North Cyprus Tourist Board - Watching live BBC wimbledon via Internet - personal experience
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Watching live BBC wimbledon via Internet - personal experience

Watching live BBC wimbledon via Internet - personal experience

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

[warning long multi part post comming up]

The following is a personal 'review' of watching wimbledon today using internet connection, VPN service and BBC's live streaming service. Firstly I need to say a littel about how my PC and the various 'screens' I used are set up and connected. I basically have three screens connected to my PC. A main monitor, 24inch with resolution 1920*1200, a secondary monitor, 15inch with resolution of 1024*768 and finally a TV, 40inch with resolution of 1920*1080. A picture of my screen setup can be seen here.

http://www.visionmatters.co.uk/cyprus/screensetup.jpg

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

The next consideration is the internet connection. I subscribe to a 1mbps wifi based service from a company called Bortec. They are resellers of Arinet I believe. In order to watch the BBC's Wimbledon streaming content you will need an internet connection that can support sustained average download throughput of 800kbps. A 1mbps connection often sold as '1meg' has the potential to reach 1024kpbs vs the 800kbps you need for BBC Wimbledon service. However all (domestic) internet connections are 'contended', which in simple terms means shared. They all offer connections of 'up to' the maximum, they do not and really can not guarantee constant sustained throughput at the maximum level of the service bought. So for me on a 1meg service, to be able to watch Wimbledon via BBC streaming I need my net connection to operate at 80% of its maximum capacity in a sustained manner for the duration of the time I watch. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

In this test I have now been watching for about 3 hours and my internet connection HAS managed to provide the necessary 80% sustained average throughput for it to work without any breaking up of the picture or sound or any rebuffering. In short over the last three hours it works. I constantly monitor the throughput of my net connection using a (paid for) software program called DU Meter. This runs and displays my net connection in real time on my secondary monitor. You can see it in the image linked above on the small bottom right monitor. Below is a link showing a closer zoomed in picture of this.

http://www.visionmatters.co.uk/cyprus/DUmeter.jpg

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

The scale on the left shows 2.2mbps. This is due to using my VPN, DU meter is effectively counting the throughput on my network twice, once for the internet connection and once for the VPN connection. So when using a VPN a reading of this graph of 2.2Mbs means an internet connection of 1.1mbps - which matches my 1meg service. What the graph is showing then is that my connection is providing a throughput of the 80% necessary to watch Wimbledon, for the time the graph covers (around 30 minutes), though its actually been going fine for around 3 hours now. There are those that claim that internet access in the TRNC is substandard and that being routed through Turkey and Turk Telecom will always undermine such a connection.

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

[cont]

The graph above and the experience of the last 3 hours, as far as it is indicative and not exceptional, totally contradicts these claims. The throughput I am getting in a sustain manner as a % of the maximum I could get, shown on that graph, and reflected in 3 hours of uninterrupted streaming of BBC Wimbledon coverage, is as good as you could get anywhere in the world and is testament to the quality of the internet service I am currently getting.

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Now of course this is just a 'snapshot' of my experience over the last 3 hours or so. The question is does my internet connection always work this well 100% of the time and the honest answer would be no it does not. Having used this route to watch live streaming content for a couple of years now I would estimate that around 75-80% of the time I go to watch streaming content it just works. For the 20-25% of the time it does not just work straight off, maybe 30% of the time I can get it working by 'fiddling', things like rebooting the wifi box on my roof, reconnecting to my VPN service or using a different one. 70% of the time these solutions have no effect and it just does not work, or works but with a degree of breaking up and buffering that makes it unwatchable.

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

I have to say also that when live streaming does not work, more often than not this is a result of my internet connection here either having a specific problem or just mot being able to deliver the necessary 80% of maximum in sustained manner due to local load. However it is not always my net connection that stops streaming from working. My VPN service can and occasionally does have issues and indeed the provider of the live stream can also have issues (in this case the BBC).

[cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

So to summarise. You CAN use just an internet connection with a VPN service to watch live streaming content from the likes of the BBC. It is not a 'best' solution but is one option that may be suitable for some but will not suit others. For some just the necessity to connect your PC / Laptop to your TV will make is unsuitable. For others the 'only works 80% of time' will make it unsuitable. However for me and possibly others neither of these make it unviable as an option. You will need an internet connection that can provide sustained average throughput of around 800kbps. For some that will make it unviable as a solution but it is possible to get such a connection that provides this in a reasonably reliable manner and does NOT restrict usage based on data volume (like say 3g services do or most sat based internet services). You will also need a decent VPN service that can handle the throughput needed and the data volumes used. [cont]

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

For me it works well enough and often enough that I do not want or need a dedicated Sat TV system.

[end - at last!]

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

@ Erolz: Interesting post! Today we watched Wimbledon also: 1mbps wifi based service (Nethouse Networks), at home shared via an Apple router (Airport) on a Macintosh (my computer, the Slingplayer software connecting to a Holland based Slingbox) and a PC (my wife, watching BBC via a connection to a UK based Slingbox). No complaints at all; the lowest we got (said the two Slingplayer programmes) was 430 kbps!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

or you could just get a 1.8m dish and any old sKY box - no card necessary and watch it using the sports interactive ( red button on channel 503 - BBC news 24 )..

It's a bit sad, but if you need to see F1, Wimbledon, et al... ;)

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Indeed I could Mark, but as I say, for me, given the TV set up I have, the internet connection I have, the overall quality of that connection over time and the type of TV content I want and how much a 'failure' to be able to see a live streaming event on the rareish occasions it does fail for me matters to me, over all its not worth the hassle and cost of putting in a 1.8m sky dish. This will not be true for everyone of course. For some a sat TV based services will be a better solution for them, be it 1.8m , 4.2m sky, OSN, digitturk or any other option.

I am just pointing out that for ME, getting all my TV content via internet connction and VPN is an 'optimum' solution. It works well enough and often enough for my personal needs. The cost is about 5 pounds per month over what I pay anyway for internet, needs no additional hardware and can be bought (VPN service) on a monthly basis and bought or not as and when its needed.

offtheradar

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Had the same problem,so painted the wall,grabbed an effes and watched it dry,just as entertaining

Washerman

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 20:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

It will work during the day, between 6pm and 10pm at night is a 'real' test (when you want to watch TV)

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

subscribe to a bookies account and watch there player footy and all sports are fine

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

Washerman its 20:44 here now and is still working fine for me. Not had a single breakup, am wathcing Murray as we speak. However such a system will never be as reliable as a sat TV based service. I am not saying it can be. I am saying however that for some, like me, it can work well enough and reliably enough to 'do'. There WILL be times when I can not watch live what I want via this route, because of load or problems of my net connection or any number of other reasons. However for me this is a reality that I can live with, given the 'advantages' of not having to get a sat TV service. Its not a solution for all, it might be for some is what I am saying.

Washerman

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

I agree, but maybe, your internet company know that you are 'vocal' on CY44 and therefore, prioritise your traffic accordingly.

I do not doubt what you say, but I have plenty of examples that are the norm, as opposed to the exception

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

It may be that my connection is 'special' but if it is I have no knowledge of it being priortised as such, nor have I been particularly vocal about it to be honest. I am certainly aware that for many people their internet conecction does not work consistently enough for it use for 'live streaming' video to reach a % of working that would make a viable alternative to sat TV service for them. However I do not think my connection is unique. I would confidently guess that there are others with connections that could be sufficent for enough of the time for them. I would also say that someone else signing up a net connections with the same provider as me is no guarantee they will get the same level of connection quality. THere are so many variables and I am not saying 'sign up with X and you WILL be able to stream video no problems'. The not am I saying no matter who you sign up with you will NEVER be able to stream video.

Washerman

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Erolz......plus your location in relation to the base station is an important factor and the sector antenna that you are connected to. Then, there is the close proximity of other internet users on the 5.8Ghz radio frequency and radio interference etc.

It's a bit of a lottery really

Washerman

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 21:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Hi again Erolz..........forgot to say that watching Wimbledon in HD on our ADMC system (Channel AD Sports 6) is quite a treat and no internet required !

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Washerman its true that all of these factors can effect the quality of internet services here, making it a 'lottery' as to how good a connection you get. However that is true of nearly all internet connections services worldwide. In the UK for example there is massive variantion in how 'good' a given service is from customer to customer. This is true of UK based ADSL services and cable based ones alike.

The point I am trying to get accross is that depending on how 'lucky' you are in this 'lottery' and your viewing habits and the level of 'must work every time' you have this can be a viable option for getting TV in the TRNC. Nothing more.

erolz

Message Posted:
20/06/2011 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Indeed washerman video quality is a real issue. For me I LOVE HD. I will not watch a movie that is not HD quality personaly. However I can get such content online and I do and such does not require a 'rare' excellent quality internet connection, just a bit of patience. So BBC content I can download in HD quality , without needing a good connection. It is ONLY for 'live' events and content that only is available via streaming (and not download) that I have to sacrafice quality in order to not need a Sat TV service. Again for some this is a compromise that does not add up. For me it does add up.

Washerman

Message Posted:
21/06/2011 06:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Erolz......I understand where you are coming from, but in my experience over the last three years (we have many local users of our VPN service) - most users who are being introduced to watching TV over the internet are used to just pointing the remote control at the TV and changing stations, they are NOT used to seeing buffering, or, stopping, freezing and starting and they become VERY frustrated when using a VPN through their computer.

Just using a wireless mouse instead of a remote control is a bridge too far for some people. Having to shift their laptop to the TV and connect a VGA/Audio/HDMI cable and then change the source and "mess around" as they put it, is more than most people want to have to do to just watch TV.

Of course, you can have a dedicated PC connected permanently to your TV (and we have built many for our customers) and a 10m wireless mouse, but you will never have the same experience as just switching on the

cont...

Washerman

Message Posted:
21/06/2011 06:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

TV and watching what you want to watch, when you want to watch it, in HD with NO buffering, freezing, stopping and starting and cables stretching all over the living room which for some, again, is a bridge too far and that's why we offer TV systems for all tastes and budgets.

In my experience, those who can afford it, go for the guaranteed satellite based system every time - but then, both Marks and Spencer and Lidl seem to busy when you go shopping !

http://www.satellitecyprus.com - 0533 869 4372

Jefferson

Message Posted:
21/06/2011 07:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

Good morning erolz, I also use bortec and watch in the manner you do (although only using one tv at a time). I watched Murray last night, also with no problems. I also watch sky with no problems. I rent so it would not be worth me installing equipment. Washermans comment about priority service is clutching at straws as I certainly just get the normal (very good) service.

Washerman

Message Posted:
21/06/2011 07:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Jefferson, setting traffic priorities on a network is 'one' of the corner stones of 'good' bandwidth management, to say that mentioning it is "clutching at straws" is just silly (to anyone that knows anything about the subject)

BUT then, I don't doubt that you receive a good service from Bortec and I 'also' don't doubt that 'many' people receive good service from their ISP BUT, this depends on many factors - whether their Internet connection is good or, not, is more likely to do with the place that they live in relation to the base station and nothing to do with how 'good' their ISP is.

In my opinion, a good ISP is one that cares about QOS and answers their phones seven days a week - nothing at all to do with how much bandwidth they have !

erolz

Message Posted:
21/06/2011 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Washerman msg23 I had already said the same things in msg8 when I said there "For some just the necessity to connect your PC / Laptop to your TV will make is unsuitable. For others the 'only works 80% of time' will make it unsuitable."

This thread was NOT about 'hey look how good my ISP is vs others'. Nor was the thread about 'hey anyone getting sat TV is stupid, you can get better / cheaper via internet'. I made it to show that using the internet and a VPN can be a viable option for SOME people. I felt I went out of my way to state all of the limits and downsides of such a system and give real world examples based on my personal usage of such a system over the last couple of years. In many ways the post was a reaction to post that say or imply that such a 'way' of watching TV will never work for anyone because internet access in the TRNC is no good.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.