North Cyprus Tourist Board - who do i report animal cruelty to?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > who do i report animal cruelty to?

who do i report animal cruelty to?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

vee123

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 14:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 34 in Discussion

i have noticed a very thin puppy tied up every day, you can very cleary see his ribs and back bones sticking through. there are 3 dogs there in total, but they have seperated this one puppy, who i think is about a year old? not sure, but this is animal cruelty and i think someone should know about it. has anyone had a simular problem with dogs etc? and who do i get in touch with?

Groucho

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 15:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 34 in Discussion

I would tell a good vet in the first instance... Try Ferdez or Pertev...

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 34 in Discussion

hi vee

i have nagged at nagged my local police station to do something about the cruelty but alas it falls on deaf ears.

Lilli

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 15:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 34 in Discussion

hi vee have you trued KAR THEY HAVE TO HELP. there is a law here apparantly about animal cruelty but if they enforce it thats another matter, i only wish kar could get more funding from the rspca and have an inspector at street level to monitor and bring these people to justice. Try Kar they probably wont come out they may ask you to take the dog to them but hopefully they can advise you who to report it to. Where is this puppy please.

vee123

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 16:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 34 in Discussion

cant take the puppy as it is tied up on private grounds. the puppy is in esentepe. but will definitely notify kar as i am going to start walking the dogs now the weather has cooled.

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 18:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 34 in Discussion

Civilisation as far as animal cruelty law is concerned only exists in the south. The TRNC authorities couldn't care less about our four-legged friends.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 34 in Discussion

PtePike

I think on reflection after a little investigation you may like to withdraw/ ammend your comment pvte pike.

Your journalistic and investigative skills could well show that this post is a best biased at worst without foundation.

PtePike

Message Posted:
12/11/2008 18:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 34 in Discussion

nige,

Last reaction I got from the TRNC authorities was only British colonial laws remained and would not be enforced now. Remember the donkey incident? If there is legislation now in place, enforcement taking place, poison purchase control and people getting charged then I'll withdraw my comment.

Lilli

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 34 in Discussion

after finding those puppies some time ago now with no help from kar or the police and i am afraid to say i have to agree with pike on this one. there is a british law but who the hell will enforce it. his side is in the eu as is the whole island until it comes to matters than need attention. they should all stand up and be counted. charties shouls declare thier accounts and i know they have been asked to at a recent meeting and asked the person who asked to leave. what will we ever know

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 00:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 34 in Discussion

LILLI unfortunately it does not matter what rules or regulations exist in so called civilized countries their are and will still be problems. The UK still has problems with animal abuse, badger baiting, cock fighting etc. The TRNC is 30+ years behind England but it is up to everyone that complains to take an active part in resolving the situation. Too many expats complain but do not want to get involved. You may have an issue with Kars and I know you and your husband are busy people but please take time out to come to KARS and spend a bit of time to try and understand the enormity of the problem that they have to deal with. And more than anything else meet the people that have the same passion as you for wanting to protect and look after animals that would not normally stand a chance in life.

Take care

AJ

lesleyd

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 34 in Discussion

AlsancakJack

How true your words are well said.

daveb

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 00:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 34 in Discussion

they eat dogs in some countries dont they.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 01:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 34 in Discussion

daveb

And?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 07:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 34 in Discussion

AJ you cannot compare the animal cruelty in the UK with what goes on here so that is a ridiculous statement, there will always be cases that slip through the net but in general the Uk has protection for animals.

Quite frankly I am sick of reading that the brits should do more, why? IMHO I and several others do more than enough and it is about the authorities stepped in to rectify. Why doesn't Kar ( who are supposed to be so bloody wonderful) euthanise some of these dogs, they have no life, no hope and no future, but no, they let the poor little souls continue and for what. So get off your soap box about the brits and do something more constructive like setting up a programme of education for the owners of these poor defenceless creatures.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 07:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 34 in Discussion

I don't agree with much of what Pike says but on this occassion I do.

PtePike

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 34 in Discussion

Nothing will happen unless the TRNC authorities are shamed into action. However, most of the figureheads are quite shameless anyway so this may be tricky. I suggest a campaign for animal protection laws to be publicised widely in the TRNC media, along with reaction from the minister reponsible about just why no action is being taken to protect our four-legged friends. Anyone who reads my posts will know I'm not afraid of saying what needs to be said. This incurs hatred (and sometimes a little slap on the wrist for upsetting OAPs) but don't be afraid. Nobody can attack someone for defending animals. If you love animals then you should be prepared to speak out for them. Stick up for what you know to be right.

the2ofus

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 34 in Discussion

deecyprus4

KAR are in the process of expanding their existing education programme. I think it was last year that they started a programme that was aimed at children (i know Sunny Lane took part) and their relationship with animals. Now they are hoping not only to expand that but also to bring in a new Adult education programme. The whole issue of education (for the young and not so young!) is something that is desperately needed - but KAR face the same problems as before - very limited income/limited volunteers/limited community support ( By community i do not mean just the brits/ex pats) etc. They can only try to do their best - and unfortunately that means they cannot please all of the people all of the time. At least they are doing something.

Mr Vince

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 34 in Discussion

VEE123

message 1 on this thread. Rather than looking for someone to do something; why not do it yourself? Have you spoken to the dog's owner? You never know. A quiet word may do the trick. Don't be shy, go and talk to a Cyp.

Vince

lesleyd

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 34 in Discussion

Message 15

What gives you the impression that KAR should take in every dog as KAR is not responsible for every loose dog on the streets? have you been up to see how many dogs and cats are already at the rescue?? Do you have any clue as to how much money the rescue has to try and look after all the dogs cats and sometimes other animals they have in their care , Maybe instead of moaning about Kar Rescue all the time if more people tried to give them more support by helping out or make donations then just maybe the very under staffed rescue team could build more shelter for more animals. Stop knocking these guys they do a great job and for all the people that do knock them maybe you should go to try to do the job that they do every day of the year and see if you could improve on the way its run.

craig2536

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 16:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 34 in Discussion

maybe try complaining to the muktar in the butcher shop. mustapha I think, maybe he will have a word with the owners of the puppy

fire starter

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 18:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 34 in Discussion

henry,go away and grow up.

rowan

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 20:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 34 in Discussion

s far as I know, the vets here are very reluctant to put down a healthy animal, even when no-one apparently wants and its quality of life is poor. KAR do their best but are not responsible for every animal that is having a rough time. I am not sure what some folks expect KAR to do when the kennels are full to bursting and I believe they would welcome constructive comments to remedy that.

PtePike

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 34 in Discussion

Surely dogs will have to be destroyed if they are stray and nobody claims them?

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 34 in Discussion

Lots of the feral dogs are fit and healthy and seem to be having a fine old time... Yes it's always disterssing to see animals in distress but there are lots that live wild and don't seem to suffer...

Dogs are not purely domestic animals and living "rough" comes naturally to them...

I am not talking about the shameful actions of those abusing and or abandoning dogs here... I don't think holding up the UK as a paragon of virtue is really on either... seen enough mistreated animal stories there in my time and prosecution and banning does not seem to work...

I see a lot less humans living rough here than I used to in the UK.... that says something about society don't you think?

PtePike

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 34 in Discussion

Groucho,

What do you think of the TRNC authorities for their lack of action to prevent animal cruelty?

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 34 in Discussion

Pike,

What do you think about the lack of action to tackle homelessness in the UK?

I think there is lots of room for improvement here but I have to say that I blame individuals more... the cruelty is perpetuated by people and I can't abide it..

The Government after 34 years of isolation are understandably cash-strapped for essential services let alone employing RSPCA type animal protection measures... do get a sense of proportion.

Laws are only any good if they are obeyed...

My understanding is that there are adequate laws and it's the policing of them that is at fault....

PtePike

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 34 in Discussion

Thanks, Groucho. I was expecting too much for a principled stand so let's just blame it on the isolation - the convenient excuse for anything you may care to think of in the TRNC.

Groucho

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 21:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 34 in Discussion

What is unprincipled about my stand? I prefer to lay blame for cruelty where it should be; with those that perpetuate it and unlike you I'm not looking for a scapegoat.. it's all too easy to blame Governments for the actions of individuals but that suits your agenda...

I don't claim moral or principle superiorty with the same gay abandon that you do...

I notice you haven't answered my question...

What measures have you put in place to help the homeless in the UK... apart from, in your capacity as a part-time busy, moving them on?

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
13/11/2008 21:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 34 in Discussion

I havent time to answer any of the above at the moment but I will tomorrow

Dee

swyflot

Message Posted:
15/11/2008 15:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 34 in Discussion

Just visited Limassol and found a tiny Animal Rescue Charity shop. The lady who runs it funds it independently and has re homed over 600 dogs....no Government help and she assured me that 80% of her customers are British ex pats and tourists.

She, herself owns over 70 dogs and cats which due to disabilites etc. she could not re home and refused to have them destroyed.

She also told me that poisoning is a big problem there as it is here so may I assume that Sgt. Pike has got it wrong ?

When she realised that I am involved with the Rescue Centre she gave me her address vand telephone number and invited me to have lunch because as she quoted " the animals have no borders " ....if only the politicians could see it so clearly.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
15/11/2008 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 34 in Discussion

John

'Surely dogs will have to be destroyed if they are stray and nobody claims them?'

How do you suggest doing that then?

lesleyd

Message Posted:
16/11/2008 02:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 34 in Discussion

Pike I have been to the south many times and have seen just as many stray dogs and cats and I also know that they also get poisoned, but whereever the animals are we are now talking about North Cyprus and its problems with stray cats and dogs and what can be done.

Well like me and quite a few other people have commented its no use just sitting here and writing on the forum about it people need to start trying to do something about it as long as we all sit on our backsides sniping at each other and just moaning about it then nothing will ever get sorted out.

mitsi

Message Posted:
16/11/2008 20:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 34 in Discussion

Why don't we all give some time to KAR. Go up one morning and walk some dogs. Anyone with carpentry skills could help out doing repairs to the kennels. They desperately need volunteers up there and we could all spare a few hours a week. Let's get PRO active rather than REactive. Get petitions off to the government to launch education programmes to teach people about caring for their animals and strays. Make people understand the need for neutering/spaying their animals. Help them to understans why it is totally unacceptable to tether animals, especially in blistering heat without access to shade. Let's stop whinging and get on with it! My hubby wants to finish the building work but needs a hand. Any offers?

lesleyd

Message Posted:
16/11/2008 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 34 in Discussion

Seems like a few post have been removed from this topic it make's one think why??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.