North Cyprus Tourist Board - mmmmm should be banned from the board
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > mmmmm should be banned from the board

mmmmm should be banned from the board

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Rogerdodger

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 127 in Discussion

5 m's should be banned from the board, the only reason he comes on to the board is to stir up shit and piss people off, he lives in the South so why does he come onto this board, I know its called freedom of speech, but he is just an arrogant arse, he slags of not only people but others who have a business in NC and who are trying to make a living out of it, and he knows who I mean, oh hang on he might not as he ha s slagged of so many! he should get on with his sad life, and for the record Arriva the satellite company are doing and excellent job and provide a brilliant service and I am sure there are many others out there who agree with me!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 127 in Discussion

Rogerdoger

1/ I live in the UK.. I have lived in Cyprus for nearly 10 years. Not really sure my location is relevant..

2/ Not worried about the name calling - sorry if posting the truth / correcting misinformation annoys you.

3/ My life is anything but sad.. and I'm quite sure you'll wish to apologise when I'm proved correct.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 127 in Discussion

Not sure if mmmmmmmm actually needs defending but I have always found him to be a straight talker, both at a technical level when it comes to sat TV, etc., and at a political level when it comes to the Cyprob. We might not always agree with him about the Cyprus problem/solution, but I do get the impression that he is no friend of the RoC administration or some of the GCs.

Hippo

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 127 in Discussion

Please get your facts right

1.MM does not live in the ROC he lives with his wIfe in England

2. He gives sound unbiased advice.

3. He supplies a vip for members free

4. Please name a buisiness (as I have asked before) that has been ruined by him?

5. His predictions as regards some tv poroviders has been proved true.

6. He can consturctively argue his point without needing to use profanitys

7. He can spell something i have dificulty with sometimes

Just because he doesent fit in with your obviously high standards ,you wish to ban him!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 127 in Discussion

re msg 1

Anyway.. what happened to my 6th M ? ;)

Thank you 'TRNC' and Hippo - we go back a long ways as 'sparring partners'..

Who knows.. Roderdoger might end up the same !

Rottolover

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 127 in Discussion

Roger, I reckon people who write single-sentence paragraphs filled with errors, poor expression, insults and coarse language should be banned from C44 too.

Give it a rest, mate.

elko2

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 127 in Discussion

Well, Marky Mark (as I prefer to call him) is capable of defending himself and he does so. I agree with Vaughan and Hippo, no need to repeat them.

ismet

andre514

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 127 in Discussion

don't think I'm "defending" mmmmmm, or even the opposite, but he

has volunteered much expertise to help/advise many people without gain

in spite of his history of attacks on the trnc, or "trnc" if you prefer,

an administration with many legal, beauracratic and legal foibles,

he is also starkly realistic about the greek cypriots and that part of

cyprus under their control...he has tried to advise some of them with

very mixed results and is well aware of their blinkered outlook

nonetheless he is very hostile to the very idea of turkey-in-cyprus

and and unfailingly rejects turkey's reasons for its modern involvement

in this I am afraid we part company:

whether or not turkey is on the side of the angels, greatly exaggerating

the chances of turkey exchanging cyprus for eu membership is just a tad

mischievous if not willfully misleading

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 127 in Discussion

Rogerdoger there are posters here who's behaviour is so outreagous banning should be considerd and MM is far from the top of that list as far as I am concerned.

dizzycows

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 127 in Discussion

Again a member expressing that others should be banned! Why should mmmmmmmmmm be banned ? just because you perhaps don't like, others may like, so for goodness sake stop all daft talk of banning.....

Leave Elko 2 and others to do the job with out all this nasty stuff.....

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 127 in Discussion

I agree, 6m's is always helpful and informative,articulate and an obvious expert in his field...credit where credit is due......keep it coming Mark...

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 12:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 127 in Discussion

Who cares a 'toss' about politics? Not me! I know sweet F/A about politics but I can tell you one thing (Can't recall his name) the Turkish Prime Minister and his advisors know what they're doing. He has his hands round the throat of the ROC Government (Theoretically speaking of course) and it's just a matter of time before they take their last breath!

Quite rightly everyone is entitled to their opinion (Isn't that what forum stands for?) Get up, say your piece and sit down quick before you get a knife in the back

I'm outa here......

cornish

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 127 in Discussion

Well like the originator of this post, his contınual attacks on Arriva should stop. He is damagıng their business and I for one have only praise for their service. Yes - everyone is entitled to an opinion but where does this stop and a prolonged period of antagonistic and defamatory misinformation begin....

mrjim

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 127 in Discussion

this post should be closed rodgerdodger has'nt posted since february ulterior motive maybe.mods and mods alone decide bannings.

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 127 in Discussion

Cornish, pointing out the grey market nature of the service that some here provide and promote here repeatedly is a matter of fact and a valid response to such promotions I would say. Stating that I masqueraded as HCLOman in order to do a hatchet job on another poster/business, was a lie and defamation and that is a fact. Yet you seem to think those who state facts should be sanctioned and yet seemingly have no comment on those who have stated bald faced lies and presented such lies as fact. Can you see the appreant inconsistency in that ?

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 127 in Discussion

Re: Msg 1,

Yep, ban mx6!

So this forum will be run by five people with multiple identities talking to each other without any impediments and in total harmony!

Troodo

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 127 in Discussion

mm offten gets his facts wrong or twists there meaning, giving others the chance to correct him. So why ban him.

YFred

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 14:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 127 in Discussion

Banning people from the forum should be done as a last resort. A certain other forum banned members and see what happened to them. You have a few members all the smae opinion and a dead forum.

If you deiagree with somebody chalenge their thoughts. If they are rude then be rude to them in equal measure. But if you come accross an idiots, just ignore them. They can get you to their level and win every time as they are experts at idiotic levels.

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 14:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 127 in Discussion

As YFred says, what is the point of a Forum where every one agrees,you may as well have" One Poster" to which we can all say...

That's right.

I agree.

I thoroughly concur... It would end up like a certain members new forum.......

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 127 in Discussion

I dont feel that 5m's should be banned from the board (although he has clearly been deducted a point for something). I dont agree with much that Mark says on other matters but technical expertise of both he and washerman is unquestionable. As professionals they are coming at the matter from different angles, but then politicians, football fans and climate change experts do it all the time. It is not suprising that Satellite experts do so to.

We all like to put our own slant on a subject so should not expect others not to do so. My only concern is when posters use threats, libel or lies to attempt to intimidate other posters. I have never known 6m's to do so, although he frequently uses his Masters degree in sarcasm to great effect.

If these or any disagreements are kept to a relevant thread I have no problem. When they do disrupt totally unrelated threads I will show my concern.

Banning should be a last resort.

cavalryman

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 15:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 127 in Discussion

Certainly cheers me up when he gets on his high horse about sat systems trouble is he seems to know what he,s talking about.Pick on some of the other saddos that just try to destroy a thread!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps give him his m back

andre514

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 127 in Discussion

I agree broadly docw, but constantly attacking north cyprus, the trnc and turkey's

right to be on the island is sometimes done in a devious, and troublesome way, simply as sabotage

supposedly to help the "greek cypriots"...who have proved quite capable of shooting themselves

in the foot on very many occasions, may be both sinister and dishonest and damaging to the forum,

and by extension to a province still blockaded by its southern neighbour in league with hostile states

but for all his idiosyncrisy over turkey and the eu, mark is not a serious offender in this way and has

made a very valuable contribution to cyprus 44

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 127 in Discussion

Concerning MMMMMMMM

His ok

zerochlor

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 15:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 127 in Discussion

Message 4.

Is using a VPN to falsify which country you in are not breaking the laws of the supplying country of the website that is distributing the program/s.

If i try to watch ITV or BBC now i get a message saying this program is not available to watch in your country,why is it not available to watch in this country?

I assume it is because its not licensed to view in this country.

But if we use a VPN then it is possible.

Does this mean the VPN or the use of the VPN is breaking some law or copyright?

Anyone got any sensible answers.?

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 16:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 127 in Discussion

I may be wrong about this but I believe using a VPN is only illegal in the country of the person using it, if a specific law has been enacted against it.

It also has to be remembered that VPN's are used by many companies who have bases around the world, so any law would need to state what is illegal.

BBC may not like it, but unless anyone knows different I would think not.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 127 in Discussion

Using a VPN to access for example BBC programmes when not in the UK is in breach of the Terms and conditions of BBc Online services.

I do not think that that makes it illegal as such but puts it in the same category as viewing Tv content via satellite outside of the intended reception area.

As doctor w says legality depends on the local laws. I would be willing to bet that TRNc laws are silent on the matter.

Harold

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 16:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 127 in Discussion

Zerochlor the 'legality' of using VPN services to bypass location restrictions on things like BBC's iplayer service is totaly a grey area. The BBC has blocked IP address of such service in the past.

However the issue of pointing out the nature of various sat service offerings, as far as I am concerned is NOTHING to do with the morality or legality of using such services. It is only and entirely, for me, about consumers having the right information in order to make informed choices and relates solely to the risk to the consumer of such choices.

Paying monthly for a VPN service that may well get blocked by the BBC involves some risk, but the amounts are minimal. Paying up front for a years supply of sat TV service that may get disconnected is an entirely different scale of risk to the user. User should understand what those risk are, why they exist and how they might affect them as users. Copyright / legality is a different issue.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 127 in Discussion

He is OK.

Let him stay but only if he promises to stop telling us there is no border and even if there was the crossing isn't called Pyla !!!!!

see colloquialisms Mark.

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 16:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 127 in Discussion

Harold - sopt on. The 'legality' of such VPN use is very similar in many ways to use of grey market sat services, recent pending EU rulings not withstanding for EU based sat services. However what is materilay different is the level of risk to users of a monthly VPN service vs a yearly sat TV service, in terms of lost money, not in terms of potential prosecution. If the BBC does decide to clamp down on VPN users and blocks the IP that my VPN provider uses, I stand to loose some % of the five pounds I pay monthly for my service and nothing more. If OSN decides to clamp down on grey market use of its service, user stand to loose significantly more than 5 pounds or less.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 127 in Discussion

Hey Errol, here's an easy one for you:

What's a VPN, how is it used, and why do you need one?

You know I'm serious, because I didn't know what a domain was either...(until you explained it).

0maintenance

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 127 in Discussion

Erolz.

Just before i go out,answer rottolover please in message 30

normally your on the ball !

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 127 in Discussion

VPN stand for virtual private network. Traditionaly they were used by businesses to connect remote workers to internal private corporate networks using an open public network like the internet to create a 'virtual' private connection. They use encrytion between the client machine (the remote worker) and the the VPN server a(machine in the companies office) to do this.

Today they are widely used by 'home' users to change the appearance of where geographically a user internet connection comes from. The reason is sites like BBC iplayer, will not allow access to much content if you are not in the UK. They look at your 'address' when you connect and if its not a UK one they do not allow access. Using a VPN creates a private link between you and the VPN server. You then connect out to the rest of internet from this server machine and if its in UK that what site like BBC iplayers see.

Not a great explaination - bit rushed atm. will try and do simpler better one later.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 127 in Discussion

dodgerRoger,

What has our old mate 6xm done to rattle your cage?

As for banning him I totally disagree, in fact I think he should be nominated for the 'Most Helpful Member Award'

colly

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 127 in Discussion

I'm with Hippo, Vaughn and the others that support Mark. From what I can see (over many years) he argues his point very well and with more than equal respect. Just because he holds a different opinion to some does not make him a target for banning.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 127 in Discussion

'mmmmmm's posts, on whatsoever subject, are continually informative and most interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, freedom of speech, providing it doesn't compromise national security, is sacrosanct.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 18:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 127 in Discussion

Re: Msg 30,

I wish I could 'borrow' erolz for a couple of days to explain to me how my Sony VAIO works - the thing drives me mad!

Re : Msg 35,

Absolutely!

erolz

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 127 in Discussion

Clarrisa2 where are you based ? If you want I would be happy to spend some time with you to try and help you get a better understanding of your machine and what you can do with it. Just email me if you are interested.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 19:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 127 in Discussion

message 36

i might be able to arrange the rental of him if you wish

15TL an hour

But dont get him on the subject of 6ms or washerman or youll be paying for 10 hours

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 127 in Discussion

re 20 DoctorW

>>but technical expertise of both he and washerman is unquestionable. <<

Please do NOT put Washerman - in the same 'bracket' re his 'knowledge of things Sat' .. this clearly shows you really don't pay attention, doc... 2 marks deducted and detention - must try harder.. ;)

To everyone - whether it was a good or bad 'observation ' - thanks for your input - I had a lovely day installing our 55th Sat internet connection, since June 1st and have met some great folk who chose to live in the middle of no where and are now 'connected' - at least it keeps me away for the forum ;)

re VPNs.. even the BBC's tech prog 'Click' has dedicated half an episode to the use of VPNs to get around geo-blocking. They clearly state that it is a legal grey area... even more so as if you can get the content via satellite.. it can - and is argued that it should be available in the EU - to EU citizens.

If a VPN was used to attempt to defraud - that would be a different thing....

newscoop

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 127 in Discussion

RE 6M;

I rarely agree with him but he's a helpful so and so at times so leave him alone.

There are currently at least two others who should be banned for offensive and personal posts, 6M has never sunk that low.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 127 in Discussion

re 17 Troodo

>>mm offten gets his facts wrong or twists there meaning, giving others the chance to correct him<<

Whaaaaaat ? ! :o

re 13, Cornish

>>prolonged period of antagonistic and defamatory misinformation <<

Couldn't agree more - but you'll learn...

andre_514 re 8

>> unfailingly rejects turkey's reasons for its modern involvement <<

as do many TCs.. you forget I visit Turkey - a lot ...

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 127 in Discussion

Neither 6m's or anyone else should be banned because their view is different to yours (mess 1 rogerdoger)

Stay with it Mark! keep on being honest and straight! and ignore your critics

TopTen

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 127 in Discussion

6MS tells it how he see,s it and it invariably it turns out to be right, he as helped me as he as helped others you ask and he will do all he can to assist.

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 127 in Discussion

'mmmmm should be banned from the board'

Whatever anyone thinks of this sentiment or of Mark it seems that the poster has shot himself in the foot (and maybe a little higher up too). The thread seems to have been a great advert for:

6m's!!!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 127 in Discussion

Doctorw

re msg 44

I noticed that you are also being 'nice' to me, now.... ;)

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 127 in Discussion

I was also going to congratulate you on staying on thread for once..........

but decided that with a subject so close to your heart you didnt need any encouragement.

I am generally a 'nice' person and if I believe someone is being attacked unfairly I will make my point. -- Just as I will when ANY members hijack others threads or make comments which are unjust.

One thing we do have in common - I also can't do emoticons. Perhaps we should ask another member to give us an online lesson?

> winky - smiley thing <

cooper

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 127 in Discussion

) ) )

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 127 in Discussion

DoctorW

>>if I believe someone is being attacked unfairly I will make my point<<

The trouble was - you admitted you aren't 'techie' and were barking up the wrong tree.... onwards and upwards.. ;)

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 127 in Discussion

Thanks Cooper, how did you do that?

Turtle

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 127 in Discussion

Perhaps Msg 1 is playing devils advocate

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 127 in Discussion

Turtle.. I seriously doubt it.. but at least you've given the Cornish's and RogerDodger's of this world an 'out' !!! :P

harita

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 127 in Discussion

Turtle .. How did you do that smiley ?

cooper

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 127 in Discussion

Hold the shift key and then press the key to the right of the letter L and then press the closed bracket key still holding the shift key.

"just like that"

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 127 in Discussion

Watch it Turtle,

you will have the conspiracy theorists along next!

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 127 in Discussion

Many thanks Cooper!!

harita

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 127 in Discussion

Ń)

Ń) .. When I do as you say .. Which is the shift key ?

cooper

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 127 in Discussion

Second key up on the left, have a look at this - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Laptop_Keyboard_Layout/page.asp

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 127 in Discussion

If you have a PC it is under the capslock key on left of keyboard.

Turtle

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 127 in Discussion

It will be the one that says shift on it,..

Press and hold shift press colon (two dots) then closed bracket just as coops said

No1Doyen

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 127 in Discussion

Harita. ) ) )

DoctorW

Message Posted:

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 127 in Discussion

Sorry Cooper - you beat me to it!

cooper

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 127 in Discussion

That's enough about that, can we please get back on topic ??

I would ban the bloody lot of ya )

harita

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 127 in Discussion

Ah well .. Another conundrum ..

Mine is a spanish keyboard .. This is what I get .. Ń)

DoctorW

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 127 in Discussion

Sorry Mr Cooper, Sir!

Turtle

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 127 in Discussion

Don't worry harita,... we all know you spanish have a funny smile )

cooper

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 127 in Discussion

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/images/keyboards/spanish_keyboard_layout.jpg

Try the key second in from the on the right.

brother

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 127 in Discussion

This is what I love about Cyprus44. This thread started with a "let's lynch him" cry and progressed on to become an IT HelpDesk.

A good thing too - no not the original intention in Msg.1 but more the way people are too ready to help if they can. If I can be so rude to presume I would think that the target of Msg.1 would also be only too ready to help in a similar way. I don't for one second believe that it would be up to me to decide to ban any individual just because I'm unhappy about their perceived "tone".

We are all here because we have an interest in Cyprus in some way and our interactions make Cyprus44 the ecosystem that it is. If we all agreed with each other I would be the first to avoid contributing to the discussions.

My advice FWIW is that people contribute instead of trying to homogenise the discussions

harita

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 127 in Discussion

☺☺☺ These are happy .. ☻☻☻ These are sad ..

Turtle .. I only bought the keyboard in Spain .. Getting used to it yavas yavas ..

Can't get that big smiley on ..

I ♥ you cooper .. My keyboard is "just like that"

islandgirl

Message Posted:
28/07/2011 22:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 127 in Discussion

Mark has been spot on with his advice and largely correct on many matters. He has handled himself with decency and dignity. He has a right to speak, if you do not like what he says that is your problem not his. I have sparred with him going back some time on msn boards when they were about and I have learned he is seldom wrong and I have learned much from him.

Lilli

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 127 in Discussion

Why the hell should Marky be banned again. One or two thers need this more so with the vitriol against members. Mark has always been sincere and helpful and has done so with humour and dignity. He stands up for himself and rightly so, been proved right also. No he should not be banned in my opinion.x

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 01:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 127 in Discussion

Re: Msg 37,

erolz,

it's very kind of you. I'll contact you when I'm in TRNC ( that is if I don't throw VAIO against the wall meanwhile). IMO it should be a warning sign : don't touch VAIO unless you have a degree in IT or patience of a saint. I have neither!

Re: Msg 38,

Don't worry, erolz and I shall be having an in-depth discussion about the swimming pools.

P.S. Sorry, mx6. Have digressed yet again.

I promise to seek your advice in the future re watching F1 in TRNC. Have been watching it on RTL, which doesn't work anymore for some reason.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 06:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 72 of 127 in Discussion

Hey Clarissa, I'm trying to learn about VPNs, and you throw a VAIO at me.....!

What the h*** is a VAIO?

simbas

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 08:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 73 of 127 in Discussion

Msg 72 , Rotto , It's a make of computer , we have one too

Simbas

Harold2555

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 08:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 74 of 127 in Discussion

Rottolover

It's a range of Laptops made by Sony.

Good machines normally!

Harold

Rottolover

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 75 of 127 in Discussion

Thank you both...I was feeling a bit downhearted at seeing all these esoteric acronyms being thrown about, and not knowing what they were. Another kind of laptop I can handle.

Thanks too to Errol for your answer. I'm currently in China, suffering all the censorship that usually occurs here, like no twitter (don't use it anyway), no facebook (hardly use that either), no Youtube (miss that one a bit though), and the blocking of a number of sports and news URLs which really does give me a pain.

If I had one of these VPNs here, could I access all these currently unavailable URLs?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 76 of 127 in Discussion

If you can connect to one ( a VPN) .. YES !

cornish

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 09:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 77 of 127 in Discussion

To mx6

Turtle.. I seriously doubt it.. but at least you've given the Cornish's and RogerDodger's of this world an 'out' !!! :P

Well probably like RogerDodger - I don't need an 'out'.... ? Whatever, that means. You are quite entitled to your opinion - be it good/bad/indifferent..... but prolonged 'attacks' on someone trying to make a living here and who to my certain knowledge have many satisfied customers; is totally uneccesary.

You may or may not feel the need to respond to this... I personally feel enough has been said....

pablodaddy

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 78 of 127 in Discussion

In my experience 6M's only ever responds to people who try to put him down for whatever reason.

It is also the same old same old from the usual moaners.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 79 of 127 in Discussion

Mark, you see, this is part of your problem. You keep assuming that everyone knows exactly what you're talking about. But you need to understand that not all are Errols, Washermen, pcDoctors, Kbasats or Jackslads...some are only partially aware of the Internet, and then there's me.

To explain even more clearly what I mean, I wouldn't have the first idea how to 'connect' to one, even if I knew what 'one' was! Is 'it' (the VPN I presume) a device I need to buy, or a service I need to purchase, or an action I need to carry out on the laptop?

See?

TopTen

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 80 of 127 in Discussion

::::::::::

TopTen

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 81 of 127 in Discussion

IT DON,T WORK @::::::::::::::::::::::::

Cocklebay

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 82 of 127 in Discussion

With all this ëxpertise!, why are these people not directing multi national companies!!!!!? Mmmm!, must be making millions in the KKTC or the ROC not!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 83 of 127 in Discussion

re msg 77

Cornish

>>You are quite entitled to your opinion - be it good/bad/indifferent..<<

Actually, you're simply repeating the same mistake Dopi clients made.. It's not an opinion - it's FACT...

erolz

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 84 of 127 in Discussion

Rottolover in theory using a VPN service would bypass the many blocks on the internet China has. However I would check and do some research first to establish if doing so with the intent of getting round such blocks is an offence in China before tyring to do so. Given what I understand of the regieme there this may well be the case and it might not be wise to 'push it'. I really can not say one way or another to be honest.

As far as what you need to connect to a VPN, there is no harware involved. It is just a csse of configuring a connection via your operating system (probaly windows). I use a paid for VPN service from these people

http://vpnuk.net/

And there are instructions on that site for the various ways you can configure a VPN connection with various different operating systems (windows, mac os, android etc). If you just want an idea of how to do it have a look there. Do be careful if you try from China. THere may be no problem doing so, I just do not know.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 85 of 127 in Discussion

Hi Errol, thank you for that information. I've had a look at that link, and they mention China and Saudi Arabia (where I live) as being two of the countries in which their VPNUK will be an advantage, without saying anything about legalities.

I might give it a try....are you also available for legal consultation if I am arrested?

dublinderm

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 86 of 127 in Discussion

Hi,

The orginal poster of this thread should be the one in the firing line for banning!!!

It is the duty of the mods to decide if rules have been broken, not someone with 'issues'.

I have not always seen eye to eye with Mark, and frequently disagree with his (apparantly) pro-Greek stance on many matters. This does NOT mean I would want to see him off the board. Robust discussion is what this thing is all about!!!

Now I have had my tuppence worth.

DD

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 87 of 127 in Discussion

re msg 79

Rotto

Again I must ask that you do not include a certain poster who is clearly BSing his clients re his tech abilities in the same lofty levels as ErolZ and now Kbasats or Jackslads...

Now if you ask me nicely I can email how to have a free trial .. I'm on the road all day - so you'll get a response for when you wake up ;)

erolz

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 88 of 127 in Discussion

Rottolover msg 85

"are you also available for legal consultation if I am arrested?"

No. I do however promise to start and internet campaign for your release should you get arrested. I'll go and check if the domain 'freerottolover.org' is available right away.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 89 of 127 in Discussion

Thank you Mark, but I've actually managed to sign up for the free trial offer from VPNUK, thanks to Errol's link.

Incidentally, to someone with my very limited abilities in IT, all of those people I mentioned, as well as your good self, are in a realm so far loftier than mine they could all be inhabiting a different galaxy...

Thanks Errol, that domain may need a workout.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
29/07/2011 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 90 of 127 in Discussion

Hey Rotto, does the UK VPN allow you to see stuff that the Chines would prefer folks NOT to see ? ;)

Rottolover

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 03:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 91 of 127 in Discussion

Yes Mark, it appears so. I've been checking out some clips on Youtube that weren't working yesterday, so it seems that all previously-censored material is now available. Including BBC.com...Doctor Who is returning I see.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 92 of 127 in Discussion

Thanks, Rotto...

Shows how simple it is to get around !!

Remember, if challenged you need the VPN to access your company's server ;) ....

Rottolover

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 10:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 93 of 127 in Discussion

You're doing it again, Mark...challenged how? By a loud knock on the door?

I don't have a company, so I presume I don't need to access its server?

But how do I make them go away....?

gazmufc78

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 10:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 94 of 127 in Discussion

6m's has my vote. There is obviously a hidden agenda here!!

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 95 of 127 in Discussion

re 93

Rotto

Yes, the 'dreaded knock on the door'

Seriously, the beauty of a VPN is the P in the middle...

If you get a knock on the door, make sure your browser is set to delete your viewing history when you close it - so close the browser - BEFORE you answer the door ;)

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 96 of 127 in Discussion

....oh and disconnect from the VPN ;)

brother

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 97 of 127 in Discussion

I just wanted to add to the advice - unfortunately in a cautionary way - that it is still possible to detect that you are accessing sites abroad through the encrypted (VPN) connection. However, unless you are a, shall we say, "a person of interest" it may not result in any specific scrutiny.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
30/07/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 98 of 127 in Discussion

I don't care what people say about Mark (6M's), I quite like him! And if Msg1 would like to meet me down a dark alley one evening I'll gladly give him/her the benefit of my opinion!

Richard

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 99 of 127 in Discussion

OMG Brinsley .. put the Bazooka away ! ..tut, tut... ;)

Why do you need to meet poor RogerDodger in the dark and down an alley ?

Much better we clear up our differences on here or better still over a pint / glass of wine... the drinks are best consumed - not worn...

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 01:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 100 of 127 in Discussion

@ msg 98, Br.etc: (...) would like to meet me down a dark alley one evening I'll gladly give him/her the benefit of my opinion! (...)

▶ When he is ignored - even after a warning in public on this board - this gentleman "Brinsley" prefers to threaten you with his sad walking stick and then has to be calmed down by his friends (names not necessary now, eh?), who later apologise on his behalf.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 01:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 101 of 127 in Discussion

Post removed , due to offensive language ......... Simbas

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 02:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 102 of 127 in Discussion

@ msg 101, Brinsley.

1 : You don't dare to write that my message 100 is untrue.

2: I'll translate (and apologise for it) what you wrote: "Neuken!" In the (urban) English language it means "!".

Yes, Sir, that's exactly what it means.

Thanks for the translation , expletive removed , ......... Simbas

Rottolover

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 03:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 103 of 127 in Discussion

Well, thanks to you two gentlemen for attempting to destroy this quite entertaining thread. I don't think any of your offerings were much worth reading, and hope that the first mod to awaken will delete them.

Perhaps Mr Brinsley's excuse might be that he's a Kiwi and therefore can't help himself, but I thought better of you, Hans...

simbas

Message Posted:
31/07/2011 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 104 of 127 in Discussion

Msg 101 , removed for reason given , msg 98 , a threat , serious or not , it is unacceptable .

Simbas

Lilli

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 105 of 127 in Discussion

is that a smiley i followed instructions

0maintenance

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 03:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 106 of 127 in Discussion

I agree with the title

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 04:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 107 of 127 in Discussion

re 106 a 'zero'

Please state your reasoning.. but be VERY sure you aren't in a greenhouse..

nurseawful

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 06:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 108 of 127 in Discussion

Very impressed Lilli yes you have a smiley!

Chris

Simhar

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 07:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 109 of 127 in Discussion

I have had differences of opinion with 6m before and do not always agree with him. I feel that his thoughts and arguments on OSN sat TV provision in the TRNC are aggressive but robust. The point he seems to ignore is that buying an OSN installation in the TRNC is risky but so is buying most things in the TRNC. At least buying a box with a card and paying a subscription to OSN albeit for a system that OSN thinks is in another country is better than buying a card sharing system in that it is only grey and not full blown piracy. Similar to running a Sky system here that Sky thinks is in the UK. The fact that we have to pay a premium for the service here and that it could be closed down at some point, for some, is a risk worth taking for crystal clear pictures and uninterrupted signal in HD. From what I hear the OSN provider here is going from strength to strength so I can't see what harm he is doing.

It would be very childish to ban him for having a different view, don't you think?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 110 of 127 in Discussion

Simhar re msg 109

>>I feel that his thoughts and arguments on OSN sat TV provision in the TRNC are aggressive but robust. <<

I'm sorry you feel that my responding to a series of misrepresenting of facts - is aggressive - particularly when we've seen that a member here has abused his position as a 'journo' to re-post those mis-representations - not only about me.. but the running of the board, itself !

>>The fact that we have to pay a premium for the service here and that it could be closed down at some point, for some, is a risk worth taking <<

I won't argue with that and I'm truly glad you now appreciate the risks - but you REALLY need to be aware that that risk is WAY enhanced to to the 'claims' for officialdom and overpricing ..

cyprusLulz

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 111 of 127 in Discussion

cornish should be banned and sacked from the Star shame on Ali Safer for keeping him on a day longer.

micklark

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 112 of 127 in Discussion

Isnt it amazing that the person who initiated this topic has never once come back with anything of substance to back up his claim to have 6m's banned, probably a shallow sad ex squaddie who has lost his way

>it happens<

Simhar

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 113 of 127 in Discussion

Hi Mark I thought "aggressive but robust" was very fair, and you proved it! you do not pull any punches so "aggressive" but probably right, so "robust" I would have to say that some of the other posts attacking you and Elroz are not "aggressive and robust" they are downright rude, foul mouthed and ignorant!

I feel that the OSN risk is too high, that is why I just have a free channel box and make do with that. I do have a VPN connection so I could watch english TV if I felt so inclined (I am blessed with a landline so i have 2mg adsl) but I am not a big TV watcher.

As for "Cornish" shame on him, but he does write for a complete rag!

DoctorW

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 114 of 127 in Discussion

Not really that amazing micklark, you quite often find members here making remarks about others that can't be substantiated.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 115 of 127 in Discussion

Hi Simhar

REALLY, I'm sorry that I've come across as aggressive.. that shows that I've not been as patient - despite all the untruthful 'crap' that's been thrown and your post will be noted ;)

I will try and retain my composure and be factual !

Mark

Simhar

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 116 of 127 in Discussion

Mark

Having looked up the definition of aggressive in wiki I retract that word (def: aggression refers to behavior between members of the same species that is intended to cause humiliation, pain or harm.) Sorry about that seems I was being a trifle aggressive! how about forthright instead?

Simon

cyprusLulz

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 117 of 127 in Discussion

from OSN received today @10.30am,

Dear Mr. ( name removed to protect me )

Thank you for contacting OSN feedback.

We do not have any authorized dealers in Cyprus anymore. Since the merge between Showtime and Orbit, our services are no longer provided in Cyrpus.

Please do not hesitate to contact us by return e-mail on feedback@osnetwork.com if you require any further assistance or clarification. Alternatively; please call our customer service line directly on +971 4 3677888

Rawad Sabra

Customer Care Department

Tel: +9714 3677 888

Fax:+9714 3677 560

OSN - Orbit Showtime Network

Po Box 502211

Dubai, UAE

http://www.osnetwork.com

SO 6 XM IS TELLING THE TRUTH AGAIN

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 118 of 127 in Discussion

Dear Simhar (Simon) re msg 116

Again, thanks.. [ emoticon for agreement reached and smiles, goes here ]

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 11:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 119 of 127 in Discussion

re 117..

After I was accused of 'attacking' personally' and had some inaccurate personal stuff discussed / posted on here - I went further and specifically asked about the claims made by that company claiming on on here to be able to 'guarantee continued subscriptions' and the SPECIFIC response was the subscriptions could be turned off - at ANY time..

I posted a link to screengrabs of those emails and got banned - by a mod who is no longer with us.

The irony is that is Cornish was a professional journo he might have checked his facts BEFORE running a story that now makes him look 'silly' - not just re me.. but re his claims re the running of the board.

magicart

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 120 of 127 in Discussion

CyprusLulz.

Sorry -6ms is not telling the truth again-Arriva have never claimed to be an Offical OSN Distributor.

This is just another lie trotted out by a compulsive liar.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 121 of 127 in Discussion

Dear MagicArt

Thank you for being specific at last..

>>6ms is not telling the truth again-Arriva have never claimed to be an Offical OSN Distributor. <<

You seem to have Cornish' / Jack Lobb's problem - making statements - without checking if they were in fact correct.. ;)

>>This is just another lie trotted out by a compulsive liar.<<

OK, so you have had my response to one specific - so what else have I 'lied' about ?

Mods: please leave this thread open if you can.. this might be the day we can put this nonsense to bed...

Geejay

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 122 of 127 in Discussion

How did this thread come to be resurrected. Unless a forum rule is broken NO-ONE should be banned for their opinions.

Especially if they disagree with ones own.

For goodness sake let this thread die.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 123 of 127 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 124 of 127 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

erolz

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 125 of 127 in Discussion

Magicart Arriva are still claiming here on 44 and now also in the press that the reason for them not being an authorised dealer is the non recognised status of the TRNC and that to the best of my knowledge is just not true. To me it comes accross as an active atempt by them to obfuscate the real potential issue with using such a service here in Cyprus. If the reason for them not being an authorised dealer was the 'non recognised' status of the TRNC, then there would be authorised dealers in the RoC which is recognised and there is no such dealers in the RoC. The issue is OSN do not have the rights that they buy from content owners to provide service in Cyprus, any part of it. This is NOT to do with the non recognised status of the TRNC and telling people it is, is in my view actively misleading them.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 126 of 127 in Discussion

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 127 of 127 in Discussion

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.