North Cyprus Tourist Board - IPhone useful in Cyprus or not
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > IPhone useful in Cyprus or not

IPhone useful in Cyprus or not

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

shaun463

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Hi all

i see a lot of people asking to buy IPhones so there must be a use, i was thinking of upgrading to an IPhone but it was suggested to me the advantage of the IPhone was all the apps but this was good in the UK as most on contract can pay for or get free internet all the time. But here in Cyprus unless you pay for interent connection i am not sure if i would get full use from this type of phone, i have internet at home so what are the advantages of this phone here. looking to find out if it is worth getting and what they can not used for here, other than phone calls,

thanks for any advice in advance

erolz

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 14:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Many of the functions on an Iphone, or indeed any 'smart phone' require internet access to use. The phone can connect to the internet in two ways. Either through the mobile phone network, where you must pay for the data sent and recieved to the phone company you use, either on a per kb basis or via a package of so many MB per month. Or you can connect via 'wifi' in the phone to a 'wifi hotsopt'. The later may or may not also charge for the connection. Connecting via your own wifi ap in your home would not have a charge, nor would connecting to any of the many 'free' hotspots around in cafes and other locations. So if you connected via mobile phone company, you will pay for data sent and recived, but you will be able to do so anywhere the company has coverage. If you connect via a free hotsopt you will not pay but coverage is limited. As to if it is 'worth it' here in TRNC to get an iphone, only you can answer that question.

nemo1985

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

I have an iphone 4 and recently went to turkcell to get an internet package. 15tl for a 250mb a month pay n go. i use facebook, heytell and email. ive had this package for 5days and its already down to 170mb!! and i dont use it alot! ask around for best packages is my advıce and try them.

poochops

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 19:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hi Shaun as Erolz says access to the web is by 3G or WiFi, in reality most online time with one is via WiFi either on your own home network or in a cafe hotel restaurant or bar. I'm in the uk and since owning one I rarely ever use my desktop computer as the phone makes it pretty redundant as far as Internet access and email is concerned, in Cyprus we use the skype app all the time to phone home, you probably know already but with a skype account for smartphones you can call mobiles or landlines like a normal phone for about 50p an hour. You need to be on wifi to use it so we like to sit at the bar in Silver Rocks and have a beer and a catch up with family and friends. The apps on an iPhone are amazingly varied in their range of subjects and because they have to be approved by apple they work, properly. The camera is pretty nifty and some of the photography apps are amazing. They're expensive but brilliant devices that change the way you run your life! Get one.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

I'd be lost without my iPhone 4.

poochops

Message Posted:
13/08/2011 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I don't mow anyone who owns one that doesn't feel the same Doyen, tragic in a way but very true!

Turbo

Message Posted:
15/08/2011 02:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

got a huge bill with telsims 1 gig for 24.99. thye didnt add the package , charge for 3 days 180 tl. end of month was 480tl. still waiting for them to get back to me, the sales girl "forgot" to add the package deal.. Telsim not very helpful beware. I was using Iphone also. Wifi works well , if you can find it.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.