North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice on moving please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice on moving please

Advice on moving please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

cyprustyke

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 36 in Discussion

Hi all, I am new to the site and just wanted to get your opinion.

My family and I currently live in Paphos, we have 2 kids and have been there for 3 years. On a recent trip to Kyrenia we found it so much nicer, cheaper and friendlier. We are considering a move but wondered how you all feel about being there. In the south there are many people who have moved here and feel it was a bad move but are now stuck for many reasons. The Government, anti British attitudes, rubbish healthcare etc are an everyday issue and I feel time for a move.

What do you all think??????

stelee77

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 36 in Discussion

Paphos vs kyernia

Im trying to make the same decision,this one is as tough as they come.

I thought health care was good in the south,or if you can afford it.

I guess you will find anti british attitude from some on both sides,does not bother me one bit.

I see you live in peiya, the best views i have ever seen are from the top of peiya,and with coral bay close by for me its almost perfect,but saying that when i was in kyernia it was equally as nice in a more unspoilt way.

You can get a lot more for your money in the north,and it seems to me its always down to money,so if you can have the same lifestyle at cheaper rate it has to appeal.

When people whinge about the north it only seems to be the same problems as in the south anyway.

To me cyprus is one island one country, what ever side i choose ill just get on with it,and stay out of politics,for me kyernia/girne is my first choice at the moment and i hope to be out there after the hot summer months.Good luck.

blade

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 36 in Discussion

Don't do it! Stay in the south, the grass is always greener until you jump the fence.

You have rights in the south, here you don't. If you think the south is bad you ain't seen nothing yet.

You will regret it.

Schooling is costly, health care worse than the south, day to day living expensive, if you bring pets they can't get back out.

Many people also moved here and for what ever reasons are now trapped.

We have friends in Limassol and we often compare the differences, you defo have a better deal in the south.

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 36 in Discussion

What planet do you live on blade. Please forgive me for being a little bland with my reply but even though I've only been here a short time and as someone quite righty wrote 'you’re still in your honeymoon period' I've not found it to be exactly how you've described it.

Ones rights in the North are not much different to the South. And believe me when I say the official procedures in the south are the same if not worse than in the North!

The day to day living expenses here in the North are incredibly low!

Nobody is trapped in the North, they are free to come and go as they please!

It’s all a matter of opinion and everybody is entitled to their own. But if one makes no effort to go with the flow, wherever they may be, things will never work out for them. I feel really sorry for you if you feel trapped here but I believe you are in the minority of people who feel that way.

Visitor

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 36 in Discussion

Unfortunately you get the winging pom brigade anywhere you find an expat. I live in France and the forums here are packed with brits moaning abt taxes, healthcare,cost of living etc. My advise would be to move rent for a while but keep your options open to return if its not for you. I appreciate difficult with kids.

Remember the TRNC is not a recognised state and is unlikely to ever be. If you can accept that and all it entails then go for it.

Tonyta

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 36 in Discussion

Seems like you have enjoyed the south, good chance you will now enjoy the North. Some people are happy wherever they are, others always look at the negatives. Life is short, take a chance, but always have a plan B, rent first.

blade

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 13:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 36 in Discussion

Eric, with respect you have only been here 5 minutes and you think you know it all.

We have been living here six years,and owned a house for 7, we spend time on both sides of the island and have friends in all camps, so i guess i am qualified to comment?

Before moving here it would be a good idea to go back over all the old 44 stuff then you will see the problems face by people living here.

On a short visit you are only a tourist, the reality of living here is very very different.

Once you live here you understand the restrictions placed upon both the TRNC and yourself because of living here, it will be too late.

As Eric has learnt after arriving at Girne and not being allowed to take his car to his destination in the south.

stelee77

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 13:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 36 in Discussion

Blade

If you are living in north cyprus,and you can afford it,what problems can you have which you would not have in the south,not including buying property.

thanks

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 36 in Discussion

blade

just a thought (dont take it wrong way) why do you stay if your unhappy?

why not move south if you prefer it ?

its not intended to be insulting towards you ,im just curious thats all ....for me i like it ,but when i dont i will try something new .But i would never be trapped ?

kav

martinD41

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 36 in Discussion

msg4 Eric, I think post 1 was referring to the many people both north and south who have been robbed of their life savings after buying a property they will never own ,or having bought a property in good faith,only to find they have been "Done up like Kippers"

blade

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 36 in Discussion

I have never been robbed of anything here, and i don't prefer the south.

What i don't like is having no rights. You will have to live here for eternity before getting citizenship.

You can't take your TRNC registered car anywhere.

You are limited on flights / travel.

You can't take your pets in and out.

You have sod all rights within the law.

Many UK banks won't allow you to keep an account while living here.

You will find it hard to either start a business or get a job.

Education is not the same for kids as in the south. When they leave school will they ever be able to get a job?

If you want to shop in the south you can only buy so much.

You get taxed on your savings even if you are not working/ retired.

The meat you eat is not stamped and verified like in the south.

The animal care and welfare is crap.

The internet speed is slow.

Constant power cuts.

Postal service is poor.

Poor roads and driving skills.

Health care is hit and miss.

Do i need to go on?

Visitor

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 16:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 36 in Discussion

As I said - The TRNC is a non recognised state. For Turkish Cypriots this is still better then what they had before. But if you move you have to accept certain realities that come with a place that is not recognised internationally. This is not new information! What I would say is that Blades list would apply to many places outside the EU and across the globe and some even within EU states.

cyprusdave

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 36 in Discussion

STAY SOUTH THE NORTH IS FULL OF SHISTERS

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 36 in Discussion

blade 11

thats fair enough ,so apart from that your happy lol

some are what we all consider basic human rights .And i would agree being treated as a second class citizen (especially the warn welcome TC receive in uk ,and all its free health care ) isnt on .

The government in trog town should wise up a bit .

On a reverse side what do you like ....now this will cheer you up

Kav

stelee77

Message Posted:
02/08/2011 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 36 in Discussion

I still cant see any problem.

I dont need to work,i may one day start a business for boredoms sake.

Im tax free on my foreign source income.

I dont have a uk bank account or want one.

I would not have pets unless i was 100% sure i would be there for there lives,no need to move them on.

I dont want to be a citizen.

If i had a nc bank account i would think its fair to pay tax on my interest,if thats what you ment.

Plenty of flights from larnaca,no problerm at all.

I eat a kebab at least a couple of times a month,i know its chopped up cats and dogs,and i really dont care,it tastes lovely.

Road conditions are the least of my worries,i hit bad roads in the uk all the time.

A power cut now and again,not good but a small price to pay for the lifestyle and panaramic views.

As for animal wellfare the south is the same.

I would have no reason to take my car of the island.

I think your clutching at straws here,do you have anything constructive

EricCrapton

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 36 in Discussion

I feel very sorry for the people who have been stitched up and robbed of their savings, i really do (I know i can't appreciate the hurt and resentment not having experienced it myself) but at the same time those people should have been more thorough in their research, like i should have done! I have no one to blame but myself and i dont even do that. I just shrug my shoulders and say shit happens and get on with itI

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 36 in Discussion

I lived in a village outside Paphos for 25 years. When I sold my house in 2005, I moved North - biggest mistake of my life! The lawlessness in TRNC cost me half my life savings and the pre '74 Turkish Title house that I bought [I would never have bought so-called 'exchange'], expecting freehold title on, was refused 'Permission To Purchase' by the TRNC Council of Ministers, and it's pointless to appeal. Their reason for refusal: 'proximity to military area'. No foreigner knew about this in 2005, but the TRNC government had made this unpublicised policy [against their own constitution and violation of Human Rights] in secret, after the 'Annan Plan' fiasco.

My serious advice to you, 'cyprustyke', is STAY PUT - you have NO rights, whatsoever, in TRNC, and quite frankly, anyone now, ignoring the serious warnings, who makes the move from South to North is a naive fool. Believe me, there is no such thing as 'doing your homework' on TRNC - there are too many that did and suffered!

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 36 in Discussion

mess 17 - gets you the "neg nick post of the week"

hard hats on for DC and the "hapy clappy rose tinted gang" to rock up...........

hetty

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 36 in Discussion

The more I am reading the less inclined I am to move over to the TRNC, maybe I should consider the South or even Europe.

blade

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 36 in Discussion

Hetty, are you taking the p-ss? You just posted what a hateful bunch the GC's were on another post.

I think everyone needs to stop dealing with you cos you can't be for real!

Stay in the Uk that would be my advice.

stelee77

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 36 in Discussion

Hetty

Make your own choice there are a lot of pissed off people on here.

The happy ones are to busy living it up to post on a regular basis.

There are problems but its only the people who have lost money,who seem to be against everything trnc.

Funny they could not see that when they first moved there,i think the good advice is to rent for six months on a trial run,thats what i will do.

common sense is all thats needed.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 36 in Discussion

Thanks, NN!

Your posts are generally 'spot-on', too - and, let's face it, after ALL the warnings, if people can't and won't be dissuaded [because 'it can't happen to me!'], they thoroughly deserve to get 'taken to the cleaners'!

I currently have a pleasant enough lifestyle in TRNC, but only because I try to put the negative aspects and especially what happened to us, in terms of financial losses due to the utterly flawed 'legal system', to the back of my mind.

stelee77

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 36 in Discussion

So would you agree if you rent you can have a good lifestyle in the trnc.

I know for a fact i would not get had over,and to say for that reason i deserve to get stung is out of order.

so pull your tongues out of each others arses and cheer up.

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 36 in Discussion

Every country has it's problems but lets be honest Property and the general cost of living in TRNC is only so cheap because of the problems it faces. If it was all sorted like any other European country it would be more expensive to live and would still have problems just a different set.

I agree with message 21, in most places it's only the complainers who tend to spend s much time on forums being grumpy. Those that are happy and enjoying life are doing exactly that so will only be on the board with good reason.

Not trying to offend anyone it just seems sad that so many people feel the need to complain about just about everything.

Visitor

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 36 in Discussion

I agree with the sentiments expressed by Msg 24.

Lots of grumpy old men on this forum who are bitter abt anything and everything.

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 36 in Discussion

i'm not bitter - twisted, maybe but not bitter..............

martinD41

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 36 in Discussion

msg16..Eric..."Shit happens and I get on with it".. How very droll,,,But your not being allowed into the south from the North was hardly financial ruination as in some cases where people who did their research, but where blatantly lied to....

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 13:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 36 in Discussion

mess 27 - well said.................

blade

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 36 in Discussion

Most people are online during the mid day sun hours, cos if you think you can be outside in 40 degree heat you must be pretty stupid. Or be looking for a hospital visit? Remembering you have to pay for medical care here.

I have never been robbed or lost any money here in the TRNC at all, or anywhere else for that matter. I have a nice life in comparison to most people.

You asked for people to tell you how it is here, but if you don't want to listen we can't help you any more. There is no point, come here get screwed thats your choice. A year down the line you will be at the bar crying into your beer and those of us that posted here will say 'we told you so'.

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 36 in Discussion

People have been posting since 10.00am this morning hardly midday blade

From post 11 you don't sound happy in your life!

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 36 in Discussion

mess 30 - happy ? can't smile wide enough (since leaving the good old kfc...)

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 36 in Discussion

having 2 girl frieds half your age helps too ;0)....

mistymoppet

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 36 in Discussion

Expat cliche to say the least nick

stelee77

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 36 in Discussion

negativenick

where do you live now,and how is it better.

stelee77

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 36 in Discussion

negative nick

can i speak with you by e mail about the trnc.

blade

Message Posted:
03/08/2011 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 36 in Discussion

Well some of us start work at 5am and don't finish until past midnight. Thats 7 days a week.

We also spend time working in between posting, as i am ,currently tracking a flight from the UK and collecting two dogs from the airport, and dealing with non payers of service charges / accounts / solicitors.

Sorry if you thought we all spent our days at the beach. I am not retired or dead quite yet.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.