North Cyprus Tourist Board - Re Closed Threads on Cyprus44
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Re Closed Threads on Cyprus44

Re Closed Threads on Cyprus44

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus44

PhilUK

Message Posted:
23/07/2011 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

No1Doyen-I appreciate the necessity to stop spam,and yes there was a proliferation of job seekers for some reason.

But you have shut down one or two threads from legitimate posters (myself included).

Now, if a legitimate thread has, say 20 legitimate replies(after all it is a public forum)but then a spam message asking for a job, or advertising a massage, it seems harsh to me to deprive everyone on the forum of reading the legitimate posts.

For example,I see a thread started by NN is closed with no further access to all the messages, now I'm adult enough (In my opinion) to decide what is or is not suitable for my reading,and whilst NNs opinions don't coincide with my own, I must say that a lot of his threads do make for entertaining reading.

After all, the forum is all about banter, and the giving and gaining of information, and not unnecessary censorship.

Please don't go 'Mary Whitehouse' or 'nanny knows best' on us,freedom of speech is essential in any democracy.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

A member posted on here a few days ago about the complete deletion of threads after they have been closed down the purpose of which was to prevent the 'spammed' thread being kept open on the forum.

Now I for one completely agree with you about freedom of speech but to keep a spammed thread open in my opinion serves no purpose.

Some threads are closed but then left open for other members to see what has happened - look at the thread that I closed of yours for example. It served no purpose to delete it completely but clearly serves a purpose in keeping people informed.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

By the way, the NN thread was deleted because of unnecessary remarks about a young lady who died today. Also another thread was running.

PhilUK

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

No1doyen-I agree about closing pointless threads completely, but I think you missed my point a bit.

Why should a thread with 20 valid posts be closed (and by this I mean no messages are available to view)

simply because the 20th post was either spam/and/or offensive.

I do appreciate that being a moderator is a difficult(and unpaid)job, I also appreciate that keeping all of the people happy all of the time is also a tricky balance.

But you have closed a fair few threads that contained a lot of messages the contents of which I will never know-now I call that unnecessary censorship.

My own post is a case in point,

I posted a link to a humorous video(that was on BBC2 -so not offensive by BBC definitions,which are pretty strict & PC)

I then find the thread has been closed, no reason, or explanation.

Now, it's possible that someone has posted spam on the thread-but I go back to my original point-why deprive everyone from seeing the legitimate posts-I guess I'll never know

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

All the threads that I completely closed were to do with Job's. They had been started months ago in some cases and someone chose to spam the forum by resurrecting them. If you were unfortunate to have posted a link to a humorous video about jobs on one of the threads then I'm sorry but thats what happens when threads get spammed - a genuine poster sometimes suffers.

However I maintain the stance that I took, and will continue to take, when threads are spammed.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
24/07/2011 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.