North Cyprus Tourist Board - Tourism - is it really improving, what would help?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Tourism - is it really improving, what would help?

Tourism - is it really improving, what would help?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

MedOne

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

I keep hearing all sorts of reports - the hotels are full to bursting, the hotels are half empty etc. etc.

I was sitting here wondering (nothing else to do on this beautiful day), besides an improvement in airline access (which I think has begun already) in to trnc what else could help to boost our tourism economy?

Would it be a simple case of introducing more local activities that appeal to tourists to give them something to do or somewhere to go - I'm not sure. What do you think?

What could we suggest to the EU to get them to help us our a little (anything!!!) Or am I being too naive!

ttoli

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Selected Hotels are fit to bursting for the summer, Pia Bella And Almond Holiday Village to name but two, airlines are starting to bring more tourists in and with flights from regional UK airports landing in Larnaca (Often at a far lower price).

Get the Govt website up and running with up to date information, staff the representative offices abroad with pro active Cypriots that know their island and are keen to promote it to Travel Agents via personal visits.

Most Travel agents in the UK would welcome a free staff training session, put some incentives in place for the sales staff; ie 7 Nights free Accom for the first 10 bookings etc, Organise Educational groups, to bring Agents in and share the product with them. As a former UK Travel Agent myself, I can tell you that nothing improves your sales stats than Personal knowledge.

Daily beach cleans of ALL beaches

fatelady

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

the lack of carriers that fly into ercan from england is the biggest problem i think, cyprus is beautifull, but nearly 600.00 pounds in the summer to get here from london is a joke , yes we are comming as always but we have had to fly into larnaca and saved our selfs 1,000 in total, sort out the flights battle half won .

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

i flew manchester to ercan with peg this year.

when we booked flights were reasonable but they only fly in summer months.

when i went to check the prices out a few weeks before they wanted £400 each person.

amazingly the flight wasnt full

kav

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

The TRNC gov should subsidize flights so that you can fly to Ercan for 100 pounds return. The taxes recovered from tourist spending in bars, hotels and restaurants would pay this subsidy back in no time.

misunderstood

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Mpost of the tourist sites have coach fulls there, but they do have RoC number plates so I guess they are visiting the North maybe for a day trip, but spending all their money in the South.

MedOne

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

ttoli, good idea.

I doubt the gov't would subsidise flights to get here though, givn they're struggling for cash now. Is there any thing they can do that won't cost a lot of investment that'll give them a quick return in terms of 'bums in beds' and spending in the shops?

LAhotel

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

We are quite busy! We have been full on several occasions already this summer, with occupancy at about 60% this week. We have guests from the UK, Azerbajan, Slovenia, Russia and Iran!

The govt is offering subsides on certain chartered flights from Slovenia for example.

The tourism office however is checking that the guests have actually arrived and the tour ops are not pulling a fast one! (as if!)

tumblejim

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Hi there

I am afraid that it is too late for the Island. The building problem that the Gov are not helping to sort has put the Tourism Industry into crisis point. The politicians are so corrupt and the systems so archaic reflects on the whole of the Islands administration.

We purchased a bungalow on the Amaranta site over 5 years ago. Had it been built then friends and family would have used it many times over the year. This would have sold probably 100 flight tickets in just one bungalow. Times that by 200 and you have a lot of Tourism down the drain. Gary Robb is in jail and the Valley is still half finished.

Look around the Island and there are many such like projects. There is your problem with Tourism.

We have not been back for about 3 years, yet we loved the Island. I will not go back before the site is finished, that means that I will never return to Cyprus!

Forget Tourism in Cyprus, the whole Island is a joke.

Best Wishes

David

Hector

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Prosecuting non TC's for traffic accidents even when it's not their fault i.e. locking up in prison a 70 year old man until he has to plead guilty then gets sentenced to 14 months or prosecuting a retired couple for years over an alleged theft of their own tin of paint and refusing them permission to leave the island. Yes that's the way to encourage tourism.

Sundance

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

A good point Hector, But saddly must of them will never get it, they have lost the plot two many years ago, they are sitting on a gold mine, but have no idea how to work it.

Sundance

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Hector/msg 10:

With these factual happenings blathered all over the worldwide web, coupled with Greek Cypriot propaganda - although not in these cases - add in the factors of tourists witnessing police raids on bars and the restrictions imposed on foreign entertainers; being unable to leave the island due to an unpaid speeding ticket that the 'offender' knew nothing about and, unfortunately for TRNC, word of mouth has obviously ensured the annual demise in tourism.

Reputation is everything where tourism is concerned - readers of this forum can come to their own conclusions re. TRNC!

If Turkey were the slightest bit concerned, they would be pumping some of this huge sum they have now pledged to Libya to rectify much in TRNC - possibly the prospect, or lure, of lucrative oil sharing deals are more appealing than 'flushing further billions Lira down the loo'!

With the best will in the world, who can blame Turkey?

Spike

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

The infrastructure in the north as it stands can't support tourism properly.

The only way ahead is an island-wide Cyprus Tourism Authority which would combine as a major confidence-building measure for final and lasting peace on this beautiful island.

If Turkey met her obligations to open ports and airspace to RoC traffic I'm pretty sure Ercan would get the nod from the GCs. The next step would be opening up Varosia.

People are sick of negativity. Positive thinking and presentation of the facts is the only way forward.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Re Msg 13

"If Turkey met her obligations to open ports and airspace to RoC traffic I'm pretty sure Ercan would get the nod from the GCs. The next step would be opening up Varosia."

UNQUOTE

Begging the question: what makes you pretty sure they would do that? Absolutely all their actions vis-a-vis Turkish Cypriots would suggest otherwise I suggest.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Sevrin Msg 13 - This is already the case.

They fly into Larnaca then in the main stay in hotels in the South and have day trips to the north so your island wide tourism authority is working already and as you might expect the profits do not go to the TRNC but to the South (just like when people fly to the South and the airport profits stay there).

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

There are very few tourists here. You only have to go to the restaurants and bars to see all locals and ex-pats there. The Harbour is like a ghost town. Even the lads out front don't bother to get you to in.

sienna

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Message 13 positivity exactly the lira is good at the moment for tourists Greece is a mess - Europena Countries are expensive Euro

If you talk yourself into a problem there will be one

If you fly direct you may well have a n 2 hour journey to your resort no differnet if you do fly to Larnac

Brinsley

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Msg 14

Turkey have already suggested that when all TRNC ports are open to direct trade, simultaneously all Turkish ports will be open to the RoC. This was rejected by the South. What a surprise!

Richard

sienna

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

whoops pressed button too soon

Message 13 positivity is the way forward - the lira is good at the moment for tourists - the island is relatively unspoilt

Look at the mess Greece is in many do not want to go there - exploit it

European Countries are expensive - Euro

If you talk yourself into a problem there will be one

If you fly direct you may well have a 2 hour journey to your resort no different if you do fly to Larnaca there isnt a problem really

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.