North Cyprus Tourist Board - Taking a cat to TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Taking a cat to TRNC

Taking a cat to TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

dunminning

Message Posted:
05/11/2008 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Any one brought a cat over recently ? Turkish airlines seem to be the only ones available in January from UK. What happens when you land with cat at Ercan - will a representative of the quarantine section meet the flight or what?

Would welcome any information

Thanks

spangles

Message Posted:
05/11/2008 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

Liaise with Defra in England and Quarantine here in Cyprus to give you up to date information of requirements regarding immunisations and certification of health etc. and follow tham TO THE LETTER. Our cat was flown from Manchester to Ercan (free of charge) and was collected by a representative of the Quarantine Dept. from the airport. Although this was six years ago and things change, I am sure this was with Cyprus Turkish Airlines and she was booked in by a very helpful guy in their Cargo Dept. who just needed confirmatfion of the size of cage. At the UK airport staff checked vacination certificate and the "fit to travel" verification, size of cage and water availability.

Next time we saw her was at Ercan. Be aware although quarantine time here may be short you are responsibe for feeding, cleaning etc. Good Luck.

Groucho

Message Posted:
05/11/2008 22:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

I would find your moggie a new home in the country of her choice... the weather here is not what they are use to... well it's bloody hot really, honest it is...

There are so many cats needing a good home out here it breaks your heart... if you've got one!

spangles

Message Posted:
05/11/2008 22:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

Ignore Groucho if your cat is part of your family. My cat settled down fine, after the builders had left. She was 13 when we brought her here and 17 when she died last year. She adapted well. Cats are smart they will find a cool place as sure as they will find a warm one in winter.

gottheyips

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

Good advice from spangles in message 2, even better message 4.

Our two middle aged labradors and young cat SURVIVED !!! the travel, Quarintine,and weather and are as settled as we are.

Good Luck

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 02:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

Good God - is there anything on this board that Groucho hasn't got a point of view/advice on? From the {long lived} Cyprus problem to whether or not to bring your pets - you name it, he has some advice to give! Now I know that is what these boards are all about in essence, but, purleese, give it a sodding rest. I, for one, am sick and tired of the fact that no matter what is mentioned on this board, certain members have something (usually a lot of boll...s) to say about it. It is interesting that a lot of the 'old' members of this board no longer post - more's the pity. I miss the informative advice that used to be put on here - it certainly stood us in good stead some years ago. It is also interesting to note that most of the people who post on here lately are new members. And, whilst I am at it, and I know this will really annoy people, is there any way we can get a BLOODY SPELL CHECK ON HERE PLEASE. Yes, I know I am a grumpy old woman, but it drives me insane!!!!!!

J

w26kay

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 02:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

From ond grumpy old woman to another. I would not take my pussy to TRNC.

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 02:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

w26kay

Quite frankly, if I were a few years younger, neither would I! Although, on the other hand.........................

P.S. Where do you get the Emoticons from for this board?

w26kay

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 02:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

Ah but if I was a few years younger.......

I think I may be tempted!

Although I hear you can't get the "whiskers" these day!

wink wink.

The only smiley you can get on this BB is

hold down shift and control at the same time as colon and then ) makes a smiley.

w26kay

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 03:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Seriously though I would not take my Cat to TRNC.

lovelife

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 10:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

I will not be bringing our cat over to the TRNC as much as I will be hated to be parted from him, he is a bit if a free spirit and I feel that he would hate the journey and the quarantine, he will stay with my mother.

As Groucho says there are plenty of cats (and dogs) at Kar to be adopted.

LL

Groucho

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Jean,

My God you are touchy.... have another mogadon and take a rest... or don't read my posts...

I don't think putting forward the opinion that bringing an animal, that has no choice in the matter, through the distress of being quarantined to come to a country literally overrun with wild or feral cats and dogs needs to be thought about is either controversial or unwarranted...

Every day I see several animals dead on the road... I would say a lot more than I ever saw in the UK...

And "purleese" ha ha good fodder for the spell checker...

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

I brought my 5 cat's from England 2 and 1/2 years ago, and they have all settled in fine. Really friendly, helpful staff at Airpets in England, and also friendly helpful people this end when they arrived at Ercan. One of my cats was even given an extra large carrier as he suffers from claustrophobia(please don't ask how I know!!) They still had water in each of the carriers when they arrived here, and didn't seem at all upset. We went with them to quarantine and settled them in, and they always seemed their normal selves each day, brought them home and kept them in the house for the first 2 weeks, then let them out. No problem.

They are Maine Coons, a very big, American breed with long hair, yet they coped fine in the summer. Just slept through the day and went out in the garden at night. Cat's are intelligent and will find a place to sleep wihere they are comfortable and out of the heat.

mitsi

Message Posted:
06/11/2008 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

We brought our cat with Turkish airlines as excess baggage at around £7 per kilo I think it was in May. we had nothing to pay as he did not exceed our baggage allowance. Long trip, even though we got the shortest flight available add travel time to Uk airport. On arrival you are met by rep from quarantine. We insisted we go with him but not allowed really. Cat was upset for 4 days but finally settled and started eating etc; Not a good experience for any of us but after 3 weeks he was allowed home to serve out the rest of his term 3 more weeks. We thought we'd made a big mistake but he's great now and no way could we have left him behind. Wherever we go he goes. Cost at quarantine varies but we paid around £76. More expensive than people lead you to believe. You must provide all food, litter and tray do All cleaning etc. Take salt cos you need to put around the drains to stop slugs eating all the food. Prepare yourself it is not pleasant but worth it to keep your pet.

fire starter

Message Posted:
07/11/2008 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

quarantine here is not that bad.

i have seen worse show kennels in the uk.

your cat coming from the uk will be vaccinated for more or less everything so don't worry it will be fine.

i think the max it will do in quarentine is about 21 days, most of the time it won't be that long ordipending on how busy they are, as space there is limited.

good luck!

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
07/11/2008 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

I didn't find quarantine that bad either(admitedly I wasn't the one staying!), but found the staff friendly and helpful. With regard to the salt and slugs, I also put salt all around the bottom of the walls, and then asked the guy working their, not to hose down the pens as it just washes it away. I just swept them out to keep them clean. It's different for people with dogs, but cats use the litter trays, so could see no reason to wash out the pens each day.

fire starter

Message Posted:
07/11/2008 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

we didn't have a slug problem at all.

one morning we did find a dead mouse in our shar pei's kennel though.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.