North Cyprus Tourist Board - exchange rate
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > exchange rate

exchange rate

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

cressy

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 17:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Hello everyone.Have just changed 32.35gbp into lira,rate was 2.164, so got 70lira(only changed a small amount to see us through till we get there).where would be the best place to change more when we get there?

cress

stevie-d

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Cressy,

I always use the bank far better exchange rate than anywhere else I always go to HSBC because that`s where the "BOSS"has stashed the cash.

stevie-d

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 20:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Any of the exchange places in Girne most give a good rate and that saves having to queue in a bank which can and does take ages

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

hi there cressy

sorry its me again

lovingcyprus is right most places give a decent rate but i have to agree with stevie i use hsbc the reason being i have 3 accounts 1 sterling-1 euro and 1 lira(standard when you open a account) and when i change money thru my sterling account to my lira account i get a even better rate

what you do is go down to the bank with your pounds then deposit it your sterling account then ask to change it in to lira then withdraw it out of your lira account. sounds long winded but very easy

even if you dont open a account this time round (you will have to if you intend to do them fone account) the banks still give a bit better rate

but it is true what lovingcyprus says banks have the worst queues in cyprus word of advice on that never go to the bank on the 1st and last day of the month, on a monday morning and a friday afternoon and you should be fine L.O.L

cressy

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Hello.Dont be sorry ukturk,i am always glad to hear from you.I am thinking about opening a bank account while i am there,probably with hsbc as i have an account with them here in the uk.Do i just need my passport?,and can i open an account even if i dont live there,will my uk address be ok?

Thanks,Cress.

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

hı cress

since i last opened an account in cyprus and turkey all you need is your passport yes you can use your own address in the u.k make sure you take a bill with proof of address

michelleSteve

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 16:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

That was a bad exchange rate? I changed money on the 12th & got 2.38.

Also, the HSBC in Girne is not the HSBC here. It is a franchise and does not have an affiliate with the English bank.

ukturk

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

hi michellesteve

all hsbc's in turkey and north cyprus are indepently owned but are affiliated with its english counterpart because hsbc which is actually a hong kong and singapore bank bought out demirbank in turkey 2002 to acheive this (i opened my turkish and cypriot account thru my local branch in london)

that why its cheaper to send money from the u.k to turkey or cyprus using both hsbc accounts and you can access all your accounts via internet banking

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

HSBC branches wherever they are in the world are all part of the HSBC group, they are not independent of one another and they are not franchises.

millzer

Message Posted:
18/10/2007 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Unless it's for very large purchases why not just use your debit card to get cash out of the ATM's!! If you have a Natiowide current (Flex) account there are no charges or commissions, top interbank rate, no queues. Job done.

michelleSteve

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

I have been told by the local manager of my HSBC that they do not have a branch in Nirthern Cyprus?

ukturk

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 19:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

hi michellesteve

sorry to say your local manager has not got a clue!!!!!

just 2 weeks ago i was in the famagusta branch helping some people open a account

they have a branch in famagusta, a branch in lefkosa, and girine (but not been to this branch)

maybe they have not got one in nirthern cyprus but defo in northern cyprus L.O.L (your spelling) so you tell your manager to check his facts!!!! because they can open you a account from your branch or phone hsbc head office in canary wharf london and speak to their international departmnet they will be able to help

sunstroker

Message Posted:
19/10/2007 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

We opened an account 2 weeks ago. My wife has a first direct account (part of HSBC) and we opened an account.

we needed passports and contract details for our place in nc ( as we don't have title deeds yet)

The lady in the bank said it would cost to send money from uk to nc .

Took about 90 mins to set up - make an appointment - is very handy though as you can get sterling or ytl from autobank

cheers

sunstroker

ukturk

Message Posted:
20/10/2007 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

hi there sunstroker

of course you will have pay to send money from your english account to your turkish account but is much more cheaper doing it from one hsbc account to another hsbc account

a word of advice for you set up internet banking on your account in england then when you get over to cyprus go in to the branch and set up internet banking on your accounts there to so when you want to send money from the u.k to cyprus or vicer versa do it via internet banking and is even cheaper!!!!

also millzer when you take out local currancey in cyprus from the cash machine using your nationwide account card you dont get a good rate compared to you changing sterling into lira through a bank in cyprus belive you me i tried many diffrent ways and the best way is like i said in message 4 or just simpley go in the bank to change the money

i would never change my money in the u.k you will always get a better rate in cyprus unless you need a bit of turkish money then change a little bit

hope this helps

dodger

Message Posted:
02/01/2008 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

stop him posting izzet.

simbas

Message Posted:
03/01/2008 02:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

george you are not wanted on this forum , please take the hint and disappear

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.