North Cyprus Tourist Board - Follow up to eating at Al Shaheen Sunday Evening
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Follow up to eating at Al Shaheen Sunday Evening

Follow up to eating at Al Shaheen Sunday Evening

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

cyprus-dodger

Message Posted:
25/07/2011 16:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Went to Al Shaheen on Sunday evening following recommendations from the forum - what I would say is the following I found it alright, nothing fantastic but alright, what I did find tho was it was expensive for what we had for dinner.

As we had eaten a late lunch we did not want a huge meal so we plumped for 4 x Pompadoms with pickles for a light starter, I had a Lamb Jhalfrazi @26.00TL and my wife a Lamb Rogan Josh @26.00TL with a Tarka Dall as a side dish, this was washed down with a pint of Efes and my wife a glass of white wine.

The bill was 80.45TL which I thought was a bit on the high side for the amount of food, I was thankful we did not go for the big starters, couple bottles of wine and a Nan & other side dishes as we would have hit the 120.00TL +++ no bother.

The service was excellent and setting with the main road dust and noise was not the best I have enjoyed.

Nevertheless it was alright do I go back maybe, maybe not, probable try Jashan's also recommended.

d

Panchocat

Message Posted:
25/07/2011 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

If you had followed recommendations on the forum you would have been better going on a Saturday night for the special curry evening!

That is a two course meal, main with either starter or dessert, with first local drink included for 24TL. Chapattis are included in that price. Your Efes and wife's wine would then have been in the inclusive price. Excellent value IMHO!

You also ordered lamb dishes and Lamb here is very expensive.

As for the setting, what can I say? The coast road is long and lined with restaurants

As for dust, we are frequent customers and have never been affected by dust from the road, even when it has been windy. The terrace is raised and the garden is between the restaurant and the road.

Glad you appreciated the excellent staff at Al Shaheen though.

Keep up the great work, Imtiaz you can't please everyone I guess.

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
26/07/2011 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Re Message1,

I think the main road was there when you arrived there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

negativenick

Message Posted:
26/07/2011 07:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

i would agree with the op..........

a neg nick 5/10 - ok but you can find better without much effort............

flamefabs

Message Posted:
26/07/2011 07:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

always found the food ok, but the place lacks atmosphere.

barry d

cyprus-dodger

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 10:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Thanks for your replies - I was not in the North on Saturday Night maybe it would have been a better idea for sure, my comments about the food was that it was alright, that's not a bad comment just compering with other Indian Restaurant I have experienced.

Dust and roads, yes the road was there when I arrived (comment ignored) but I think the dust was coming from the car park along side the restaurant when people arrived and drove off.

Atmosphere yes lacking a bit for sure, but the service was good.

Having said all that my thoughts about the price of the meal I still feel it was a bit on the high side for the amount of food we had, lamb or not lamb dishes.

dodger

alshaheen

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

Hi cyprus_dodger Thanks very much you came here and you enjoy the food and service.you sad Lamb Curry Dishes is bit high side.Our all Chicken Curry Dishes Price is 20 TL and Lamb Curry Dishes 26 TL included Rice and Chapatti and Raita.i don't know Lamb prices in South where you live but in North we get 28 TL to 30TL per kg.than we take the bone and all fate away.than 100 percent clean Lamb per 1 kg come to us 45 TL to 48 TL.

from 280+ gram clean Lamb we Cook one portion and use the all Spices,Onions,Tomatoes and Pepper.

The Gas,Rent,Taxes,Staff Wages,Electric and water Bills and maintenance are extra.

Maybe you see Dust in parking when cars are coming in and out.but every day we use water in parking.when you set down in Restaurant there is no dust.

Every Saturday Night we have 2 Course Meal and 1st Local drink FREE @ 24 TL.

Every Sunday from 12pm_6pm 2 Course @ 16 TL.

Thanks for your patronage,and we look forward to Welcoming you again @ AL SHAHEEN RESTAURANT

IMTIAZ (The Ma

dynamicduo

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

How did the BILL come to a total of 80.45 TL Explain Please. A strange amount. I would suggest you try that other place you mentioned then you can make a comparision.We have eaten at Al Shaheen for over 5 years and I'm as tight as a ( Duck Arse ) so it's been said and have never had course to complain about the prices.

Imtiaz. Please do not waste your time answering these types of posts .IF people cant afford the price clearly diplayed on the MENU they should not order the dishes, 5 TL KEBABS are still availible for those who want to push the boat out on a SUNDAY NIGHT

jim80

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

We have eaten at Al shaheen's many times and always had good service and at what I consider a good price. You will probably find Jashans more expensive and not as good. As for the dust, sit inside.

dynamicduo

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Ref: message #9

Glad you mentioned the name of that other place , anytime that I use that name I get accused of being a paid agent for AL SHAHEEN. I speak as I find and when we return to the U.K. and eat out at an Indian Restuarant the BILL comes to three times that of AL Shaheen. The food is of a lower standard and we leave on many occasions still feeling hungry. the latest thing we are finding are the small potion sizes of the meals in the U.K. It's so good to get back to the TRNC and pay a fair price for a good meal.

Keep up the good work see you SUNDAY Dynamicduo

Pippie

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Imtiaz,

Sounds like you're paying through the nose for your lamb. Hubby and I were talking to a guy in Lefkoşa a few months ago and he told us he was paying around 14tl per kilo (said it was decent quality too). The discussion came up cos we were complaining about the price of meat in the supermarkets. He was telling us about the high profits that they are obviously and unnecessarily commanding at the expense of retail customers. Perhaps you could do some shopping around for your wholesaler/distributor.

rowan

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

we frequently eat at Al Shaheen and have no cause for complaint at all. We have always found the food to be good and reasonably priced and as for the situation of the venue, what can you say, you can see where it is before you go in, if you dont like that then drive on.

cyprus-dodger

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

In reply to dynamicduo the bill was in fact 80.50TL - so you want me to explain in detail ok 4 x Pompadoms 8TL, 2 x Lamb Dishes 52.00TL, Tarka Dall 10.00TL and 1 x Pint Efes & Glass of Wine 11.50TL TOTAL 81.50TL.

We ordered the food from the menu we wanted and as I said in previous posts I found the food quality and quantity alright but based on the amount of food in my opinion it was on the high side.

And dynamicduo nothing to do with what is affordable I ordered what I wanted from the menu and if I wanted a Kebab I would have gone for a Kebab, you are obviously a cheap jack and tight ass and probably only go to the "Specials" on Saturdays & Sundays, if you were so familiar with the menu prices as a so called regular over 5 years you would have not asked me to explain the bill.

To put this discussion into perspective without a meat starter, bottle or two of wine, nan breads, a couple of extra side dishes compared to various other Indian Restaurants the bill was on the high

cavalryman

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Well if you can get a meat starter, a bottle or two of wine, nan breads, a couple of side dishes, a main course and popadoms fot 80.50ytl or £29 please let me know where?

Panchocat

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Well said Cavalryman. I think we would all be interested to know of such a place, possibly it's cheaper in the south where cyprus-dodger lives But would the quality of the food and service be as good as Al Shaheen?

Cyprus- dodger there is nothing cheap jack or tight about using restaurants for their specials it is a question of good financial planning especially in the current economic climate.

I think you will find that Jashans, Rafters and the Punjab all charge around the same price as Al Shaheen for lamb dishes. Certainly we have always found the prices comparable at Rafters and Al Shaheen.

Happy restaurant sampling next time you come over, there are plenty to choose from, Cyprus-dodger

dynamicduo

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you Cyprus-dodger for correcting your 80.45TL bill to 80.50TL that 5 Kurus makes all the difference to a tight ass. You had me worried I thought you had been undercharged and that upset me - glad to know you paid the full price after all.

I'm proud of being careful that's why I retired at 50 and NEVER have to bleet about spending £30 for a meal for two. Wish I could go out and get away with paying thirty quid on a regular basis and having to cross the border to achieve it.

I'm feeling rather extravagant today (just been to the bank) so I am pre-paying for 1 (one) yes - one poppadom, not quite the same as your earlier pompadom? to be included with my compliments with your next visit at this venue with any meal of 75TL or more (Excluding Drinks) This offer is valid until 30th November 2011 on Monday Nights Only. Proof of I.D. maybe required. This offer is subject to availability and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer/promotion or discount coupons.

Dyna

cavalryman

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

oooooooh!!! you are awful

cyprus-dodger

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

LOL dynamicduo thanks for pompadom offer, been reading a lot of your previous post on different subjects but your passion seems to be cheap food cheap food cheap food you must be a big fattie?

Al Shaheen must be very grateful or all your many glowing comments chipping in on several members threads, some of which I agree with, however everyone has the right to eat at a restaurant of their choice and furthermore the right to comment on how they found the food etc. without being flamed with immature comments.

To repeat my comments I found the food to be alright, this is not a negative comment it's probably middle of the road comment, but I feel the total bill was on the high side for the dishes we ordered.

We order the food we enjoy regardless of cost without sitting with a calculator in our pocket, as you seem to do reading previous posts, every post has a full blown breakdown of the cost of every mouthful followed by how cheap your meal was compered with xyz.

chrism

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Try The Old Mill Ozankoy next time, Wednesday and Friday 4 course curry special only18tl not to be missed, thanks

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.