North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dopi tv in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dopi tv in North Cyprus

Dopi tv in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

muggins

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 14:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 37 in Discussion

We had Dopi tv installed 3 days ago at the cost of £600.00, which included the £125.00 for years subscription. Had to keep ringing them up for various problem, ie., language, unable to pick up lot of film channels, then after only one day of installation, we could not get any of the BFBS channels which show Eastenders etc., Had no luck with company as we have paid the £600.00 and once again there is no aftersales. We have lived here for 3 years and we still get taken on, you would think by now we would have learnt. Any comments would be appreciated with regards to this system.

Washerman

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 37 in Discussion

Muggins...................want to buy a cheap Rolex ?

DoctorW

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 37 in Discussion

Sorry you are having trouble.

Its a pity you didn't find this site before you made the decision. I think all the horror stories regarding Dopi tv would have prevented you making the mistake.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 37 in Discussion

This thread has got to be a wind up

Pugwash

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 17:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 37 in Discussion

Indeed it has

tinker

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 37 in Discussion

Def a wind up .

Subscription is £175 .

muggins

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 21:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 37 in Discussion

Well this is certainly not a wind up as we are £600.00 down and the system has stopped working completely. We were given his number by a neighbour that had just been upgraded (he does'nt know his system isn't working as he is back in UK for a week), when they fitted it, last Tuesday, it worked lovely and we were impressed with the way they installed it. The manager seemed really genuine (as do they all). We are lucky we did not disconnect Digiturk. The yearly instalment is £125.00 the rest was installation costs.

By the way 'washerman' I do not appreciate your comments. This site is suppose to be helpful and we don't need to have our noses rubbed in by people like you.

DoctorW. I did actually look but must have been looking at old messages as there were a lot of positives. Thanks for your comments anyway. It not just the money it is the principle of it and that I can still be taken in by people that seem so genuine, it is just that I like to see good in eveyone.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 37 in Discussion

Hi Muggins

I'm sorry to hear you've fallen for the Uran / Dopi con... the are simply charging you to receive pirated satellite TV channels that they cannot guarantee they can get 'cracking' to allow you to watch it

Did you pay by credit card for the installation / receiver / subscription ?

If you DID, you might be able to arrange a charge-back if the goods weren't of merchantable quality.

The ONLY licensed sat tv providers are Digi Turk and Nova Cyprus ... receiving SKY / Showtime / ADTV, etc carries an element of risk as you aren't supposed to have the receiver outside the area for which they have the license to broadcast.

The situation for EU based suppliers is confusing as a recent legal opinion has said ANY EU citizen can receive any EU based sat tv service.... that doesn't apply to Arabic sourced services..

Hope you get this situation resolved.. if nothing else your plight might stop another person getting had.. :(

bfbs_tv

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 37 in Discussion

I would like to point to my previous warnings on this forum.

But I feel I must say, I TOLD YOU SO.

You have made my day ;-)

Tango1

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 37 in Discussion

It's a bit sad isn't it Msg.9 that for someone to have been conned out of £600 "makes your day". We're going back to Digiturk next week because to be frank about it, having just bought a brand new all singing, all dancing TV, I wan't to feel secure in the knowledge there will be continuity of programmes.

Tango1

bfbs_tv

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 37 in Discussion

@Tango,

Enjoy the Digiturk HD channels, I know its not the BBC but at least they leave the english sound track on some of the channels for you.

The time line fits in perfectly, with when I had a suspect arrested and I killed the BFBS viewing card being used.

coredump

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 37 in Discussion

Muggins, I can help you. meet me at the lamppost just outside your house tonight at 11:30. I can help you with illegal subscriptions to all pay tv channels, I promise you, my Dreambox sharing network will remain working for at least a year.... I make you a good price, since you are a special friend.

How silly of you to do this and how shameless to ask for support for committing a crime.

bfbs_tv

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 37 in Discussion

@coredump

Are you going to say it once ? (Cannot do bad hallo hallo french acent online)...

newscoop

Message Posted:
02/07/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 37 in Discussion

I have no particular axe to grind

But the crassness displayed by the alleged bfbs numpty is starting to get on my nerves.

coredump

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 00:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 37 in Discussion

If I would be BFBS I would not just go after the guys who ran the servers but also their clients.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 02:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 37 in Discussion

Newsie

re msg 14

>> the crassness displayed by the alleged bfbs numpty is starting to get on my nerves.<<

What's with the 'alleged' ?! .. He took [ a lot of ] flak for warning folks to ignore 'boasts' of being able to supply BBC/ ITV/ SKY sports, etc., via a small dish and was proved [ absolutely] correct...

Washerman

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 09:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 37 in Discussion

Muggins........I am not the one who signed up for stolen British Forces TV.

Provided by the TV companies concerned to a charity who then, supply our overseas forces (fighting for us).

What people don't realise is that when the TV companies discover that the package has been stolen and is being viewed by the general public, they can and 'might' pull the plug on supply and if they do, the forces lose their TV !

A penny pinching Brit' receiving stolen services from a charity. You must be very proud of yourself !

I don't know how you have the nerve to complain on a public forum.

Tough Luck !

"People like me" ?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 37 in Discussion

re msg 17 Washerman

>>What people don't realise is that when the TV companies discover that the package has been stolen and is being viewed by the general public, they can and 'might' pull the plug on supply and if they do, the forces lose their TV !

<<

Washerman - I see you are neatly demonstrating how you have never been involved in the running of sat tv broadcast service..

BFBS has a relatively small legal small user base and I'm sure it wasn't difficult to trace the rogue card(s) that were being illegally 'shared' ..

Too many 'punter's are buying from companies in 'TRNC' making claims for 'officialdom' only to find that wasn't the case - when the legit TV service decides 'enough is enough'..

Your reaction to this poster is noted....

Washerman

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 37 in Discussion

I hope that your 'assumptions' mean something to you - they mean nothing to me.

mmmmmm - here's something for you to do today - find the 'officialdom' post that you keep 'harping' on about

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 37 in Discussion

Dear Washerman.. re msg 19

No assumptions .. you've had a pop at another Dopi 'victim' ...

>>mmmmmm - here's something for you to do today - find the 'officialdom' post that you keep 'harping' on about<<

You mean the version of the website you posted ( and withdrew) - after I pointed this out ..

Here's a 'clue' for you..

Ask the members to contact Rawad Sabra at the Customer Care Department of Orbit Showtime

"This company is not related to OSN in any way, however we have discussed this case with our legal department and it was confirmed that they are not selling our subscription from our end.

What happens here is that they buy subscription from legal markets and sell them in Cyprus. I would like to stress on the point that the subscription will work, but might get disconnected at anytime.…"

Now THEY did see your 'claim' ....

Washerman

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 37 in Discussion

The version of the website that I withdrew ?

I know that this is very important to you so surely, you kept a copy - what, you didn't !

So, just another of your unsubstantiated malicious claims !

Washerman

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 37 in Discussion

AND what will Sky tell me about receiving Sky TV in Cyprus (if I were to contact them) ?

bfbs_tv

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 37 in Discussion

The simple fact is if you subscribe to a pirate service you will lose out in the end.

If you subscribe to one that contains BFBS and it stops working, spare a thought to the service person who has just been arrested, charged and could lose their job and home because YOU wanted to watch Eastenders.

Its not only a the EXPATS who want to watch forces tv, the card being used in the share was also being used by some not so nice people in other countries.

DOPI TV sent all of their subscribers an email, they made a mistake they included all of his customers email addresses. Of course this information was picked up by the other providers and checked against records in their own countries, if you have a TV provider linked email address then they know everything about you. There are a lot of them.

I know DOPI won't be the last, but I hope someone reads this and thinks its not worth it and gets DigiTurk or Nova. It might not be the BBC but it's better than nothing.

Enjoy the su

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 37 in Discussion

re 21

Washerman.. I got 'banned' for posting links to a place where I could back up EXACTLY what you now state is "unsubstantiated malicious claims" ...

re 22

>>AND what will Sky tell me about receiving Sky TV in Cyprus (if I were to contact them) ?<<

They will no doubt say what *I've* repeatedly said to members.. SKY isn't licensed to be available outside UK / Ireland.. Members don't advertise where they've got their systems installed ..

Now *Who* is making claims to be 'official dealers' for SKY in Cyprus ?

Members bring out SKY boxes to Cyprus know they aren't supposed to ( according to SKY) and the risks - those risks appear to Orbit Showtime and Abu Dhabi TV...

BUT... as we have discussed The European Court of Justie' Advocate General has given her legal opinion that a Greek sat TV service CAN legally be used in another EU country... THAT doesn't apply to Arab services..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 37 in Discussion

re msg 24.. should read "those risks *apply* [ not appear] to Orbit Showtime and Abu Dhabi TV...

You repeatedly claim to offer 'guarantees' of continued pay tv reception .. you CAN'T - and complain I'm attacking a 'TRNC' biz when simply asking you to be HONEST..

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 37 in Discussion

re 21

Dear Washerman

I'll give you a clue to 'help' your memory re the claim for 'officialdom' ...Don't you remember how your website looked on 5/8/10 @ 08:45 hrs Cyprus time ?

I'll happily email ErolZ the email from someone in Cyprus who wondered if your website was me ;)

Washerman

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 37 in Discussion

You repeatedly claim that 'I' am not being honest !

mmmmmm said:

UK TV Abroad is a UK entity - and any revenue / costs are UK centred...

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/65190.asp

Message 10 out of 52

mmmmmm said:

uktvabroad.com:

based in Limas(s)ol - and SO?... Paypal are a US co, with an EU entity in Luxembourg and a UK tel no and and the call centre is in Ireland .. Now I don't claim to own a company the size of paypal...

HINT: Tax is less in CY, VAT is less in CY, ( like Luxembourg )

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/65163.asp

Message 87 out of 200

Who's not being honest ?

simbas

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 37 in Discussion

Take this off board please , this has been going round in circles and not getting anywhere . This is a first and final warning

Simbas

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 37 in Discussion

Hi Simbas.. re msg 27

Erolz and Stubs have posted sensible responses in the links Washerman posted to how a UK legal entity can register websites in third countries...

Std Washerman tactics.. deflect and insult - hoping to get a thread 'sunk' - the other one got closed and he's simply repeating the same fib :(

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
03/07/2011 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 37 in Discussion

(cont) *I* don't want this thread closed as it is about another member who has been ripped off through TV piracy claiming to be 'legit'

I have NO idea why w/man would 'attack' someone who was innocently asked a question... the whole point about forums is, that newbies often ask questions that many of us are familiar with - we should HELP... not belittle

muggins

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 07:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 37 in Discussion

Hi mmmmmm

Thank you for your support, when we signed up with them I did not know at the time that BBC was going to come from BFBS channels and was surprised to see this, we had it for one day only and then it was switched off.

'Washerman' get a life or is this it, how sad if your time here is wasted on taking pleasure from other peoples problems. I have worked (legally) all my life and brought up a family. Gone through cancer twice and support charities. I love animals and have a lovely family. This is just pointing out that before you open your mouth to speak, try to remember that there is a person with feelings on the receiving end, we are not all up on the lagalities over here as there doesn't seem to be any, try harping on to the people who have lost homes, and I bet you have never bought a DVD from the DVD shop, which of course are all originals. I came here for a better life, I don't know why you are here.

DoctorW

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 37 in Discussion

BBS TV

- Spare a thought for the service person who has just been arrested, charged and could lose their home because YOU wanted to watch Eastenders -

Surely you dont expect us to believe that this person was completely altruistic in his/her motives, feeling sorry for a few ex-pats who cant get British TV and wanting to help them out. In fact a real life Robin Hood.

Are you really sure that this person wasn't just out to make a quick buck and wasn't concerned who got ripped off to do it.???

Lots of people have lost hard earned cash through this and other scams here. I cant say that my heart bleeds for the offender.

Maybe others on this forum think differently?

Washerman

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 37 in Discussion

Muggins......if I have caused you any anxiety, I apologise, no ifs or buts......................sorry

muggins

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 09:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 37 in Discussion

Washerman, thank you, apologies accepted, we are going back to Digiturk anyway, at least we can watch it without any worries. We will write the money off and put it down to experience.

Washerman

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 09:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 37 in Discussion

Muggins, do you know that there are about 30 English speaking channels on the Nilesat satellite that you are connected to and that they are free.

If you want, I'll come and set them up for you then, at least the Dopi system isn't a total loss.

Regards

Paul

bfbs_tv

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 37 in Discussion

@DoctorW

It's funny, that the only problem with the misuse of viewing cards only happpens in Cyprus due to the demand by Expats and Bars wanting easy access to sport and british TV.

We know the guys get approached when they are out and about. We have done a couple of stings.

The servicemen when they are issued with the card sign the terms of use and it states what will happen if they break these. The recent raids in the south have uncovered losts of names and addresses. These are being followed up.

As stated before, the only way to get BFBS is to become a member of the British Forces.

We are issuing new cards and set top boxes in a few months, and Cyprus will be converted over to the new system first.

DoctorW

Message Posted:
04/07/2011 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 37 in Discussion

Message 36.

I dont condone card sharing, but what you are saying confirms what I said in my last message, this isnt about servicemen doing a good turn for fellow Brits so they can watch Eastenders. Its about servicemen making a quick buck by breaking the law.

So I still have no sympathy for them, they know what they are doing so if they get arrested and lose their jobs for a criminal act that is their problem.

I am as likely to spare a thought for the poor serviceman who has been arrested and will probably lose his job for a criminal offence as I am for the many in Cyprus and elsewhere who have taken (stolen) peoples hard earned money.

I think you would have more sympathy for your cause if you blamed the person responsible rather than come on this board and put the blame on ex pats.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.