North Cyprus Tourist Board - apartment 2 no 4
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > apartment 2 no 4

apartment 2 no 4

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

purchased apartment in alsancak with unwin and kofali construction any one else bought apartments lovely finish but having alot of problems getting electricity connected and not getting alot ov feedback from builder or estate agent always 2 to 3 wks just want to get moved in plus elecy was in contract but wanted extra two grand is this the norm could someone help eloborate thanks kcboro

davidoff

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 15:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

Hi kc,

what does your contract say and your solicitor??

Also you should have had them install all the water, sewage and electric points and connection etc???

But then just like anywhere else in the world you will have to pay a fee for i.e the electric company, water company etc to come and switch and connect it all up to the main supplies for you??

But not sure how much this should cost but 2k sounds FAR TOO MUCH MONEY!!!!

Take care-D

Marvo

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Hi there,

Apparently in some contracts the builder does not know where he can get the mains electrical connection for his development until he is about to connect. Therefor he cannot accurately cost the connected supply into his sale price at the time of selling.

I was advised of this by my builder at the signing of the contract stage but there was a ceiling put on the cost. In my case the total cost of the connection would be shared between the 12 properties with a maximum of 2 grand for each property.

When you think of it it seams reasonable enough.

I hope this helps but maybe some of the older hands on this forum will have a better idea of what is a fair price.

Regards Marvo

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

hi there kcboro and welcome to the forum

it is standard that when you buy a property you have to register the electric water and with the local council, to register the electric and water is quite simple but time consuming and can be quite hard if you dont know turkish or dont know anybody thats why your agent should offer this service to you

A word of advice no way on gods green earth you should pay 2k for this service at the very most it will cost between 300-500 pounds

p.s you see that is the problem with unwin thats how they got a bit of a bad name because they are quick to sell you the house but after they are no where to be seen (anyone can sell you a house but it is the after sales service which counts)

p.p.s you tell them when you speak to them you would have thought with all the bad publicity they have recieved especially from the homebuyers pressaure group you would have thought they would be trying to change their image

good luck

stevie-d

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 15:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

I`ve been wating just over 2 years for electricity, my contact said builder to supply. Had to pay electical contactor £2600 to get electicity suppled just waiting to be conectted.

stevie-d

Marvo

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

Hi ukturk,

I've bought through Unwins, and the after sales service has been excelent so far. Plenty of pictures on a regulal basis and if I have language problems with the builder they get one of their Turkish speahing staff to sort it out, no problems.

Thanks for the info on the cost for electricity connection by the way. I was under the impression that the cost was to take into account the distance from the property to the designated connection point, which may be miles away.

Regards Marvo

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 16:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

hi marvo

there must be loads of people who have been happy with their service and im not saying they are a bad agent but they have recently got a bit of a bad name just ask the people who have brought from them in arapkoy

the problem is thou mud sticks and you only mostly hear the bad and horror stories of agents

like what i said to pay 2k is too much to pay just think in your case you have 12 properties on your site all paying 2k that is a total 24k (silly money)

in most cases a reputable builder will draw the cables from the sub power station to the complex then all you pay for is the connection from the complex electric box to your properties and the admin fee for the electric board

p.s even if the sub power station is miles away all it takes is for cables to be sent from the box to the complex - a digger for the road works - cables and labour dont you think 24k is too much money in my eyes they are trying to earn extra money even after you have bought all these second rate builders think us customers have a bottomless pockets or have got money trees in our back gardens

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

hi everyone thanks for your replys in contract it said electricity supplied i was under impression £ 150 for meters thats what unwins said i would pay when i was out there said they had made mistake with contract and were asking all apartment buyers to pay 2 grand the cost of a transformer and new regulations with elecy company had changed ive paid 2 grand out of final payment solicitor said i was right but if wanted connection should pay as would take 2 yrs to win case and apartment no elecy in a no win situation i just want my elecy and water on to move into it and get it furnished had good reports on kofali from local friends,apartments excellent just this buisness with elecy getting me down a bit

Marvo

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

Yes ukturk, I know, I was a bit green at the time I signed the contract and hadn't heard of this forum.

I intend to ask the builder for receipts so he can justify the cost, but I'm sure he's thought of that one allready.

Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it, you know, just like England winning.

Regards Marvo

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 16:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

no probs kcboro

so basically you have been hold to ransom and also a contract is a contract if that is what is written and for them to say they made a mistake is not your problem they made the mistake they have to rectify it not your problem

for example if you had made a mistake in signing a contract that later you read and you did not agree to what would you think their answer would be!!!!!

Also a quick question who reconmended the solicitor to you was it the agent by any chance?

at the end of the day if you have paid it just put it down to a costly lesson (some people loose all their money as an expensive lesson) and you know for next time thats what these forums are here for so you can be made aware of these things before you buy

good luck and if you need any more help dont hesitate in posting it there are a lot of people on this forum that know a lot of information and know what they are taliıng about

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

thanks alot uturk i didnt want to pay but our lass is in love with the place and went ahead and paid we both realise now but unwins after service has been total shit dont reply to e-mails and phone calls as you are right again solicitor was recomended by unwins he put it down as a minor problem i dont find 2grand a minor problem i find it a serious hole in my pocket as its 2grand i could ov spent furnishing it anyway thanks for all your help and ill let you all know my progress cheers kc

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

marvo

when you do ask you builder for some sort of proof ask him you want a 'fatura' (see the look on his face when you say that)

which is a legal and taxable invoice you dont want a 'fişi' basically a blank piece of paper which anyone can write if he answers you with what you paid was a cash price so he cant provide you with a fatura this is bulls..t because there is no cash price with the electricity board if he provides you with one then he did not rip you off

try it see what happens

Measles

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

KCBORO

Can I guess that the lawyer recomended by the Unwins were G & G in Girne ?

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

marvo i got all the calls and pictures and thought good service but now with the electricity thing no help whatsoever neither from builder or unwins or solicitor so just be careful its easy done i trusted them and feel they have broken that trust dissappointed to be honest had more help from locals than i have with my own countrymen

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

no probs kc

The first rule in buying a property in north cyprus never ever ever hire a solicitor that your agent has reconmended you because all of them are either in the agents pockets or they are best of friends and they will back the bullsh.t of a agent over you all the time even thou you are paying them

like i said to marvo (both of you have bought thru unwin see the link here)

ask the builder or agent for a 'fatura' on the work that has been carried out again if they say it was a cash price and if they have to provide you with a fatura you have to pay the tax on top say ok (look for their reaction) and see what they say

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

marvo i got all the calls and pictures and thought good service but now with the electricity thing no help whatsoever neither from builder or unwins or solicitor so just be careful its easy done i trusted them and feel they have broken that trust dissappointed to be honest had more help from locals than i have with my own countrymen

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

measles the solicitor is mehmet ali altunc

Measles

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

never heard of them, where are they based ?

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

sorry munir akril in girne

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

sorry munir akril in girne the guy we saw was mehmet akif

Marvo

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Hi kcboro,

Yes Munir Akil, same as myself. haven't had much dealing with him so far, a bit slow and hesitant to answer emails.

I found one of the local admin girls at Unwins put a rocket up once and he answered straight away.

Maybe he's doing a lot that is not visible to me but will find out soon enough, due to get the keys and move in at the end of November, I'll let you know how it goes.

ukturk, thanks for the help here, your a gem.

regards Marvo

Measles

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

why not contact the Property Complaints Office - see http://www.homebuyerspressuregroup.com website for a link- register a complaint - see what happens - it does not cost anything only a stamp or email.

regards

I

DONTY

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

ukturk, kcboro

getting the electric connected to the site and providing a transformer can cost a bomb. i heard of 1 development of 7 villas that had to pay over 6k each to get this done!

on top of this is the hook up from kibtec (the meters) which, i presume, is what you are talking about ukturk.

kcboro read the contract carefully to check the wording re electric.

imo a decent developer should either build in this cost or set a maximum fee.

as annoying and upsetting as it is to be hit with a hidden fee you should understand that the builder is more than likely not just profiteering rather they have been caught out or didnt allow for this cost (though some builders leave the electric costs out as the norm)....ah you say...thats not cricket...we dont do that where i come from etc.....remember this is a little island that is not on a par with the UK when it comes to organisational skills, management and legal system. i do not condone this, on the contrary but i am beginning to understand the way the people of this part of the world operate and have adjusted the way i think/deal to allow for it.

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 20:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

you make a fair point donty i was told i would just pay for the meter,ok they havent costed for the transformer etc have paid the 2grand anyway all ive wanted out of either party is some customer service and some explanation of the costing had they explained in detail and just been upfront about everything i would feel as though they are playing hide and seek with me. its hard enough dealing with it while in uk but even when we came over everyone just seem to pass the buck straightfoward answers would have been enough

kcboro

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

in contract exact wording;electrical installations will be done according to the approved electricity project in compliance with the cyprus turkish electrcal engineers associations standards.;air con water heater etc

DONTY

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

bit vague that wording isnt it.

it might have been worth haggling to get it down but i wouldnt have refused to pay completely as you would end up with a big stink and probably still end up paying. i would have tried dangling a carrot in front of the builder by saying i will actively promote him to all i come across if he looks after me. its worth a go!

hmm..... should one go thru the agent or go direct to the builder? i would try to do it myself or thru the lawyer as they are employed by the buyer not the builder.

i hope everything else goes smoothly for you.

ukturk

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

hi there guys

i have read your recent posts donty you also make a fair point but belive you me and this is coming from a cypriot turk all builders know exactly how much it will cost to rig up the electric before they develop (the pro developers do anyway) and all good developers add this costing in to the sale of the house

(i know this because all my family have developed and sold houses in famagusta) you do have to pay thou to be finally connected to electric and water admin/labour charges and even buy the su saat (water meter) electric saat and even sometimes the sigorta kutu (fuse box)

this is what makes me ashamed sometimes to be called a turk because all these tom-dick and harrys are developing homes and sorry to say this seeing all the brits coming over and them thinking lets take as much as we can off them i.e HIDDEN CHARGES and of course the brits dont know and some of them foolishly trust everything the agent and agent approved solicitor and get ripped off or pay more than lets say a local

im only speaking of a minority of agents/builders/solicitor but lets not make this a majority

p.s this is one of the main reasons i joined these forums me being a turk cypriot and raised in the u.k i know exactly how the turk cypriot thinks and what the brit expects to make people aware and to pass on my info whoever need my help (im not saying im a know it all i just know a bit but a bit is better than nothing)

sorry i have gone on too much!!!!!

DONTY

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 01:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

as i said ukturk a good builder will allow a decent amount for electric in the cost and there are a few who havent allowed enough money and a few who leave it as a hidden extra so they can advertise a lower price.

i have lived in n.cyp for 5 years and am in the business ukturk (and have sold hundreds and hundreds of properties) and i know that the goalposts keep moving for builders, including the costs for electric. just getting kibtek to a site is an undertaking in itself and i know of developers who have resorted to more expensive outside contractors just to get the job done in a reasonable time. so it really isnt as cut and dried as you say.

i only started replying to these forums to correct some of the misinformation i see posted and to give current, local advice re where to go and what to do.

p.s. the Neo Bar in Girne is reopening this saturday and it should be a great bash if any of you like dancing the night away to funky music! oh and it rained east of town for a short while today!!!

davidoff

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

Hi all,

YOUR RIGHT- HIDDEN COSTS KEEP POPPING UP!!!

Thats why Before you buy you need to get confirmation in writing from agents/developers that need to be considered and WHAT IS INCLUDED IN THE SALES PRICE ORIGINALLY!

ALSO get the same from the solicitor before you sign contracts also- then you can compare notes and querie anything your unsure of!

We have been told that our mains connection for water and electric will come from tatlisu village and that the main connections will be in place on site!

But on completion next year they are aiming to get the water and electric companies on site for one day to connect all the properties in one fail SWOOP HOPEFULLY!!

Same with the cable/satellite tv!

We will need to pay the individual insatllation charges i.e connection, metre. board etc- which weve been told should be a few hundred pounds!!

But like youve said you never can tell!

But Im pretty sure that water and electric connections (utilities) has been capped in our contract to a maximum of £1300- anything above is paid by the developers own pockets!

Although they have anticipated that it shouldnt cost even half of the ammount they put on as a capped price!

See ya D

P.S- EVERYONES comments and contribution on these forums are HIGHLY APPRECIATED- And I dont know where wed be without you guys n gals!!

WE ALL HELP EACHOTHER!! AND THATS HOW IT SHOULD BE!!

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 12:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

hı there

donty thanks for your input and congrats for selling hundreds and hundreds you must be one of the largest agents in cyprus, well i was talking to my uncle last night about this subject who owns the largest construction company in North Cyprus you might have heard of them with you being in the business 'Emek Construction co ltd' (built ercan airport-all government buildings-building the new buisness arcade in bogaz and built hundreds of homes) he told me this electric situation should be undertaken and priced by the developer and if not should be capped and written in to the contract but most builders and agents dont want to include this in to the contract to cover their own back exactly what kc said (unwins making a mistake on the contract concerning the electric) and really it is cut and dry for the customer because this should not really concern them only the builder unless this is written in to the contract which should be done by people like yourself the agent only the final connection should really involve the buyer

im so glad that foreigners such as yourself who have been living and working in n cyprus for a short while have joined this forum to give people correct info while not trying to advertise their buisness!!!!

keep on posting mate

p.s thats good news that neo is reopening nice place like to go their before going on to the rocks cant make this sat because in turkey on buisness but should be back in couple of weeks maybe we can have a drink donty and talk shop l.o.l

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 12:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

hi davidoff

you have hit the nail on the head mate and im so glad you brought of a reputable builder and have made you aware what you will or wont have to pay

by your agent, like i said you should only be paying a few hundred pounds for connection metre etc etc and if not capped and you being told it wont cost half of the capped figure if you have to pay looks like you have stiked luckey with your purchase mate hope it goes all well for you

DONTY

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 12:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

no chance of me talking shop out of work.

i know Emek, i sold a number of the Legend villas, my contact there was Mehmet, a very nice chap, a proper gentleman.

dont forget the largest construction company is not necessarily the seller of most houses. the israeli developers are taking a lot of the private buyer sales. one of them i work closely with has sold about 300 units already this year.

see you at Neos soon (im the one dancing around waving my hands in the air...he he)

kcboro

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

hi guys got a email to today saying our electric has been connected it must be magic this site pick the keys up etc im over the moon be cause im coming to live there mechanical engineer by trade id like to thank each and everyone of you for your help and advice great forum.like i say i would recommend kofali as a builder the finnish is excellent standard the only trouble we've had is the lecy problem which seems to have been resolved with a little help from my friends i will be in touch need advice on alot more things thanks ukturk,donty and the rest cheers and thanks us simple need your help and advice

kcboro

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 13:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

hi guys got a email to today saying our electric has been connected it must be magic this site pick the keys up etc im over the moon be cause im coming to live there mechanical engineer by trade id like to thank each and everyone of you for your help and advice great forum.like i say i would recommend kofali as a builder the finnish is excellent standard the only trouble we've had is the lecy problem which seems to have been resolved with a little help from my friends i will be in touch need advice on alot more things thanks ukturk,donty and the rest cheers and thanks us simple need your help and advice

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 13:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

yeah true well we can chat about other things l.ol

i know and love them legend villas what ones did you sell from the old plot or the new plot in development right in catalkoy

i know the largest construction company does not mean the most seller of houses but it does mean thou the most experianced

i know what you mean about the israeli's they are slowly taking over not with their developing but defo with their investment and money my uncle deals a lot with them

yeah i will look out for you make sure you wave them from side to side so i will notice you!!!! l.o.l

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

kc

no probs mate im glad i could help im so glad for you i hope you enjoy your new home and if you do need any more help or extra info ill be glad to help you and point you in the right direction

yours ukturk

DONTY

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

the old site

i have to disagree, largest may have good experience but it doesnt mean the best quality (though Emek are pretty good). the best build quality i have seen is actually a turkish building contractor who operated in israel for a number of years where the expected quality is much higher than here.

you know how it is. the general ethos is bodge it and scarper, not lets do the best we can. i really notice a lack of pride in what some people create and its down to lack of decent management, training and deeprooted laissez fair. this also goes for timekeeping and promises. if you talk to any brit who lives here they will tell you how someone promises to come and do a job on a certain day and they turn up 3 weeks later and the price has doubled... its the cyprus way.

im the one who dances like i am trying to guide an aeroplane into its slot (but without the ping pong bats).

kcboro

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

hi ukturk need help on the furniture front and white goods for our lass looked in girne etc and found it pricey homebase did a half decent package being a brit i like a bargain myself not tourist millionaire brit if you know what i mean any help lol

ukturk

Message Posted:
12/10/2007 02:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

kcboro

sorry with late response just noticed it

you are right girine can be quite expensive your best bet mate is to go down to lefkosa many stores down their and reasonably pricedlike electrical shops like arcelik and gunbey home store tel 2239173 in ortakoy lefkosa

m toros tel 0392 815 1953, 1955 in girine centre

i will post again tomorrow getting late need to goto bed if you dont mind

kcboro

Message Posted:
12/10/2007 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

yeah thanks ukturk any advice on a numberof issues would be welcome just post cheers mate

michelleSteve

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

Hi, in our contrct, it stated that the charge for electricity to our villa would be no more that £1,000 with the builder paying anything over this amount. When we visited last week, all the owners had a meeting with the builder re the electric & discovered that some had this in their contract & some didn't! It has now been said that the cost for overhead electricity will be split between all villa owners at a cost of £125,00 per villa and then there will be a £650 charge per villa for the meters and connection. We pointed out what was written in our contract to the builder but he just waved his hands & said it has now changed. Also, when he took us to have our water connected, we were charged over 800 ytl. When we showed the receipt to a local who speaks English, he said 500 ytl was for repairs to the road (from the builder ripping it up to build the villas) and this charge was illegal. We compared it with our neighbours & he was also charged this amount. Is this right?!

Many thanks,

Michelle.

michelleSteve

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

oops, sorry should read £1,250.00

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

hi michellesteve

if this charge has been quoted in your contract i.e 1000pounds and should not exceed this and both you and your builder have signed it then you should not pay any thing over if i was you get in contact with your lawyer straight away

also with the water like i said before between 300-500ytl covers the water

so you getting charged for road works is wrong (whats it got to do with you that the builder ripped up the road)

if the builder had to take a sh.t in the road and got charged for this would you have to pay for ıt!!!!!!

like i said contact your lawyer and agent i hope the lawyer was not reconmended by your agent or the builder if so then you might aswell forget it because they are in each others pockets!!!!!

good luck

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.