North Cyprus Tourist Board - Very big Snake in the garden
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Very big Snake in the garden

Very big Snake in the garden

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Gardening threads posted so far

augustal

Message Posted:
18/08/2011 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

The night before last my wife & I were shocked when the Cat we have seemed to adopt looked very alert, I said to Agata that the cat had seen something, his head moved slowly right to left following something in the garden, I thought it was a Lizard or maybe a Grass hopper. The next thing the Cat ran around the pool stopped, stood exactly still, he crept forward slowly then pounced, it went straight into the bush, there was a sound like there were two cats fighting it really kicked off, I swam over to break it up and then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swam back as quickly as I could as the biggest Black Snake I have ever seen come out of the Bushes with the Cat in hot pursuit. without exaggerating it was at least 2.5 to 3 metres long about two inches thick, it moved that quick across the stone it was unbelievable, it got through the fence so the Cat could not continue after it, we either have adopted the bravest Cat in the world or the daftest,,,,,,,,,,,,

Al.

blackhawk1011

Message Posted:
18/08/2011 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

you afraid but black snakes are harmless and sometimes they are very big.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
18/08/2011 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

We have a big black one living in our wall. My Cypriot neighbour tells me they were introduced by the British to kill the rats.The dogs bark like crazy at it but leave it alone.

andy-f

Message Posted:
18/08/2011 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

yes they are harmless but you would get the shock of your life if you grabbed one by mistake like i did ! one was dozing in the march spring sun on a small incline i was climbing near the lake at mersinlik , i grabbed what i thought was a peice of irrigation pipe to help pull me up but this 3ft long black snake was what i got grabbed !

it shot off in a flash and i nearly s--t myself !

andy

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/08/2011 07:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Msg 1:

Please make sure you put bread and milk out for your black snake - they like that; so do hedgehogs!

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/08/2011 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Hedgehogs do like milk but it's bad for them. They cannot digest it!!

We had a big black snake and had to watch as it emptied a birds nest of its baby birds while the parents where shrieking. It was so fast. I hope it deals with any mice and rats with the same speed.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
19/08/2011 10:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

'Our' Cypriot hedgehogs have always thrived on bread and milk - so did 'our' 10 foot long black snake!

If a black snake keeps down the burgeoning sparrow population, so much the better!

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
19/08/2011 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Roy,

Are sparrows a problem, then? Can black snakes climb trees?

I would like to think black snakes kept poisonous snakes and rats under control.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.