North Cyprus Tourist Board - Crossing the border by foot and getting another 90 day stamp
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Crossing the border by foot and getting another 90 day stamp

Crossing the border by foot and getting another 90 day stamp

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

I crossed the border yesterday by foot in Lefkosa and on my return asked the Imigration office if the 90 day stamp i have now starts as of that day. I showed him the oroginal i had from Ercan airport and he said the new stamp on the piece of paper is now 90 days starting on that day. This leaves me confused as i understood you had to leave cyprus to start 90 days again. Has anybody else been in this position. Sorry if i sound stupid although we have only been here 6 weeks and trying to find our feet is interesting.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

You have to leave the TRNC, not the island of Cyprus. HOWEVER, the 90 day visa, although normal, is not standard. They can give you anything up to 90 days. If they feel that you have visited the south, or had a weekend in Turkey, just to get a new 90 day visa on your return and avoid the hastle of applying for residency, you run the risk of getting a visa for whatever length of time is left on your original visa. I've known visas being issued for just a few days.

Ian

Mindy

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 15:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

it is confusing mr wilson, not so long ago they were only giving people 30 days, I think it depends on what orders come down from the bosses upstairs. We had heard that you had to physically leave the Island of Cyprus but it is a definite grey area, Why do we have to pay for being temp residents if we can just pop over to the south for a bit of bacon and sausage and get 90 days

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

ive been over 3 times this week got 90 days each time

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

ive been over 3 times this week got 90 days each time

EssexOB

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

I arrived thru' Ercan and got 90 day visa. On separate sheet.

During my stay I made a day trip across border in Lefkosa and got a new 90 day visa. On separate sheet.

BUT when I left thru' Ercan, I first presented my Lefkosa visa, guy looked confused, so then gave him my original Ercan arrival visa, which he accepted and stamped. So don't think the day trip to south 90 day visa would work thru' Ercan. Maybe works if you arrive and depart thru' the south.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

please contact the depatment of DISINFORMATION the rules change on a daily basis IF THERE IS A Y in the day then the rule of yesteray is the rule for today.

IS THIS AS CLEAR AS MUD....... yes this is how it is PLASE PAY IN £

augusta

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

We will be arriving from turkey by sailing boat next week. I UK passport and 1 norwegian passport.....I wonder if we will get the same number of days? Here in Turkey the UK one got 90 days and the norwegian on 30 days...

it doesn't make much sense to me!

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

Hi Guys

Not sure about your stamps but probably the same 90 days and 30 days but just wanted to check that you have the TRNC flag for your boat as the Turkish one will not be accepted. In case you don't it's the opposite to the Turkish one with two red stripes top and bottom.

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

Thanks for your advice, what a minefield getting to the bottom of anything here.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

Hi

I've stopped printing rules & regulations; last time I'd spent AGES making sure I had all the latest on importing cars and it was out of date before it hit page two!

Jo Valentine

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 23:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

Best way Jo. We live here and just take things as they come. ie renewal of residency, car tax etc. WE go the day before payment is due and ask what the current info is and hope that when we have got the appropriate money out of the bank things have not changed.

Got to add my own bit. This is not helped by the rumour jungle. This especially from those in UK who pick up something on a BB and then repeat it on another forum. Before you know it Cyprus has been reunited and Pt Pike is President!!!

These forums have there place but unfortunatley there is so much of the Chinese Whispers my advice to everyone is go to the appropriate office. Might not get the right answer but at least it is official!!!!!!!

PtePike

Message Posted:
01/11/2008 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

CIH: "Before you know it Cyprus has been reunited and Pt Pike is President!!!"

I already turned it down, you know. ;-)

icklepix

Message Posted:
03/11/2008 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

Mr Wilson - having just been in nc for 6 weeks how are u finding it, myself and my husband would love to move over so would just appreciate ur opinion so far, how easy/difficult has it been??

HarryHornet

Message Posted:
03/11/2008 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

Dear Icklepix -sorry to butt in!- We took the step and moved out to TRNC six and 1/2 weks ago. We already had our property out here so we were really coming home! Have sorted out car tax /emmision tests/insurance all very easily just by asking those who have been here and done it. Everyone very happy to help. WE joined BRS so that we have some where to turn for help when we apply for residency and in case of emergencies. My husband has played golf so has met people that way. We also have good neighbours (from TRNC) and they have been very helpful too. I have been a bit homesick (my childen still in UK) but the sun, a stroll on beach and a phone call back helps.

We would truly recommend it - whats left in UK anyway? waking up to blue skies and fresh air who could ask for more.

Apologises once again for interupting

MRS Harry Hornet

redboxer

Message Posted:
03/11/2008 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

Dear Mrs HarryHornet

My partner is leaving UK to live in our property in TRNC in 2 weeks and I hope to follow very soon. We have been reading the BRS handbook and it said we could only get a 30 days visa and then had to apply for a temporary residency. After reading this forum I am relieved to see it is usually 90 days and then you can maybe get another 90 by crossing into GC. It is all very confusing and we were thinking of aborting the plan but we love it out there.

Did you buy a car when you arrived-if so any advise would be gratefully received!

Redboxer

joanie1

Message Posted:
03/11/2008 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

I have owned a house here for three years and a car since last year. i go back to the UK to visit family every 8 - 10 weeks or so and whether travelling through Ercan or Larnaca via Metahan always get a 90 day stamp on my visa - but I do always tell them how long i am staying - I smile - they smile so far so good. Think about it - there are these armed soldiers trained to kill the enemy and what are they doing - sitting in a booth for 8 hours a day identifying photos on a passport (lets face it passport photos are pretty grim) - they must be bored out of their minds - so to alleviate the boredom they change the visa days . i have listened to the Turks coming through chatting about football results - lets do the same - big friendly smile - it works.

icklepix

Message Posted:
03/11/2008 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

hi mrs harry hornet, no need to apologise for interrupting all comments are appreciated. I whole heartedly agree with u,what is left in the UK! I'm 32 and my hubby is 40, we are both sick of the UK and if we had the opportunity would get up and leave tomorrow. Thanks for the tip on BRS i'll remember that. Hope everything works out for you in NC, i'm dead envious!

HarryHornet

Message Posted:
04/11/2008 08:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

Dear Redboxer

DO NOT abort your dreams!!-You don't say where you travel in to but we go via Larnaca(usually) and our taxi driver always makes sure we are stamped with 90 day visa.If you come in via Ercan you can always check that they are going to stamp a 90 day one before they do.(If you see what mean)

We bought our run around here (from someone we knew). Although 2nd hand cars are very expensive compared to UK by the time you have exported your own then paid to put onto Turkish plate it works out the same. Ask around when you get here.We used Pe-To car hire when we holidayed here-Pearl the owner is a treasure and has always helped us with any queries we've had and pointed us in right direction. Harry Hornet's e-mail is now blissettgt@hotmail.com if you want to get in contact at any time. Hope the above is of help

Mrs Harry Hornet

redboxer

Message Posted:
04/11/2008 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

Dear Mrs Harry Hornet

Thank you so much for your reply. We're both excited but also terrified-not about leaving the UK but about learning and surviving all the rules and regulations in TRNC! I will email you and thank you again for the reply.

Redboxer

Mrwilson

Message Posted:
04/11/2008 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Hi there, sorry for the delay. I see someone has already answered you. We actually left the UK in April 07 and sailed from France to Turkey on our boat and sailed around Turkey and Greece until now. We had been to North Cyprus a couple of times before and loved it and we still do. We've settled in well. The only downside I would say is finding the right information to do certain things, i.e Customs clearance, Buying a Car, getting residency but we got there in the end. Well I say that we're still having a nightmare with our car. But generally really good. We are renting and are thinking of keeping it that way. My other advise would be to be careful when buying over here. Take plenty of time and if you can by resale rather than off plan then I would go down that root. I know many people that have paid for their property and are still waiting years later or find that theirs money owing to the bank by the builder.

Great Island, lovely weather what more could you want!

teddy

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 16:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

i have been backwards and forwards over the border a lot and on my last trip i come back by pyla and was told i have to stop doing it , i explained that i am a torrist and that i am on a long holiday but the loverly woman still only gave me 30 days

littlenige

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

Mrwilson

Message Posted:

01/11/2008 12:41

Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

I crossed the border yesterday by foot in Lefkosa and on my return asked the Imigration office if the 90 day stamp i have now starts as of that day. I showed him the oroginal i had from Ercan airport and he said the new stamp on the piece of paper is now 90 days starting on that day. This leaves me confused as i understood you had to leave cyprus to start 90 days again. Has anybody else been in this position. Sorry if i sound stupid although we have only been here 6 weeks and trying to find our feet is interesting.

Welcome to the Asylum we are all confused living here.

Lilli

Message Posted:
21/12/2008 19:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

dear hh its always very dificult when you come to a different country espically one like this with ever changing laws on everything however you have made your decision and the only advice i can give you, and a lot you have already stated , make good friends, you are with the brs get involved, golf great start you will meet a lot of people who will help yu and direct you. Its totally natural to be homesick I still am after 4 years espically this time of year and the fact i have to work, but everybody will help and advise you/ good luck and happy xmas xxx

icefist

Message Posted:
22/01/2009 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

As far as I know if you came through Ercan and cross to South to get 90 more days, it doesn't work like this.

And if you expire those 90 days which you got from Ercan you gonna pay fine per day.

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/01/2009 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

why don't you pay for your residency like the rest of us?

canyavuz

Message Posted:
24/02/2009 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

Speaking from personal experience......you are only allowed 90 days in a year, no matter how many times you leave the TRNC.

They may stamp your passport, but it doesn't mean that they give you another visa, it's just a stamp stating which date you entered and exit the TRNC.

After you spend 90 days in TRNC, you must apply for a residency permit. No crossing to the Greek Cypriot administrated area will renew a visa, no way!

Luck for you, you can apply for a residency permit. I have turkish cypriot parents so if i stay for more than 90 days, i have to do military service.....can't even pay it off!

denizkisi

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

message 27:

That is also what I understand to be the law. After 90 days you need a proper residency permit as the 90 day one is just a "visitors" permit. I would much rather apply properly and not have the worry, and I agree with Firestarter, I don't understand why some people try and dodge the system to save a few quid!!! I would much rather sleep soundly at night.....

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Can somebody please tell me the benefits of permanent residency against the disadvantages..if there are any!

denizkisi

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

I cannot see any disadvantages Dee, but the main advantage is that you are here legally and do not have to worry about being stopped and fined at the airport. They are cracking down on this now, and I know some people were actually deported last October because they couldn't pay the huge fine they had "clocked" up by being here on an expired visitors visa.

Remember also, that any little "brush" with the law, for instance a small traffic accident that need not even be your fault, could lead them to looking at your passport!! In my opinion, it is just not worth the risk.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

Dee

I think we have spoken about this before. 90 days when you cross to the South and return is at the discretion of the Immigration department and if you have any problems with the Police/Immigration department subsequently then your 90 days will not be valid. Temporary residency is the way to go (and it is easy).

AJ

canyavuz

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

Just get a residency permit and be legit. Your hardly going to be loosing out of pocket. Get a residency permit, get right for your kids (if any) to attend public schools, then within time, become a citizen, get the right to vote and live like a true citizen. The law and the consequences are there for a reason. If you break it (by illegally being a resident), then you'll suffer the consequences, and i guarantee that you will regret not getting a residency permit if you get caught

mint1955

Message Posted:
25/02/2009 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

What are the requirements to get a residency permit?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
26/02/2009 03:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

Re all the above

vote for a pro settlement party and kiss goodbye to "residency permits/ work permits", PTP , blood tests, import "duties", ......

baxi7

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

does the residency permit still apply , if one leaves the island for a break = then comes back - say 6- 8 weeks later ? .

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
27/03/2009 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

AJ I went to the UK for a week so I dont have any probs, my partner went back to UK a few weeks ago and he was told by immigration that the 90 day stamp going south is legit, yes they can give you less but if you get 90 it is 90.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.