North Cyprus Tourist Board - Land lines, are they any good here?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Land lines, are they any good here?

Land lines, are they any good here?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Orams Case Land Dispute Judgement

» North Cyprus Title Deeds

» Is It Safe to Buy in Northern Cyprus?

stockiefan

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

We have a friend coming over in September and is asking about land lines? I have no idea of time lines for installation or how reliable they are. Any advise would be welcome, thanks.

Washerman

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 08:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Stockiefan....where (what area) are they going to live ?

erolz

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

It can take months and even years to get a new land line here but is very variable on area I believe. Generally the land lines are reliable but if they do develop a fault the state owned telco can be slow in fixing it, again depending on what the actual problem is. In 8-9 years we have had one fault on our landline as far as telephony goes (not ADSL) and it took a couple of weeks to get it rectified. Not exactly a 'survey' but my own personal experience.

Things may improve if the much talked about privatisation of the state own telco here goes ahead. Maybe.

andrew4232

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

how many years do you have ! I was told the average waiting time for a land line is about 2 yrs

stockiefan

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 08:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for your replies, he is going to live in Ozankoy.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 09:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

I have been waiting 4 years.

Washerman

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

We live in Ozankoy and the nearest telegraph pole is tantalisingly close (approx 80m)

I understand that, if we wanted a landline telephone, we have to pay for the cable to be installed up to our house (sounds expensive!)

PLUS, I am also told that, there is a shortage of numbers at the exchange so, you may need to get your own number by finding an existing number that someone doesn't want or, need.

Sometimes, you can obtain a number by paying the outstanding debt that has been left by the previous user of an existing number.

If they are going to be living in a village or, town, and there is already copper installed in the area, they maybe lucky. If they know someone in the right place, they maybe even luckier !

vonny

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 09:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

We were lucky that our land line was already here when we bought the house,we have never had any problems with it BUT we are on our 3rd phone as the phones here do not seem to last very long.i only tend to use the phone once a week to my dad in scotland,everybody else i keep in contact through mobile or internet,sadly dad is behind in time,if it wasnt for him i would gladly give up my land line as i wouldnt need it.its far cheaper for people using a mobile,especially for local calls

stockiefan

Message Posted:
09/07/2011 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Goodness me! Sounds like they are more trouble than they are worth. We have been here 7yrs and managed OK with a mobile.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.