North Cyprus Tourist Board - Question about border crossing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Question about border crossing

Question about border crossing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

InspironDream

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 40 in Discussion

Hi ppl,

I have a question regarding military service. I'm British, however my grandparents on my mothers side only were born in Cyprus. I've sorted out my stay and everytime I enter/leave N.Cyprus there's a note which they read at the airport which sais "this person is not a n.cypriot citizen, isn't permitted to do military service." I'm allowed to stay for 90 days.

I've recently been visiting S.Cyprus and I realized that they issue me 90 days each time I enter/leave back to N.Cyprus. Are they giving me 90 days each I enter the KKTC or 90days per year? I'm not sure how this thing is working.

Many Thanks.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 15:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 40 in Discussion

90 days each entry is the usual.

InspironDream

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 40 in Discussion

Thanks for the reply pugwash! appreciated.

mimijones

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 40 in Discussion

pls how do i get to the south side. american embassy? i have an appointment there on 17th june i am nigerian in famagusta , what are the requirements

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 40 in Discussion

re msg 1

It ISN'T a border - it's a UN designated crossing point ... ;)

I know... it's boring to correct all the time.. but that's how the 'real world' call it ...

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 40 in Discussion

re msg 4

Unless you entered Cyrus via a 'recognised port of entry' - i.e. via the 'south' and have a current RoC visa I'm afraid you can't cross :(

InspironDream

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 40 in Discussion

sorry, I meant the UN DESIGNATED CROSSING POINT

Pugwash

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 40 in Discussion

No mmmmmm in the real world we call it a border as de-facto that is what it is.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 40 in Discussion

Pugwash

I live in a de jure world.... ;)

Pugwash

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 16:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 40 in Discussion

Good for you mmmmmm, pretty well everyone else lives in a de-facto world and just gets on with it.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 17:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 40 in Discussion

Actually, Pugwash... pretty well 'everyone else' is the members of the UN who respect the security council resolutions...

Pugwash

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 40 in Discussion

Yeah just like Israel and others. You and Ban can live in your rose tinted bungalow together "Chez de jure"

negativenick

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 17:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 40 in Discussion

mess 12 - Hogwash - Hotel manger ??

must be on its knees - you're on cy44 all the time.............

Pugwash

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 17:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 40 in Discussion

What is a manger NN ? is it like a Monger?

pc4854

Message Posted:
10/08/2011 18:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 40 in Discussion

In all the years I have been on this earth and it is a considerable number, the only place that I have ever had to show my passport is at a border. It might be a UN crossing point to you 6xm but in the times I have crossed it I have only shown my passport to a GC or a TC Border Policeman. Surely if it is a UN crossing point it should only be a UN representative. If in doubt best to keep head in the clouds.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 00:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 40 in Discussion

re msg 15

pc4854

You've clearly never lived.... ;)

You have to show passports to open bank accounts, to pay by credit card in many Spanish shops, to get CRB checks... and I don't think they are at 'borders' either... !

It IS a UN designated crossing point.. to 'argue it isn't is plain silly ..calling it a 'border' is a political expression for supporting a TC nation...

You show id to a CYPRIOT policeman - in the case of entering the 'rump' RoC via the UK's SBA or 'direct' into the areas where the recognised govt can exercise effective control - it is merely the first point where implementation of EU immigration / customs can take place.. it is NOT a border to the UK / EU /UN..

>> Surely if it is a UN crossing point it should only be a UN representative<<

Why ? They simply got agreement between Turkey and the RoC where the cease-fire was and where folks could cross

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 01:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 40 in Discussion

BE WARNED,

THE NUMBER OF DAYS SHOULD BE PER YEAR NOT PER VISIT AND IF YOU OVERSTAY YOU WILL HAVE DO EITHER FULL OR PAID MILITARY. BE WARNED AS YOU WONT BE ABLE TO LEAVE EITHER.

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 01:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 40 in Discussion

I can confirm that Cyprus does have borders,

As there is barb wire in the middle with mine and there are flags each end of each side.

There is a real border that can be confirmed for sure, but as the North is not recognised the international community call it a line but in anyones real nacked eye it can be agreed that there is an border

http://www.uwec.edu/Geography/Ivogeler/Travel/International-fortified-%20borders/IKV%20Cyprus%20border/target4.html

http://www.uwec.edu/Geography/Ivogeler/Travel/International-fortified-%20borders/IKV%20Cyprus%20border/target5.html

http://www.uwec.edu/Geography/Ivogeler/Travel/International-fortified-%20borders/IKV%20Cyprus%20border/target8.html

pc4854

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 09:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 40 in Discussion

6m's re message 16. I do have a life thank you, a very nice life even away from this forum. When I opened my various bank accounts I certainly did not have to show a passport, things like that were not necessary in those days. I do not use a credit card in shops in Spain or anywhere else, I use a debit card and have never, ever been asked for proof of identity. Herewith a dictionary definition of the word BORDER, as you will be able to see, even the area between England and Scotland is defined as a border. Cyprus has a border between the two communities.

border  

noun

1. the part or edge of a surface or area that forms its outer boundary.

2. the line that separates one country, state, or province

3. the district or region that lies along the boundary line of another.

4. the border,

a. the border between the U.S. and Mexico, especially along the Rio Grande.

b. (in the British Isles) the region along the boundary between England and Scotland

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 40 in Discussion

pc4854

You simply wasted your energy typing .. there is no 'border' in that the UN only recognise one nation in Cyprus.. SIMPLE..

pc4854

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 10:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 40 in Discussion

6m's. It is impossible to express a view to someone wjho has already decided that they do not wish to understand the other persons view point. To argue with you would seem to be a pointless task. If as you say the local population here are "Cypriots", why is it that the Turkish flag and the Greek Flag are so prominent on either side of the BORDER. Does this not suggest that there are two separate communities, in which case they can not both be "Cypriots" in the sense that you suggested. The term "Cypriot" should mean that all are equal within their country and clearly this is not the case and has not been the case since 1960.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 40 in Discussion

pc4854

I think that 6xM does understand your viewpoint. He is merely pointing out that technically it cannot be classed as a 'border' as the island is only recognised as being a single country by the international community. Turkey and the TRNC might consider it a 'border' but in the eyes of the UN, it is a crossing point. Simples

Regards

Paul

philbailey

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 40 in Discussion

Msg 22, spot on

waddo

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 40 in Discussion

Hi 6m,

"You simply wasted your energy typing .. there is no 'border' in that the UN only recognise one nation in Cyprus.. SIMPLE.. "

Point taken that the UN only recognise one nation in Cyprus - so why have a crossing point? Where are you crossing from to?

If the UN do not recognise two nations then to come from one side of the Island to the other is not possible - after all, how can you move from nowhere to somewhere?

Of course if there are two nations then you would need a border to seperate them - that would make sense!

I seems to be just a simple UN engineered seperation line which prevents co-operation between two peoples from growing and progressing towards a peaceful and happy life for both.

Guess that makes the UN the real reason that there has never been a solution to the problem in this single nation. Not picking on the UN troops, just the leaders, the troops are happy to have their postings extended to July next year - wonder why???

Geejay

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 40 in Discussion

Of course it's a border. Whatever the UN or anyone else pedantically says. Forget the semantics.

If you have to produce your passport to be inspected and stamped for entry and exit.... if you can be searched by customs for contraband, if you can be arrested for illegal entry.... then it's a border.

Simples !

tomsteel

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 18:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 40 in Discussion

Ref msg 24. How many UNFICYP tours have you completed on 'the line'? It's a "sierra hotel one tango" tour of duty away from family and friends for 6+ months, doing nothing constructive and losing skills and drills which have to be re-learnt on return to proper duties. The troops are not happy, but I suspect the UN CIVPERS are over the moon with their luxury hotel accommodation, overseas allowances, generous leave and doing nothing constructive. Do I sound cynical - nah!!

tomsteel

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 40 in Discussion

ps, did anybody manage to answer the original question with factual advice?

philbailey

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 40 in Discussion

I think it will depend if his g/parents were t/c or g/c

not racist but different rules

best bet is contacting the embassies

waddo

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 40 in Discussion

tomsteel, only the one I am sorry to say - Feb 1965 thru to May 1965 then sent to Borneo as they were short of radio staff. Lived in Nicosia with a service family and worked in RAF Nicosia for a short time then on the sad and silly patrols through the city - Rosies Bar was the place to be if you could speak Danish but the place to be even if you could not. Can't remember being paid anything extra or having a fine old time myself and was glad to leave as being a target (not being allowed to return any fire) did not appeal to me even at that young age. The comment about extending the service till July - wonder why should be looked at in a bit more depth - it is not a knock against the UN troops on the ground it is a question about turn around times and why they have suddenly been extended when there is no real need.

pc4854

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 40 in Discussion

Quite right Waddo, I only did the one tour too, Feb 64 til June same year, we arrived as the British Army and became the UN Force. As a military Policeman I was so to speak in the front line when it came to incidents and although my Landrover had no bullet holes in it, certainly my friends did. We were issued with revolvers, the standard weapon for RMP and a case of 12 rounds of .38 ammunition which was sealed. Wow betide the NCO who returned with the seal broken. (Can you imagine coming across an incident and one having to decide if you should break the seal and then have to load the weapon in order to survive) Even then the border existed, as you drove through Nicosia the barricades were either manned by GC or TC Policemen. Like you we were paid only Local Overseas Allowance, just a few pence per day. Best wishes from Mike the Printer

pc4854

Message Posted:
11/08/2011 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 40 in Discussion

Paul Re Message 22. I think where 6 x m's is misunderstanding, is the technicality. The crossing points are probable UN Designated Crossing Points, I have no argument about that BUT that only applies to the crossing points. The rest of it is a border. If not why are the two sides either side of the border not treated with similar respect?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 07:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 40 in Discussion

pc4854

no misunderstanding on MY part... it is a UN designated cease fire line ... anything more is 'creative thinking'.. pending an proper settlement.

teatime

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 40 in Discussion

Think I've heard this argument somewhere before........Oh yes, on here every other week!!!

breezyboy

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 16:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 40 in Discussion

msg 5 Mark- so right - Bloody Boring!!!

Said before the colloquial terminology used by those people who frequent this site is BORDER. Just like the BORDER crossing in the SBA is known as PYLA, because everyone of these people know it as PYLA BORDER crossing.

Most enjoy being different and waiving 2 fingers to all organisations and individuals who do not accept TRNC exists ( like you don't ).

This is a TRNC forum so it will remain BORDER and PYLA.

You and the Bubbles can call it anything you like, but please stop telling us what we have to call it according to the gospel of St MMMMMM.

The opinion of the half wits at the UN who couldn't seriously run a party in a brewery doesn't count like the rest of their unhelpful diatribe When they recognise TRNC then just maybe TRNC will recognise things they have to say.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 17:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 40 in Discussion

Breezyboy -

>>You and the Bubbles can call it anything you like, but please stop telling us what we have to call it according to the gospel of St MMMMMM. <<

Oh Dear,

1/ Bubbles implies Greeks.. you did mean Cypriots, didn't you ? - The 'Gospel' is a result of a vote... if you don't like it.. why don't they have a new one... ? If they do and 'TRNC' is recognised - THEN it will be a border...

2/ The opinion of the half wits at the UN who couldn't seriously run a party in a brewery doesn't count..

Just to remind you.. the UN is represented by the recognised nations on earth.. I suppose the only 'sensible' government representatives are ones from countries that recognise 'TRNC' ? !

This forum is about 'north Cyprus' ... exactly.. it isn't called 'TRNC'

So, why would you ( incorrectly ) say the crossing point is at Pile ( sorry no TR characters) when it's at Beyarmudu .. at Pyla you cross from the 'Rump' RoC zone to the UN buffer zone...

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 40 in Discussion

pc4854

As Mark says, no misunderstanding. The entire Green Line is a UN ceasefire zone, it is not a border for the reasons highlighted in my previous e-mail.

However, if you want to call it a border - feel free

As for the second question, you already know the answer to that one - it's all a question of recognition.

Regards

Paul

Geejay

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 18:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 40 in Discussion

I cannot find any "official" definition of a border on the UN website. However many UN documents where North Cyprus is mentioned refer to border crossings or border posts. Even border guards. For instance a UN News Centre paper says "Next Monday the two sides are expected to continue discussions on the implementation of an earlier agreement on a border crossing."

It's probable that the UN would rely on an encyclopedic definition. Mine says "Borders define geographic boundaries of political entities or legal jurisdictions, such as governments, sovereign states, federated states and other subnational entities"."Other borders are partially or fully controlled, and may be crossed legally only at designated border checkpoints. Some, mostly contentious, borders may even foster the setting up of buffer zones (by the UN)."

I don't believe you have to be recognised as a country by the UN to have borders. After all Kosovo and Taiwan incontrovertibly have borders.

Geejay

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 18:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 40 in Discussion

This is what Wikipedia says. "Northern Cyprus or North Cyprus (Turkish: Kuzey Kıbrıs), officially the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC) (Turkish: Kuzey Kıbrıs Türk Cumhuriyeti (KKTC)),[3] is a de facto independent state[4][5][6] located in the northern portion of the island of Cyprus.

With the self-proclamation of the internationally unrecognized Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus, the Green Line became its de facto southern border."

blade

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 12:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 40 in Discussion

The greenline and its regulations are a real life pain in the butt.

I have been putting a point / question to the powers that be, but funnily they won't reply to any emails i send, that includes both north and south along with the SBA and the EU.

Maybe they have an answer? I am thinking they won't reply because they can explain why my EU dog with passport can't cross.

It can enter any other country in the EU with the same documents, but is refused entry to the Roc via the greenline. So much for EU free movement and the greenline not being an external border.

A bird can fly across, a cat or rat can run across, but as for your dog the answer is currently NO ENTRY.

The mess they call the greenline.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 12:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 40 in Discussion

Blade

I couldn't agree more

Paul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.