North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electrical problem - earth leakage fault
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electrical problem - earth leakage fault

Electrical problem - earth leakage fault

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

luem1

Message Posted:
19/07/2011 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

My RCCD trips at odd intervals.

Are there any electricians out there who can do an earth leakage clamp test?

matula

Message Posted:
19/07/2011 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

I have been an electrician allmy working life and I have never heard of an E/L clamp test!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/07/2011 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Make sure you lend your friendly TC electrician your gumboots [UK 'Wellingtons'] while he's doing the test - you don't want him to 'Cypriotise' HIMSELF!

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 10:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Depends where you are.

If Lapta way try Brad on 0542 887 0995.

If Catalkoy way try Mikethespark on here.

petemate

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Tripping of RCCD is usually caused by faulty equipment plugged into sockets. Steam irons or kettles are favourite, or washing machines or dishwashers. Dampness is also a possibility in outside equipment but unusual at this time of year, unless you have had flooding in pool room.

It is very much a case of trial and error.

It could also be a faulty trip unit, which might be worth changing first, if none of the above are in use when it trips.

ttoli

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

I had exactly the same problem myself a few years ago, turned out that Kibtek had put the two wires feeding into the Meter the wrong way round, an Electrician friend gave my house and its wiring the A Ok, so I went off to Kibtek with a TC friend , who translated only to be told "What does an English Electrician know about Cyprus Electric??", only by way of a "Drink", was the matter resolved.

Frogandtoad

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

An RCD is a 'RESIDUAL CURRENT DEVICE' originally called an RCCB 'Residual Current Circuit Breaker'. They both perform the same earth leakage protection, just the name changed. The usual cause for a RCD trip is faulty electrical connection in the equipment. This can be as simple as a loose terminal in the plug or more complex like a faulty thermostat in the washing machine or water heater. You can try unplugging ALL your equipment that is on the circuit that trips, then reset the RCD, then plug in items one at a time and switch it on and see which one trip's it out , this will be the faulty one. If this does not work do the same but leave each item switched on. It could be you have to many electrical items for the circuit. If in doubt call an electrician out.

sheffpants

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 13:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Try CDS - Commercial & Domestic Services Ltd

We are an entirely British owned repair and maintenance company here in Northern Cyprus.

Should you still be having trouble with this problem we will be happy to help.

Please call customer service on

0548 8444 999

or for further information visit our website

http://www.cdscyprus.com

info@cdscyprus.com

luem1

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies.

I have a very good knowledge of electrics but I don't have the equipment.

The only way to solve the problem is by an earth leakage clamp test.

I hear what you say Matula, but if you've not heard of it, then I don't want you near my electrics. Try googling it and you'll see what I mean.

negativenick

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

if its any help....

we had similar problem - changed the rcd for a higher quality one with a slightly higher rating and bingo it solved the problem.

laptarunner

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 17:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

As previous posters have said it may we worth changing the trip, as they do appear to get weak after a priod of time. Also if you have a big pool pump or a/c it may be worth fitting a trip for motors which pull a load on start up, can't remember the prefix off the top of my head.

luem1

Message Posted:
20/07/2011 17:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks for that Nick. I've changed the RCD for a new one. I wouldn't go to a higher rating - 30ma is the recommended max. to avoid fatal shock.

Laptarunner - the load isn't a matter. Earth leakage is an imbalance between phase and neutral. But you are right that higher rated MCBs should be used for motors pulling a high initial start up load. The MCBs are all C curve to cater for this.

elko2

Message Posted:
21/07/2011 09:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

I do not recommend changing the RCD as a matter of trial and error. With electrics, its always advisable to diagnose first.

Since this is an erratic trip it is very difficult to find the fault by trial and error. The electrician will have to measure the amount of "leakage" in existence i.e. in simple terms the resistance to earth. This can be done by a simple multiple tester or by more sophisticated equipment. The simple multimetre will measure at about 5-10 volts whereas the more proıfessional equipment will measure at 250-500 and even 1000 volts for dead reliable results. It will also measure how quickly your RCD trips when it should and if its reliable.

One final point: 300 mA is for "indirect" protection i.e. it will protech any metal chasses becoming dangerously live. It will not protect anybody for direct contact. For this you need a 30 mA RCD i.e. a much more sensitive one.

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.