North Cyprus Tourist Board - Greek Cypriots blame Brits for abandoned dogs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Greek Cypriots blame Brits for abandoned dogs

Greek Cypriots blame Brits for abandoned dogs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

Visitor

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 14:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 28 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/animal-welfare/massive-increase-abandoned-dogs/20110812#comments

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 14:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 28 in Discussion

cor blimey yet something else to be blamed for

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 28 in Discussion

Sadly, I'm sure it's true... But many more Brits obviously, support shelters by giving time, etc.

moxie

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 15:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 28 in Discussion

factual reporting then !

waddo

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 15:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 28 in Discussion

"said Annie Monday, one of two managers at the self-funded, volunteer based PAWS Dog Shelter in Paphos." Strange name for a Greek Cypriot, guess she must be one of those hundreds and thousands of refugee London Cypriots.

Just glad this never happens in UK!!!!!

newscoop

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 28 in Discussion

It must be the Brits fault

The Cyps would just shoot them (Dogs)

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 22:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 28 in Discussion

My wife and I rescued 3 over the last 6-7 months.All from southern part of the island,all from brits and smuggled them over.............in a handbag.

ohhhhh almost forgot................and the pig.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 22:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 28 in Discussion

@ Yorg..

>>ohhhhh almost forgot................and the pig. <<

The flying variety ?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
12/08/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 28 in Discussion

no mmmmm...........the real thing. ........his name is YAKUP

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 28 in Discussion

Unfortunately the stray dog problems in the Island really started with the Brits in the 1950s and 60s when service families brought pets and then abandoned them at the end of their spell of duty. In the 60's it was obvious from the breeds - the kind of dogs that were kept as pets, not the working breeds that were all the Cypriots were likely to own in those days.

And sadly it is self - perpetuating. People take pity on a stray (or two or more) , provide home out of kindness and then have to leave it for cicumstances beyond their control, such as illness (there have been so many sad posts on these Boards) and are unable to rehome it or them.

And people like myself who already have one or two are discouraged from adopting more, because of escalating costs, diminishing places suitable for exercising pets and the problems as we get older of handling and exercising more than one or two at a time. It is no longer even safe to leave dogs in ones own garden, meaning restriction

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 00:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 28 in Discussion

(Sorry about this - I am new here, I will work out the best way to post eventually!)

contd............ meaning restriction on outings, let alone the impossibility of holidays.

Maybe animal loving "swallows" could help out here. Dog sharing with a permanent resident - sharing costs and helping out with exercising and occasional dog sitting

BoTanica

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 28 in Discussion

Very good post BizziLizzi. You are right about the restrictions on where one can safely walk a dog, and also regarding the safety of dogs even in their own garden. I would love to leave mine out in the garden but fear of her being stolen or poisoned prevent this.

teatime

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 28 in Discussion

The same thing happened in Malta when the British service personnel left there. Britain a nation of animal lovers, don't think so!

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 28 in Discussion

teatime get real plenty of people help the kar and do the right thing taking on waifs and strays

i would never abanadon an animal

teatime

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 28 in Discussion

cyprusairsoft, perhaps you wouldn't and nor would I, but there are plenty who would and do.

blade

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 28 in Discussion

A dog is for life, very simple if you can't afford it, don't take it on.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 28 in Discussion

I agree that a dog is for life, and if one takes on an animal one should accept responsibility. I have only had one proper holiday (and that due to the kindness of a Cypriot friend) and only perhaps 6 short weekends away in l5 years to prove it.

But if everyone refused to accept a dog, because of the risk that they, or their family, might become ill or have an accident and be unable to care for it, then few of our many strays would find a home.

As for affording it - well who could have foreseen the worldwide financial crisis combined with the escalating cost of living in the TRNC. I must be paying l0 times as much now per dog than I did with my first pathetic little stray, and both I am my dogs have a far poorer quality of life, than when there were plenty of places to walk her and I could safely go away for a few hours and leave her in my garden (which I spent money I could ill afford on fencing and provided with a large, shady and comfortable dog house for just that purpo

waddo

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 28 in Discussion

Just knew it would be blamed on the British Servicemen in the end - guess that Afghanistan will also be a huge dog problem in years to come - the same as Northern Island, Singapore, Aden, etc, etc. All the places where the poor British Servicemen had to live. Just lucky that all the Civil Servants that came to support the servicemen never brought any pets with them as well?

Get real please, you can not just blame the whole problem on one set of people.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 28 in Discussion

I recommend a book callled "No Place like Home" by Pen Farthing. It describes the efforts of a British serviceman and his colleagues to rescue and back to the UK and other countries feral dogs there - it really puts the problems of Cyprus in perspective.

There was no intention to "pick on" British Servicemen ( do I| detect the hint of a chip on the shoulder there?) it was only limited space that prevented me speificially mentioning , instead of implicitly including. all the essential civilian component of the British Forces as well as diplomatic missions, their families etc, etc, etc. And often there were very good reasons where pets had (with very great sadness) to be left behind.

I simply meant to point out that it is unfair to blame the Cypriots (Greek or Turkish) for a problem which was seriously escalated maybe actually caused by the presence of the British on the Island and a "holier than thou" attitiude by expats is inappropriate

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 23:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 28 in Discussion

I dont mean to denigrate the efforts of KAR and their supporters, but giving a few old clothes or a bit of spare change , or even a lot of time (which is much more dedicated) is not the same as taking on a dog or two or more for life - which means 24 hours a day, 365 days of the year.

I think that KAR would be the first to agree that (even if they had sufficient space) kennels are not ideal - dogs need people.

More needs to be done by the authorities, but even more by the expat community, to support those who take strays into their homes and hearts. Instead of taking advantage of them, whilst carping and making their lives even more difficult than necessary.

Lilli

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 28 in Discussion

waddo bizzi, look at spme of the amercian sites, they bring them back to USA ESPICIALLY IF THEY WERE UDED IN THE CONFLICTS, sorry not shouting caps came on.Bizzi I think here people have taken on dogs and cats as they really thought this was the end home, sadly circumstances dictate otherwise. We only have KAR which does their job to take strays etc not dogs whom people leave, we have no battersea dogs home type places here sadly. Its often down to this forum and others that we can beg for someone to take these beloved pets on. Im sure many leave with a heavy heart but quarintine rules in Uk and if an airline will carry them has such a big impact. Hopefully when the new rules come in in January things may change but at the moment if Turksih Airlines will comply. Many are living in hope. Otherwise some people here do know how to smuggle them across the border but its a very big risk, I know one person who hads done this but comes one here saying its illegal. It is, you risk the poor

Lilli

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 28 in Discussion

animal being taken in or shot, who would take that. None of us know the future, many see the penisions cant cant cope now with living costs here, vets bills etc, their health. Its not that they do not love or care its really circumstances. Please be to God that this new bill and Turkish airlines will do it x

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 28 in Discussion

Lilli

I think our posts crossed but we were saying the same thing really. I breaks my heart to read some of he posts where people have genuine reasons to need to rehome animals and I worry constantly what will happen to mine (both rescue dogs btw) if anything happened to me.

I would really like to help in some of these circumstances, but a very distressing experience recently has totally put me off taking on another dog and excercising multiple dogs as well as cost becomes a very serious problem.

We need to the more mutually supportive, but a website which was started to help people who need temporary homes for animals because of illness seems to have died from lack of support, I am becoming really cynical about this issue, and I feel I risk my good nature being taken advantage of again

Changes in the quarantine regs may alleviate for people who can afford the fares, but still leaves a lot of strays unhomed.

We really need to be more mutually supportive.

blade

Message Posted:
14/08/2011 16:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 28 in Discussion

If you can get a proper passport , and get your dog on the ferry to Turkey from Jan, it will cost between 600-800 quid to get them back to the UK. Depending on numbers / size. So there is no excuse!

Turkish airlines need to pull up their socks up and sort it, cos they are going to loose out big time. Thats if they can compete on costs? Don't hold your breath waiting for the Turks to help you.

A nice sensible EU company has it sorted already!

I have the route & details but i am not telling cos i am also working on another way. Business is business after all.

All will be told when i know more.

chriswife

Message Posted:
15/08/2011 09:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 28 in Discussion

i thought that may be the case, my colleague assumed just strays here.

so we kinda have a responsibility to them on our fore runners behalf would the 6 month quarantine have been the issue?

We in a quandry there is a gorgeous natured spanile cross outside ours we put out water and leave a biscuit but she doesnt gobble up just wants stroking and love but i can see ticks by here eyes and worry for our health and can't afford to frontline myself we are allowed her in grounds but not inside the rental villa she needs bath and cut but has been stray all her life, won't thank you i think. what would you do?

Tango1

Message Posted:
15/08/2011 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 28 in Discussion

Msg. 25 Please, please remove the ticks from around her eyes. If you can't afford Frontline or a Paraban collars, then you can soak a piece of cotton wool in nail varnish remover (or anything similar) and hold over the tick for a couple of minutes, you can completely smother it in Vaseline and there are other methods. If you are worried about your own health (which if you wash your hands after removing a tick, you should be fine) then you can wear rubber gloves. Make sure you kill the tick when you've removed it. You can in fact pull them out backwards but you have to ensure that you have removed the head as well, which will be burrowed into the flesh. (only do this as a last resort if the tick has engorged itself and is swollen with blood)

BoTanica

Message Posted:
15/08/2011 10:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 28 in Discussion

Contact kar and see if they will clean her up. I wouldn't put nail polish remover near eyes.

Lilli

Message Posted:
15/08/2011 10:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 28 in Discussion

Oh chris thats so sad, please try to do what Tango says. The ticks will suck the life out of her. She may not have been a stray all her life, perhaps she was just left to fend x

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.