North Cyprus Tourist Board - My post re Girne Harbour
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > My post re Girne Harbour

My post re Girne Harbour

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

smwredd

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 22 in Discussion

Once again the whole posting went 'off topic' and members turned it into one big slanging match. Is it impossible for anyone on this Forum to actually discuss a topic, give their views, thoughts, etc. without insulting each other. Or am I expecting too much. Think the answer is probably yes!

simbas

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 11:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 22 in Discussion

Never give up hope

Simbas

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 12:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 22 in Discussion

Maybe the best thing to do is start a new thread in the hopes it will stay on topic for a while. I am beginning to think that if everyone ignored the off thread postings, or vindictive ones, they would just die. Then the new, good one can go on until ....... But I agree with simbas - don't give up hope.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 22 in Discussion

To be fair the thread didn't really stray off topic : Yorgozlu claimed that the atmosphere there had changed because (according to him) Turkish mainlanders were owning or at least running many of the bars and establishments there now - I don't think he was taking it off-topic.

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 22 in Discussion

In a sense he was Crumpy, because the poster was complaining how it had changed in terms of ambiance and the persistent waiters to get people in to their establishments. It doesn't really matter who the owners are, who the waiters are, what nationality, what age etc, etc, but what does matter is that the place is welcoming and maintains an air of being the place you want to return to. What is really needed are ideas as to how this can be restored to what it was. For me, 20years ago it was fantastic - less tables, less cafes, and I could even play billiards in the front of one of the old ones which is now a swish , modern bar. But I know I can't have the old billiard table back - but it is all atmosphere, innit????

Spike

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 22 in Discussion

arion Msg 5: "20years ago it was fantastic - less tables, less cafes"

Fewer tables, fewer cafes... ;)

bobat5

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 22 in Discussion

marion , i agree wholeheartedly , but , wherever you go in the world it is a constantly changing place . we would all like to live in utopia , but , alas this is not possible , so all we can do is just enjoy what we have here at this moment in time . p.s. some people coming here for the first time remark how beautiful it is , not knowing what they have missed in the past . have a nice day .

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 22 in Discussion

sorry Spike for confusing my 'mass' and 'count' - should have said 'furniture' then i would have been O.K!

As to Bobats, I am not suggesting putting the clock back, cos I know you can't, and I do know that new folk say it is beautiful, but the touting is not. I had the same problem in Rethymnon a few years back - another beautiful harbour which is now more cafes than boats. I gave up going. Beautiful to see, but hell to walk through. I guess that is what the old thread was about. and you have a nice day, too. I am off to beautiful Bellapais which has a different beauty today to yesteryear (or should that be 'from' spike?)

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 22 in Discussion

Marion. I agree Bellapais is beautiful until you look over the railing on the car park and see all the rubbish dumped down there, that wasn't like that when we first went to NC 9 years ago, broken bottles and food remains left around the seats too.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 22 in Discussion

smwredd;

......not that your old old topic had gone off topic,other then me making it more political but why did you go into kitchen if you don't like the heat?

whooooooops...........there I go again with my 'silly'/'not completed' comments.............

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 22 in Discussion

yES, ?woodspeckie. I agree. Again 20 years ago one could sit in Kybele restaurant and look down on greenery, which is now cement, but the sea is still glorious. and I take comfort in the fact that north Cyprus is not alone in the dumping of rubbish. take a look at U.K public places and compare with the squeaky clean places in France (etc). at the end of the day, the question remains 'What to do?' How can you make people respect their surroundings? How can you make people respect beauty?

Or does one continue to look at stars as opposed to mud?

bobat5

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 22 in Discussion

marion hi again , my wife feels the same way about the waiters as you do , but , to me they are just a part of the whole experience . i just have some banter with them and it is all taken in good heart . tis but a small price to pay for a lovely walk .

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 22 in Discussion

@ msg 9, woodspeckie: Are you sure..?! "... look over the railing on the car park ..."

▶ [ http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/S3500129_72.jpg ].

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 22 in Discussion

I don't have a personal problem aat the harbour in one sense, becuase like you, I give out aa bit of banter, and many of them know me and my dog! (another bit of banter!) but I know how keenly others feel and for their sakes I wish something couild be done. Every so often the Minister of tourism gets them to quieten down, but as someone has said, the other side of the coin is that many of these 'touts' are students on commission! Bit of a viscious circle. I also have a friend who lives in a flat in the harbour and enjoy sitting on her balcony and watching the world go by. But for first timers, it can be off putting. But, we can't please everyone, can we!

theparson

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 22 in Discussion

Well I still like the old harbour at Girne, where you can get a reasonable meal in a wonderful location, even though it can be a bit pricey.

Like everything else, its what you make it, and if you go down there expecting to be hassled then you wont easily brush it of.

Crumpy

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 15:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 22 in Discussion

As Yorgozlu wrote in message 10, he merely brought a little bit of politics into the thread : I and others don't always agree with his sentiments, but it certainly spices up the threads.

With regard to the harbour, I have no objection to the touts, the music or the large-screen televisions. I do however somewhat object to the (particulaly mainland) habit of throwing the sunflower husks on to the ground ... as it causes problems for those cleaning up afterwards.

However, enough of my feelings on the harbour, because that would be going off topic - After all, according the original posting, the subject of this thread is about threads going off topic

InspironDream

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 22 in Discussion

I have to admit that there is a lot of rubbish being dumped down bellapaís.

martinD41

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 18:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 22 in Discussion

Msg17,,,,The whole TRNC is awash with rubbish, no pride whatsoever,if the natives don't care there is little hope....

hattikins

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 22 in Discussion

The waiters in the harbour are just trying to do a job, we find that a polite " no thank you" does the trick. Of course the place has changed over the years but so has everywhere else I expect.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 22 in Discussion

I'm not too familiar with the "off-topic" rule, so could someone enlighten me? Is it OK, for instance, to go off topic by 5%, but not 95%? Or perhaps 20%, but definitely no more than, say, 50%?

From my own point of view, I don't mind how much a thread goes "off topic", because I'm capable of reading it and deciding if I wish to respond to it or not...indeed, some of the "off-topic" comments are stimulating, worthy of discussion, happily ignored or head-shakingly stupid, but so what?

I can't help but feel that some of the posters who complain about off-topic comments are getting just a little bit precious.

Marion

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 22 in Discussion

good on yer, Rottolover. that's a good bit of aussie sense! (and British , come to that!)

Bradus

Message Posted:
21/08/2011 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 22 in Discussion

I have to agree with message 20. Is this not something that happens in everyday conversation? We simply divert and move on? Seems to me that this is exactly what happens in all forms of communication.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.