North Cyprus Tourist Board - Speeding Tickets in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Speeding Tickets in North Cyprus

Speeding Tickets in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 12:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Hi,

Can onyone tell me if there is any linkage between TNRC and Turkey with respect to any road traffic fines obtained in NC being referenced on the passport readers in Turkey as it is a bit of a treck from Bodrum to Kyrenia to pay any fines.

Is there anyway that you can check from the UK if there is anything outstanding and is it possible to pay these from the UK?

Having read some of the contributions to this forum I am concerned about the reliability of speed cameras and it would seem that even when being cautious on the roads it is still possible to obtain a ticket without being aware of it until you try to enter NC.

I must say that the safety on the road from Nicosia to Famagusta would vastly improved if roundabouts were put at the junctions rather that a 10k drop in speed and cameras as they cause rear end shunts.

But the bigest impact on safety would be to enforce the existing seat belt, mobile phones and crash helmet laws all of which are ignored by the police.

jonny

ttoli

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Of late Crash Helmet laws are only enforced on expats, after all we can afford the fines, cant we?

araneae

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

i got one today dated 23 may 2009 !!

keithr

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Don't speed,bloody simple really is it not ???

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Dear keithr,

Please grow up, there is a difference between entrapment and safety. Please dont tell me that the lives of people will be saved by cameras placed as they are in NC when good road management and the Police doing their bloody job could reduce the number of pointless deaths and injuries that occur in NC.

The enforcement of helmet and seat belt laws in the UK reduced death an injury rates by more than 50% between 1965 and 1970 and they have stayed the same ever since. Now cameras are being removed here because it is recognised that they don't work. They actually contribute to accidents because people over react when they see them even when they are well within the speed limit.

The NC powers that be are only trying to screw people with their actions and they will just loose custom because the visitors, those that bring in the real money that NC needs will just stop coming.

How is the market in holiday homes holding up in the NC by the way?

Simples!

jonny

elko2

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

msg. 5, Johnny wrote: " Now cameras are being removed here because it is recognised that they don't work. They actually contribute to accidents because people over react when they see them even when they are well within the speed limit."

Do you have any statistical informaion and any references please?

ismet

carian

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 09:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Another law that would reduce injuries/fatalities in road accidents is a law making it compulsory to have children sat and strapped in to child safety seats in the REAR of the car. It makes me cringe when I see babies and children sat on someone's knee in the front seat or stood in the back between the front seats.

araneae

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 10:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Message 7

they must have heard you

http://tinyurl.com/63ne4r4

hattikins

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Message 7, I couldn't agree more, I cannot believe that so many people can disregard the safety of their children, but as for the proposed change in the law I have my doubts if it will be enforced.

Yesterday we passed our neighbour, a policeman, he was driving on the wrong side of the road approaching a junction and he had his two beautiful little boys sitting in the front seat unrestrained, what is wrong with these people ?

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Hi ismet,

i did reply to one of your notes saying that I have a photo of me beign caught on a UK camera doing 39mph in a 30 limit taken in 1999 and it is from the rear, if you would like a copy of it then let me know but anyway to answer you question. I have attached some links which give details of the 85 percentile rule for the safe speed of traffic. http://www.safespeed.org.uk/rules.html

Another link with respect to death rates since the introduction of cameras here in the UK http://www.safespeed.org.uk/fatality.html

And another link about what has happened in Swindon after they turned their camears off http://road.cc/content/news/21135-speed-camera-opponents-hail-success-swindon-switch-do-figures-back

I do hope that this gives you some help in your fight against the man. I cannot get over this ridculous notion that speed is the only feature in accidents.

See http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1300830/Speed-cameras-caused-28-000-accidents-decade.html

jonny

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

ismet,

Just another bit http://www.abd.org.uk/topics/speed_cameras/SpeedCamerasDoNotSaveLives.htm it is an importatnt report, go to the wep page and download the pdf as it contains the full report.

If you need any more help, well just ask.

jonny

deputydawg

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Anecdotal. Like most conceited men I believe I am an experienced and good driver and I am proud but not complacent about not having had an accident in 50 years of driving in numerous countries and acknowledging that lady luck is a large element. Nevertheless, year on year I try to treat driving as a lifetime learning curve and ajust things as I grow older. At one period I had the boredom of commuting 80 miles a day to work and to keep my attention sharp I used to play games of seeing how clever I could be with road craft and make safe and quick progress through traffic without ever touching the brakes. I have had my share of speeding fines. However, when confronted by the "I have never been fined for speeding and obey the Highway Code to the letter" brigade I have always found that if you ask them how many at fault accidents they have had, their faces turn crimson in admissions or they try to bluster. In my experience speed is only one element of many in the quest for safety.

Tango1

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I don't want to appear to be giving a trite reply to Msgs 7 and 9, but I genuinely believe that their attitude to death is different to ours and its a cultural thing. When Allah deems its your time to go, then you will go regardless of the precautions you take.

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Hi ya deputydawg,

I also try to do sight line driving in the car and when on my MV, my son has just bought a Nija 250 with his Afghan tour bouns. Now we go out together when he is home from camp and we travel the country roads at appropriate speeds and he follows my lines and is getting more confident and learning the craft of motorcyling. The challenge is to travel fast and never use the brakes from Reading to Portsmouth, judgement, corner speed and body braking are the key. Junction stops don't count in the game.

Yes we go fast but then my accident history over the last 50 odd years is one written off bran new BMW on the M4 when a clown hit me from behind when all lanes were stationary at road works and I have been caught out on the bike when a guy started to move and then stopped at a round about so only the 1 at fault claim.

Speed they say is a 'contributary' factor (not speeding) in about 10% of accidents and inattention causes 20% of accidents cameras inside cars next!

deputydawg

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 13:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

jonnymarsbar. Those who have ridden motorcycles and learned the necessity to be alert at all times and very much take into account prevailing weather and other "blind Pugh" drivers to stay alive usually find the experience invaluable when it comes to driving vehicles. I swapped motorcycles for cars when it dawned on me that I could steer cars but only aim motorcycles ! Does "The Ton", The Iron Bridge" and "The North Circular Ace Cafe" mean anything to you ?

Hector

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Box Hill for me.

jonnymarsbar

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 14:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

You mean put the record on the juke box and get up and down the North Circular round the round abouts and back to the cafe before the record finishes deptydawg, oh yes we were going destroy society or so the cavalry twills, jackets with leather elbow pads typesthought. Brighton, mods and my unfortuate I liking of the Who, but I never admitted that back then. First bike was a Velocette Venom, still got the dents in my shin from when the kick start tried to throw you over bars. I was an appretoid then so I made up a set of rear sets and fitted clip on bars and got my first ton going down the Flats at Blackbush. It scared the crap out of me because the handling was awful. The 59 Club, Father Shergold has sadly died, there was a bit in the Times about it last year.

165 on the MV is a lot easier to cope with, (Donnington start / finish straight, not on road) but the problem with a super fast sports bike made by Itallians is they don't really suit my 6-2 frame, Honda's are a better fit

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.