North Cyprus Tourist Board - Electrical Goods
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Electrical Goods

Electrical Goods

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Electricity in North Cyprus and KIBTEK Related Threads posted so far

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 12:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

We are thinking of brining a microwave, toaster, kettle and iron over with us next week as it seems things like this seem quite expensive - am I right in thinking that or can we purchase a microwave for around £50 or less? If not then looks like I need to take a trip to Tescos!!

Dusterbruce

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 13:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

You can get a microwave for about C£25 in Greek Nicosia. Theres a great Turkish shop quite close to the border where you can even pay in YTL, and if you say you are in Kyrenia they will knock a bit of discount off!

I think a microwave in Kyrenia is quite expensive

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks Dusterbruce. I think I will probably go and buy one from Tescos to make life a bit easier and so we dont end up spending the whole holiday dragging our kids around various stores, but thank you anyway.

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Hi boredhousewife

Yes you are right the smaller electrical items are more expensive over there. We worked on the basis that if we could fit it into a suitcase then we'd take it with us. We only bought the large electrical items over there.

Make sure you take over any electric lights ie. table/standard lamps, ceiling lights etc etc as they are really expensive over there.

Karen

jmg171

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

How on earth do you manage a microwave in your suitcase!!?

ukturk

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

hi boredhousewife

your best bet is to bring the toaster-kettle and iron from the u.k and it wont be that heavy you can put it in your suitcase but if you go and buy a microwave you will prob pay excess baggage fee (microwave alone weighs anything from 10kg to 15kg) and plus very bulky (remember it is 4pound each kg over your 20kg limit) so you could pay the cost of the mıcrowave in excess fees

to get the best deals go down to lefkosa you will pick up a microwave quite cheap or if you have not got the time go in to girine centre and have a look in arçelik or stores like that or if you do go over to the greek side check out carrefour located on 1st of april street in paralimni just past the famagusta (also check here seems to be a bit cheaper than girine) border crossing they got cheap electrical goods in there

good luck

Littlenige

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

becco here are very good.

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks everyone. There are four of us travelling - two small children so all our clothes we are putting in hand luggage allowance and using full capacity of 20kg per person. We have so far filled one case to allowance, second and third case half full so really have maybe 30 to 40kg to go and I checked out microwave in Tescos weighing 11kg so thought why not add kettle, toaster and iron to make up another 20kg! I need to phone Monarch first though to see if we can just take the microwave in the box ! No it wont fit in suitcase!!!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 15:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

hi bhw

you can just put the microwave in a box not in its origanal box (cos customs might charge you tax cos it is new) and you can put this box thru as if it was a suitcase but make sure you pack it out so it dont get broken and make sure you write 'fragile' all over it because the baggage handlers at ercan have not got a clue they chuck things everywhere and dont care!!!

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

Ukturk

I thought the baggage allowance was 25kg hold luggage and 5kg hand luggage? We are normally well over and have never had any problems.

In the past we've brought out a surround sound system complete with sub woofer, dvd player, video player, food processor all without any problems. We've packed rugs into black sacks and put them through as large items and have never paid a penny extra. Check in just ask what's in the sack and we say rugs or bedding or whatever and they just shrug their shoulders and let it go.

I agree to pack anything fragile carefully we normally use bubble wrap as we've had a few glass items broken.

We've always travelled through Heathrow so not sure if that makes a difference to what they allow through.

Karen

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

Hand luggage we can take 10kg and hold luggage 20kg. We are flying into Larnaca and being picked up.

ukturk

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

hi ok

the weight allowance has just recently been droped to 20kg with 5kg hand luggage (but some airlines have different alowances some even droped down to 15kg low cost ailines)

i agree with you about sometimes not paying a penny when i fly with kthy from turkey to the u.k and cyprus im always over but thats because all cypriots fly with them and they know they are always going to be over l.o.l plus it is the luck of the draw as long as one suitcase does not exceed 32kg that is the law

and also you have to be carefull about customs cyprus end not u.k end because if they do check your baggage or they see new electrical boxes with new goods in it they will tax you (depends on the customs officer what mood he/she is in) thats why i say if you got new goods on your person dont have it in the origanal box then you can argue the point that it is not brand new

(you dont get taxed on second hand goods)

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Oh Ok thanks for that about being taxed. Will have to find another box to put it in - might throw a bit of food in there too to look like its been used!!!! only joking. Just out of interest how much tax do they charge if they do stop you?

ukturk

Message Posted:
09/10/2007 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

hi there bhw

not exactly sure on the band roll taxes they differ with different items, like i said thou if you dont have them in their origanal boxes you will be ok

i also noticed you are flying in to the greek side so you should be fine cos they are in the e.u no restrictions this leads on to my other bit of advice

you have to defo show that these products are not new because when you are crossing over the border if they do decide to search your car you are only allowed 50euros of items per person that has been bought on the south side

but you will be fine you tell them the truth that you brought them over from your house in the u.k and they are used

not trying to scare you but make you aware

loads of posters will say including myself have bought loads of stuff over to cyprus from the u.k and not got stopped

but i know a few who have got stopped also i have it good word that the second hand items trick works all the time

Dancer

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Hi dusterbruce

If we go over to the greek side of Nicosia at the Ledra Palace border, can you recommend any cheap electrical shops where we can purchase a microwave and bring back of the border? When we were in Kyrenia in September, microwaves were very dear, can't remember exact price but I thought very expensive.

Thanks

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 00:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Hey thought you might want to have a laugh! We bought a microwave, kettle, toaster, iron plus a few other pieces from Tescos and it came to less than £50!!!!! How's that for a bargain! Just hope it all works when we arrive!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all your advice. We plan on wrapping the microwave in christmas paper to avoid any tax issues!!! Put knives in our suitcases and garlic crusher(not that you could do any damage with a garlic crusher), pastry brushes (god knows why my hubby bought pastry brushes as I certainly dont intend on making any pies when I am on holiday!), few wooden spoons plus iron, kettle and toaster!!!!!!!!!! oh and potato peeler! To be honest I dont intend on doing any cooking whatsoever so all of this equipment is pretty pointless!!!!!!!!

Thanks again - really appreciate it!

X

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 01:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

wow

what a bargain they almost gave it away

dont worry you will be fine

but before you go make sure you bake some pies and peel some potatos and make some toast to prove they are second hand L.O.L (only joking)

no probs on the info hope you have a good time when you go

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks UKturk!

michelleSteve

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

I was told the limit for goods bought in the South and taken over the border is 135.00 per person (not sure if euros or £) but you cannot combine amounts if there are 2 of you. You must show seperate receipts?

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

hi michelle

it seems im answering your questions on every subject (sorry) l.o.l

the limit is actually 50euros per person but to tell you the truth we went over to carefour in paralimni to buy a playstation 3 (because much cheaper on the greek side) and also bought load of food stuff the customs took one look in the back of the car and said nothing but to tell you the truth i was talking turkish to him (maybe this helped)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.