North Cyprus Tourist Board - Import Car Duty Amnesty valid until 26/08/2011
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Import Car Duty Amnesty valid until 26/08/2011

Import Car Duty Amnesty valid until 26/08/2011

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

clews

Message Posted:
29/06/2011 10:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

Does anyone know if the above amnesty is valid after being reported on the front page of the Cyprus Today last Saturday? Have spoken to Customs in Lefkosia and they know nothing about it . . .

Hector

Message Posted:
29/06/2011 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

Nothing new there then. I remember a couple of years ago that UK registered cars were common place until the clampdown and many were seized for not paying import tax. You used to have as long as the vehicle was UK taxed before having to pay import duty and register the vehicle but now I understand it's only a month. Haven't seen a UK plate in NC for while now.

exroyal

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

does anyone know anything about this please

dap3081

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 20:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Message 3.

Hector hope you are wrong there, I arrived in May this year on UK plates with 12 months UK road tax and was given 30days on my vehicle on arrivel at the port in TRNC by Customs. Before that time (30 days) was up I went to Customs in Lefkosia to get an extention on that for the road tax months remaining, there I was told I should get an 'In and Out' from my local police station and they attend to my request. And they gave me an additional months extention in the meantime.

judyr

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Hi, I paid mine 2 months ago but think that the same rule applies now. As yourself, came over with 10 months tax and had until that expired before I imported it. However you might want to consider the amnesty depending of course on how many cc your car is. With the amnesty you pay 60% of the car value which may be much cheaper depending on the size of your engine. Without the amnesty you pay 40% of the car value and then up to $2+ per cc if your vehicle is 1800cc or more. Less than that and I think it is just over $1 per cc. It might even pay to go to customs and get a valuation and then you will be better informed to make your own choice?

Hope that helps

Hector

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

dap3081

That's exactly how we started when we imported our car in 2008 (and finally got the paperwork sorted in 2009). We were told recently by friends who live here that the 12 months if UK taxed had now been removed and only 1 month allowed. Trouble is, even the authorities don't know what the current rules are. The rules were changed after the authorities got fed up with UK reg cars never paying import tax and registering for TRNC plates. Customs/police went on a seizing spree. Hene why no UK plated cars about, or at least I haven't seen any in the last month.

You need a bank account in the TRNC, up to date ín & out' 'print out from the police station in Lefkosia, you can't have imported anything else i.e. furniture (there will be a stamp in your passport), copies of your passport, you need to instruct an import agent (you will find one to complete the paperwork in offices at the back of the customs office in Lefkosia). After paying the tax you'll start the registering process.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.