels goes, some allow download and some only allow 'streaming'. Streaming will require a decent (consistent) internet connection. Downloading does not.

BBC Iplayer - allows both streaming of content and download. 90%+ of BBC's content is available from here, usualy for a week after transmission. ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 also have online service but these only offer streaming. Sky has an online service for those with a sky account, this has both streaming and download options.

cypruseagle

Message Posted:
25/06/2011 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Try http://www.fire-stream.com Its free and dont need to hide your IP address

chriswife

Message Posted:
25/06/2011 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

that's great news will tell hubby

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

cypruseagle

just tried this fire-stream - it's free and it bloomin' useless.. I'm trying it on a 16Meg down / 1 Meg up connection - ADSL in the UK - and it CONSTANTLY buffers ( stalls ) - and it pushes ads at you..

Expatshield 'hijacks' your browser and also pushes ads

IF you can't get / don't want a dish.. and want to watch UK TV without ads - then the alternatives that WORK are paid for VPNs or may be a slingbox attached to a Freeview / SKY setup back in the UK

If you are living PERMANENTLY - I'd get a dish - and watch TV on a proper screen..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Brinsley

don't 'feed the troll'... and they will 'die'...

Brinsley

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 00:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Mark

Where did I get involved in this thread?!

Richard

Roomy

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

I tried the link and like mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm said it did buffer quite a bit the first time I tried it but I went back to it and it was ok, it might just need to settle down?

chriswife

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 04:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

yes we are emigrating

jamboree

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 08:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

hello chriswife, i had this problem evry time i tried to find a way to watch uk tv out in cyprus,

people told me i needed a sat dish the size nasa would use to recive signal from mars, but like you stated you want to watch uk tv on your pc.

i tried the free ones quoted here on this forum and they are real rubbish a total waste of time as they want to push ads to you.

then i found http://www.tvproxy.co.uk/ it works well but you need at least 1mb internet speed to watch trouble free, and it is 9 euros a month and you get all the the channels bbc1,2,3,4 etc itv 1,2,3,4,etc and so on. i am new on this forum so i dont know how to put the link up, but the address is correct. plus you can connect your laptop to you tv via hdmi cable or what ever connections you have it works ok. digiturk has bbcprime thing but that is rubbish too as they keep on showing the same old programs from many years ago and keep repeating them again and again. good luck & regards

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

re msg12

Hi Jamboree

1/ 9 Euros is a lot to pay when there are perfectly good VPNs for 5 GBP monthly.. - good enough to watch TV.. - many proxies don't allow downloading for viewing later and require modifying the browswer - VPNs just need turning on / off .

2/ As you are new here you might not know that a local ISP has been providing its subscribers a VPN - included in the price and I've been providing a free one .

3/ As Dutch Crusade will testify.. most of the time.. a slingbox connected to a freeview or SKY box in the UK gives the best choice of UK TV via a computer

4/ Unless you are getting a true HD feed ( and have a 6Mps / sec download capability) you aren't going to GET HD, full screen on a HD tv via a latop :(

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
26/06/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

@ msg 13, 6xm: (...) 3/ As DutchCrusader will testify.. most of the time.. a Slingbox connected to a freeview or SKY box in the UK gives the best choice of UK TV via a computer (...)

▶ We can watch a lot of UK channels and are very satisfied, Mark!

chriswife

Message Posted:
27/06/2011 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

omg i have read this to hubby thank god he gets it you lost me at 'download'

thanks everyone that's great info.

XX

erolz

Message Posted:
27/06/2011 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Just to add to marks post in msg 13 and his point 4

You will not be able to stream HD (high definition) content from sites like BBC with the internet connection here in the TRNC. You can however download such HD content from the BBC site where it is available. This would require downloading it first before being able to watch it and this could take several hours per hour of content, but can be done overnight, to be watched the following day. So you can get HD content from sites that offer it, provided they offer a download option and not just a streaming option. The BBC offer both on much of their content.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.