North Cyprus Tourist Board - moving to north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > moving to north cyprus

moving to north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

grahamlil

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

We are looking at moving to the Kyrenia / Girne area of North Cyprus, and are looking at another trip over shortly for another look around and to make some decisions.

After reading some of the forums it would seem as with all countries there are unsavoury people waiting in the shadows to fleece you.

2 Questions, Has anyone got any recomendations for reliable quality estate agents and lawyer's and is it really cheaper to fly to Nicosia and hire a car, sorry 3rd question anyone know how far it is from Nicosia airport to Kirenia

Any help would be gratefully recieved

Thank you

stevie-d

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

I would highly recommend Donaghy & Beyler Estate Agents, opposite Astro supermarket in Girne

stevie-d

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 21:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

Yes I would highly recommend Donaghy & Beyler too - we bought from them and they were brilliant. Also there isn't an airport in Nicosia that you can fly to - its either Ercan and you can't fly directly to Ercan without a 45 minute stop off in Turkey or you can fly into Larnaca and drive to the north which takes about an hour or so.

dodger

Message Posted:
10/10/2007 22:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

welcome graham,

nicosia airport is a nno no unfortunateley i would suggest you fly to larnaca and hie a car in the south and cross at the metehan border need to come of the motorway at j2 signposted troodos mountains and kyrennia.1hr tops.

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 01:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

hi there graham and welcome to the forum

stevie and boredhousewife are right donaghy and beyler are a good reliable agent contact a woman their called gonul akmergiz she is the sales manager of one of the branches just say to her that erkan ibrahim (me) from turkey reconmended her to you and she will look after you her number is 0392 815 88 82 or mobile 0533 868 4711

or pelin at remax in kyrenia centre again mention me her number is 0392 8155885/5886

or paul at little villa company 0392 824 4359

hope this all helps

p.s graham stick to this forum because their are a lot of people on this forum who know what they are talking about once you find out who these are

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 01:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

sorry

also i always fly in to ercan (matter of princeaple) but also their is a choice of airlines that fly to ercan which has made the prices a bit more reasonable like

kthy (cyprus turkish airlines) pegasus - onur air - sun express

i think if you calculate time and money i think it is just better to fly in to ercan

well thats my personal view anyway

grahamlil

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

Thank you to all the people that have bothered to reply

Stupid me I knew it was Larnica not Nicosia, I am quite happy with Ercan just trying to save money.

Anyone on a trusted reliable lawyer that is not affiliated to an estate agent

Dancer

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Dodger

Can you recommend a car company in the South who will let you take a car over to the North, I have made enquiries with carjet who use Sixt but they don't hire to the North or is it that you don't divulge this information.

Thanks

dodger

Message Posted:
11/10/2007 21:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

most car companies in the south will tell you that it is illegal to drive over the border to the north this is absolute bollocks.best to just hire the car and not say,i have had a couple of diagreements with car hirers in the south because i was being honest,if you dont mention were your going they wont even ask.as long as you get your nc insurance at the border you will be o.k.i no this may sound silly but oneof the reasons that they dont like you crossing the border is because they dont want tourism to catch on in the north as people will be spending money,my advice would be to GO FOR IT DANCER.

Dancer

Message Posted:
13/10/2007 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Dodger

Thanks for your reply, can you recommend any particular companies to try?

If not don't worry I will trawl through.

Just another point do you think it is easier to cross the border in a taxi rather than a hire car with regard to them searching your luggage?

Dancer

Bradus

Message Posted:
13/10/2007 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

We have flown to Larnaca and then got taxi to Girne. It costs about £40 each way.Only ever searched on return journey so what ever you do don't return with any brochures or papers regarding property sales. Not a problem and it takes less than 2 hours depending on traffic.

dodger

Message Posted:
13/10/2007 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

dancer,

cannot see the point in hiring a taxi as when you get to your stay in n.c. you will need to hire a car any way have another look at post no 9 and hire a car in the south honestly its fine.

legin

Message Posted:
16/11/2007 02:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

grahamlil

I'm using a very good lawyer in Girne, and would have no hesitation recommending him. He is very thorough with a very relaxed manner , and a good sense of humour. Batuhan Halim of Gozel Halim Law Firm, If you would like contact details, e-mail or post me

Regards

Legin

legin

Message Posted:
16/11/2007 08:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Grahamlil

I used Royal Crown estates in Girne. Two brothers, Huseyin & Bulent both wonderful guys. Speak good english, and nothing is too much trouble. Not at all pushy, and the aftercare is brilliant. Huseyin set me up an appointment at the bank and came with me to help open an account, is sorting water and electric metres for me, picking me up from ercan on my next visit etc.etc. The list is endless. Give them a try, I'm sure you wont be disappointed. They are brilliant!!!

Tel +90 392 816 0444 e-mail h.mertgil@royal-crown-estates.com

Web address http://www.royal-crown-estates.com

Happy hunting

Legin

grahamlil

Message Posted:
16/11/2007 10:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

legin,

grahamlil

Message Posted:
16/11/2007 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

legin

thanks for your input much appreciated

grahamlil

vonnie

Message Posted:
05/01/2008 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

hello, can anyone help with some information, my husband is a cypriot,i am from scotland and we are moving to cyprus in the near future, my son,born in England will join us later in the year but we were wondering if he has to do his army service when he arrives, also my daughter and partner want to live in cyprus, if she and her boyfriend marry, would he have to do the army service too, the rules keep changing so we are a bit confused

ukturk

Message Posted:
06/01/2008 00:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

hi vonnie

welcome to the forum

if a boy/man has a dad or mum who is turksih cypriot irelavant of place of birth your son is automatically a turkish cypriot citizen and is eligable for the army service and is also eligable to obtain a kimlik (id card stating he is a citizen) firstly you can get your kimlik and cypriot passport to apply for this you need his full birth cert, his dads passport copy and cypriot kimlik or birth cert and your passport copy once you got that you either pay the army £3K and dont do it or pay £1.5k and do a month, once you have done this he will have 2passports and be a cypriot national which makes things easier for him to find work legally and many more things

i dont know if he intends to live permantley with you in cyprus but if he did not you dont have to go thru this hassle he can a document from the army headquarters in lefkosa called a cikis kayit (exit paper) with this it is a 90day a year visa and this might be ideal for him and you if he is not sure if it will work he will 3months to decide if cyprus is for him

secondly it does not make a diffrence if your daughter marries her partner he does not have to the army its only blood relative which makes eligable

i hope this helps you

ukturk

p.s if you need any further info please dont hesitate in posting me

elkiton

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

Coo there aint half some ropey advice given here.

Been there and done it....

When you hire a car in the south, just check with the hirer what will happen when you have an accident in the North and the car has to be recovered to the south, one in particular will hit you for all the repair costs and lost opportunity costs until the car is back in service...he had no faith in the insurance company ever paying him so you carry it until they pay up. Dont tell them? use your loaf.

All estate agents are in it to sell you a property, one of their properties..and judging from the gripes posted on these forums they have no real regard for the purchaser.,,,,use your loaf and visit a dozen.

Lawyers ? most are house conveyancers, ask your "recommended one" how many property cases they have successfully prosecuted and won for their clients...chances are you will be changing lawyers when it goes castors up on you.

Assume nothing is like the UK and you will be ok.

bet regards

TonyE f

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Messages 19 and 20. The last post before these 2 was posted on 6 January 2008, which surely makes any posted after that date "old news".

I would imagine that given the original post was dated 10 October 2007, the posters will probably have reached a decision by now???

J

wanderer

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 21:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

1.Car hire in the North is cheaper

2. The hire company where ever has an open imprint of your credit card and can re charge until the car is back or for unproven damage this is a profit centre in the UK and Spain.(never use a debit card & give access to allyour funds)

3.I believe that cigarettes are a problem taking them into the South plus goods purchased

4 If you are taking back property details you could have problems

Moover321

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

1. If you want to stay in the North travel to the northern airport - simple!

2. If you choose to travel via Larnaca and hore a car there be sure to read the small print. Some of the car hire companies have specific clasues regarding taking a car to the north. If you breach such a clause and you have a 'problem' with the car of any sort you will be held liable and it may prove to be very expensive even if you have purchased insurance at the border!

3. Always get an independent lawyer. look on the FCO website they provide a list of English speaking lawyers.

4. As with buying any kind of property in any country - never forget - 'caveat emptor' - buyer be ware! This is particuarly true of Cyprus in general be it north or south!

5. My suggestion: Fly to Ercan; Book a car in the north; Rent for a period of time and see if the TRNC is for you and then decide the area in which you would be happy to live; If you do it that way you will find the right agent when you are ready!

Lilli

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

Jean asalways you are so right xxxxx love to you both xxxxx

rtddci

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 23:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

"Always get an independent lawyer"

Why does the expression rocking horse s*it spring to mind?

Brinsley

Message Posted:
09/05/2009 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

grahamlil

Are you mad? The last time Nicosia Airport was open was in 1974! I suggest reading a few History books about TRNC before investing here, I recommend '30 Hot Days' by Birand and 'The Cyprus Tapes' by Mathew Clarke. Your money your choice but please do your homework!

Richard

Krawpy

Message Posted:
09/05/2009 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

You know, if you ever end up living in TRNC you will be quite safe walking any street at any time (potholes ditches and dog packs excluded). A certain way to end up as a mugging victim is to walk into any lawyers office after having been sold a package of nonsense by an estate agent. You will do your "research" and feel confident that you have things sussed. We have been there! If your decision to purchase is already made then you have already been sucked into the swamp. Post another enquiry in about a year and we'll talk again. Best wishes Krawps.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
09/05/2009 01:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

Krawpy

Ref message 27

Tarring all with the same brush again I see.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.