North Cyprus Tourist Board - Paypal in the TRNC at risk???
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Paypal in the TRNC at risk???

Paypal in the TRNC at risk???

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Denise

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

i have a problem with paypal whereby there is money on my account that i cannot access due to 'new' rules. i won't go into details but i have been sending emails back and forth to no avail. i thought i would share the closing sentences of their latest email with you for any other paypal users out there

'Also bear in mind that PayPal does not

serve to Northern Cyprus. This account is likely to be blocked soon.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal'

does anyone have any contact details other than the standard way that i can contact someone else as i am getting nowhere, also i have been using paypal for at least the last 5 years if not more so can they suddenly try to block me? i don't know where i stand on this subject but would be lost without it.

any info or advice appreciated

thanks

Denise

andrew4232

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

i dont have any problem with paypal at the moment

blade

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

Skype them, that usually works.

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

Denise Hi,

I had an e mail from them this morning about the change of rules (all very long winded and complicated) but in essence they will not come into effect for me until September.

I think my account set up maybe different to yours but I might be able to help if you e mail me.

Kind Regards,

slatnumber7

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

NOT being able to use Paypal would be a PiA, so read the rules, carefully

You CAN use in in the 'rump' RoC and you can open an account there - and you CAN have a UK account - associated with a UK Bank.. but it is best to use a UK VPN - you just need to prove that you have a UK / CY address associated with those accounts.

Denise

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

i don't have skype but the emails i get are going over the same ground all the time. i don't have a general paypal problem i am still using and everything is ok it's just that a refund was sent as a payment and the amount sits on my account. previously i could use this money when buying something via paypal but they say they have changed their policy. that's just my personal problem with them but the comment made about blocking paypal in the TRNC effects anyone having a paypal account here. although it comes under Turkey i got another email stating TRNC is not part of Turkey. their new comment is shown below

'just have let you

know that this is likely to happen in order to bring it to your

attention. PayPal does not operate in Northern Cyprus. It is not a part

of Turkey.'

anyone who has paypal here could suddenly find that it's blocked in the future. this is just to let you know. whether anything can be done to prevent this i don't know.

Agobard

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

I have always found paypal a nightmare organisation to deal with but I have an account with them for occasional use. At one point they told me that everything would work OK here in the TRNC but that you need to use a Turkish bank account, not a TRNC bank. Whether this is still the case I don't know. I lost the will to live after their 32nd e-mail!

Kibris

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

How did they know about the TRNC part? when i registered with them i used mersin 10, Turkey - i have had no problem or email from them so far.

Denise

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

mes 4 have sent you an email

mes 7 i am with the Turkish Bank but i think that it's actually a TRNC bank it's not easy to change your bank and i have been with my bank since 1994. i know what you mean about losing the will to live and i have probably only had about half the emails you had. i have never been told by them i can't use my particular bank and it has worked all these years so why should it be any different now!

Denise

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 17:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

mes 8 i do not know exactly except it is not directly to USA you send emails they go to an EU contact office and my replies are from people with Turkish names so whether there is an office in Turkey dealing with paypal i don't know but any Turkish person would be able to identify the Mersin 10 address as TRNC and i suppose there are rules they are abiding by . when i was first told i live in Northern Cyprus and paypal doesn't operate here i was very shocked as my address is always shown as Turkey but that's the only explanation i can think of, that paypal has put out offices all over the place to be more local.

Troodo

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

I suspect some Greek has got in the pipework.

compass

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

Completely agree with mess 7.

When it works it's very useful but when it doesn't it's a nightmare to sort out, you get very little sense out of them.

Compass

Washerman

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

Highlights the importance of dealing locally (where you can) and with someone who advertises a local contact number !

stockiefan

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

Agree with message 12, we have lost the will to live after our card was "blocked" after using it in Jordan. We can't use ebay anymore. We have mailed and called them to no avail, useless.!!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

re msg 12 / 14

compass/ stockiefan

Just try getting Santander in the UK to sort out problems with credit card blocking ... GRRRR..

Paypal are pussy cats compared to them

Stockie.. Paypal do not 'block' your credit card... only the bank can do that.... perhaps you mean you tried to pay / login from Jordan ?

I ask as I get this ALL the time with Paypal - if they see an unusual login location - you WILL get blocked.. suggest if you have a UK Paypal account - use a UK VPN if not in the UK..

I simply login, click on help, contact us, get a web pin number and call 'em... fixed in a jiffy...

re msg 13

Washerman..

>>Highlights the importance of dealing locally (where you can) and with someone who advertises a local contact number !<<

?? THIS thread is about Paypal - an international payment clearance system - that focuses on the security of it's members..

Members paying via Paypal on a credit card are double protected.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 21:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

(cont) losing the ability to use paypal as a payment method for online shopping / buying off ebay would be a REAL pain to many members...

rejela

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

mmmmmm, do you know if paypal can rumble the fact that I am using a Roc address but my VPN is here min KKTC. If they can can do nthat it will then be necessary to use a UK VPN as you suggested. How much does a UK VPN cost? thanks.

erolz

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

To date I personaly have had no issues using paypal related to the location derived from internet access. I have a paypal account from when I lived in the Uk registered to a UK address and linked to a current UK credit card. I have bought many items using an IP that tracks to Turkey with no issues. Just my personal experience, but I have never had paypal question the use of a non UK internet account. I have had issues with some sites, that sell products based on region like computer games, but not with paypal itself.

mickhm

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

I came out for three weeks in May. Just before I left I bid on an item. It finished when I was in the TRNC and I paid with paypal. The next day paypal suspended my account until I could verify my identity. I could do most of the steps except answer my home phone for a check on my address. I contacted paypal who said they would accept a fax or scan of a utility bill in my address. I pointed out I was on holiday and don't usually take utility bills away with me. After ceveral more e-mails I eventually got paypal to accept who I was and my account restriction was lifted. I can only presume it was because I paid for an item whilst in the TRNC that resulted in my account being suspended. You have my sympathy but perevere and it should work out alright

erolz

Message Posted:
05/07/2011 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Could it be related to size of trnasaction as well perhaps ? Most of mine through paypal are in the region of 10-30 sterling and not sure I ever paid anything over 150 via this route. Or maybe it is a 'history' thing - I have a long record of having made payments from the account from both turkish IP addressed internet accounts and from UK ones (and german for a while when I was on 2 way sat internet) going back 9 years or so ?

mickhm

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 01:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

sorry no my transaction was for the princely sum of £2.84

erolz

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 06:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

Strange mickhm. Just trying to understand why the difference ? I made a payment yesterday for 9 pounds no problem from my un VPNed TRNC net connection. I also pay a regular monthy 'standing order' type charge as well through paypal that has been running for 5 or 6 years now. I wonder why I have not had problems and yet you did. Anyway I'll keep my fingers crossed that this does not change for me.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

rejela re msg 17

I wanted to keep my CY when I spent less time there and I got told by Paypal that they were "country specific", and had to use a UK account ..

I simply wrote and asked that if they were "country Specific" why did they - a US entity, have a Luxenbourg address in the EU, with a UK tel no., that rings through to the Irish Republic .... ??

Stick to your guns - put it in writing - you should be fine..

araneae

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

i have uk paypal and use it via trnc for many years now.

metin

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

No problems with my account either.......but I am UK registered.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/07/2011 15:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Mickhm, just had another thought about what my be 'different'. I have never used my paypal account to pay anything directly, only ever to mediate the use of a credit card payment, so that I do not have to enter all my details again or pass CC info to the seller. Were you trying to pay directly from money that was in your paypal account by any chance ? I have never put money 'in' my paypal account, if you see what I mean. Maybe that is the difference ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.