North Cyprus Tourist Board - Rubbish & Recycling in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Rubbish & Recycling in North Cyprus

Rubbish & Recycling in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

katiel33

Message Posted:
22/08/2011 01:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 26 in Discussion

Just back in the UK from a great break in TRNC. Our second year and we have plans to continue visiting. One thing that I do find hard to deal with though is the amount of littering and the total lack of recycling. OK, so the bins get emptied twice a week but they are filled up with perfectly recycable items such as glass, plastic, paper & aluminium. Why? Its a beautiful country but not looked after enough.

Jeannie

Message Posted:
22/08/2011 01:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 26 in Discussion

katiel33 - they "don't do" recycling.

I don't know why; I wish I did, but doubtless someone will come along and tell us

TinderFox

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 26 in Discussion

I share this frustration regarding recycling. Does anyone know if any attempts have been made to set up a recycling centre here? I've been here two months and can't face binning another glass or plastic bottle when it could be recycled.

martinD41

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 26 in Discussion

They recycle everything here...

Groucho

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 26 in Discussion

It would seem the only way you could make glass/plastic re-cycling work here is to introduce a deposit on the bottles like they do on 95% or bottles in Denmark.

Unfortunately self-funded re-cycling is probably a non-starter on the grounds that the costs would almost certainly outweigh the benefits. Even in countries as populated as the UK it's often borderline for a local authority to re-coup the costs. Now imagine that with a population the size of a Market Town in the UK spread over the TRNC and you see the problem. Transport costs and processing of sufficient quantities so that the economies of scale are positive is always a problem. Given the parlous state of the TRNC economy it's not difficult to see why it's not happening now.

Should they do it?

Yes of course, if only to make the litter problem less obvious.

Collection points should be legal requirement at all supermarkets and village centres.

But still think the old Corona bottle deposit is the way to go.

martinD41

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 26 in Discussion

Re-cycling in the TRNC...Well lets see. First of all you would have to build re-cycling plants capable of separation , processing etc.,Have somewhere to re process the re-cycled goods into usable items..Or export them to Turkey.

This costs enormous amounts of money...I really don't think it is viable......Especially when you consider that the "Power Station" cannot afford "New Filters " for it's Diesel engines....and the pollution in(Groucho won't like this)Esentepe has reached dangerous levels and is set to get worse,apparently because Kib- Tek are running the engines harder to satisfy the needs of the South....Re-Cycling ,I don't think so ....

Yudu392

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 22:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 26 in Discussion

there is an ongoing project about waste management as I know.

1. 72 dump sites will be closed, one transfer station will be at Gazimagusa, one will be at Guzelyurt area.

2. There will be a central and well managed dump site with recycling plant

3. These process may take about a decade or more but the laws and regulations are changing

4. The amount of materials are not enough to run a recycling plant at the moment ( but please do not increase rubbish to cover this)

5. Some public awareness campaigns are organized about this topic and in Buyukkonuk willage someone collecting tins.

6. When the project finished every household should pay about 100 Euro/month or more and the reality is that the locals especially villagers couldn't manage to pay that. So I wonder how the politicians ask for vote if they ask such amount of money.

continue

spider

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 22:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 26 in Discussion

Maybe Turkey will arrange ship loads of rubbish to be sent over there or invest more money over here either way it must be part of the way forward to enter the EU...LOL

Such a terrible shame but them again the other night I say a mother in the front seat of the car with her very young baby on her lap while she was playing with her laptop thank goodness she was not in the driving seat !! If the government here have no idea on implementing road safety how on earth are they going to have the ability to move on and up in the world of recognition !

Spider,X

martinD41

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 26 in Discussion

Post deleted. Offensive remarks will not be tolerated.

Yudu392

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 26 in Discussion

7. We should reduce litter on this lovely island and there is some easy ways to do it but the politicians are not proactive or they haven't enough vision. fisrt of all plastic bags and plastic bottles should be banned or the tax of these items may be increased to such an amount so companies will use environmental friendly materials.

8. you can make compost with organic materials if you have a garden

9. We give excess food or vegetable remains to our chickens, and we give meat, bone etc to our neighbours who has dog.

10. Money is the key element to do big projects, but every person can do some little things to save our nature and this should not be a work, but should be the way of living.

11. the reality is we need education and good public awareness campaigns, you can still see someone throwing something out of the car while driving, shame for our community. nearly everyone went to universities but they are not educated...

12. good projects are on the way, follow me a few years

newlad

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 26 in Discussion

Its not that long ago we didnt do re-cycling in Britain.It will come to the North,but it will take time.Did countries like Spain,Malta,France re-cycle 20 years ago,i think not.People litter and pollute,because thats all they know.Not there fault really.Its just the fact that they dont know any alternative.30/40 years ago,in Britain you would see two or three abandoned dogs roaming the streets.Fortunateley this is a rare sight now.As i said,it will come,

Paul.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 23:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 26 in Discussion

When I lived in the UK my most convenient bottle bank was in a carpark half way between Windsor Castle and Eton College - not exactly a slum neighbourhood. (I didnt live there btw!). The "banks" were always overflowing and the carpark littered with broken glass and tins. What do you think a bottle bank would be like here?

But I agree with Yudu . We could all reduce rubbish. One way I do it is to keep cardboard cartons (or pick themup behind supermarket) fill them with woody clippings from my garden, and burn them on the winter fire. Saves quite a lot of money on logs (though you do need logs as well of course) and with coniferous , lemon (which will burn when green) and and herbs smells lovely. Also grape vine cuttings. But can I find a gardener who will not throw them out with the rubbish!

Also save jars and use them to store dried goods airtight and safe from insects, or donate them to one of the ladies who makes preserves for charity.

Lilli

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 23:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 26 in Discussion

so much you can do yourself to recycle. I hear all the supermarkets in the UK are now imposing a charge on carrier bags, perhaps that would be a start here and bring in bags for life. When we had the restaurant it broke my heart every night throwing bottles and cans away. I used to take bags over south to deposit there x

spider

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 26 in Discussion

MartinD41 everyone knows I do not drink...Stay on topic love. But then again it is all about rubbish but try not to let it spill from your mouth..We all know that you and a few others are trying your best but alas you will never do that..

Have a nice evening.

Spider,X

You as all of us are being watched by big brother

Yudu392

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 26 in Discussion

what about the waste oils.

some companies are collecting waste oils from restaurants and re use them, but most households probably pour waste oils to the wasbasin and this is not good for our nature.

May be restaurant owners should allow people to bring their little waste oils and pour it to the containers to be collected for re use.

for example people living @ east side can bring and pour into our containers @ Şinya restaurant. I hope many other restaurants can do that.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 26 in Discussion

There have been two initiatives in this area giving people fabric bags to use for Supermarket shopping. I dont think I have seen anyone using them!

At least a lot of Supermarket plastic bags do get recycled once. Most people use them as bin liners and to double wrap noxious rubbish. If they didnt they would have to buy plastic bin liners and double the number of plastic bags in circulation.

Marion

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 26 in Discussion

There are people who care here. Some schools teach the children about recycling and they have separate bins for rubbish, which of course ends up in one big bin whenh collected, but the seeds are sewn for future generations. It is not currenty economically viable to recycle. The size of the population is too small compared to the costs (as have been mentioned above) of setting up and maintaining a proper recycling plant.

And remember that no two nbations develop at the same rate. I am sure that things will improve (as they have already in so many ways) but nothing happens overnight, and currently there are so many matters to be dealt with that recycling is probably a 'top shelf job' (not easily reached|).

But if everyone made an effort to at least keep the streets and beaqches clean, that would help. Take the rubbish home. then at least it will end up with all the other rubbish at the dump (and that is another problem!)

definitely, yava,s yavas.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 26 in Discussion

Is message 15 serious? I certainly wouldnt eat at a restaurant that used other people's second hand oil - most unhygienic. The mind boggles what might of gone in it, even without the complication of pork products.

However you can re use your own surplus vegetable ( particularly olive ) oil from the frying pan or grill. If you have dogs, pour a spoonful (when cooled) onto their dinner - very good for their coats.

Or keep in the frig in reused glass jars. Spread on toast with a little marmite. Not quite the same as the toast and dripping of my childhood, but healthier and quite tasty for a quick snack.

Anyone else got personal recycling ideas?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 00:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 26 in Discussion

msg 18;

perhaps you've misunderstood msg 15.The porpuse of suggesting to use their container at their restaurant is not for the porpuse of them re-using it there but for you and all to take your waste oil and pour it into the container they use to put their waste oil.

I used to do the same in uk until they started charging me to take it away.

Marion

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 01:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 26 in Discussion

Hey, BizziLizzi - I have canvas bags which I use regularly, - they were handed out as part of the special children's project 'No plastic bags' - in fact I even used mine in Paris! Of course no one took any notice, but I was pleased to be using a TRNC bag in France! And I know other people who use theirs - maybe they just go to different supermarkets to the ones at which you shop!? (and I don't mean in Paris!)

silverfox1

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 08:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 26 in Discussion

The waste oil does not get used for coooking but is turned into bio-diesel for powering gennies diesel cars and lorries. The production costs are very low and the fiished product is alot cheaper.

The market value of waste plastic and cardboard and stainless steel (cans) and to a lesser degree glass would cover all running costs, separation costs and more.

Yudu392

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 26 in Discussion

OMG, sorry my poor english BizziLizzi,

I wanted to say that people can bring their waste oil to our restaurant and pour into our waste containers and the waste oil collecting company take it away and re use it.

We care food security very much and have attended several seminars about this topic.

yorgozlu, thank you very much for your explanation

girne 29

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 14:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 26 in Discussion

newlad

'People litter and pollute,because thats all they know.Not there fault really.Its just the fact that they dont know any alternative.'

You talk as if they have a mental age of three,or are senile. If I threw rubbish into the back of their bmw or Landcruiser, I think they would quickly tell me an alternative,

'They dont know an alternative,' ---

Even a child learns that going to the toilet is an alternative to waliking around with mess in his pants.

So they dont know what a rubbish bin is for? They dont know to put their rubbish in a bag and walk 20ft to a bin at Turtle Beach ?.Or they dont know that beer bottles should go in the bins next to the seats down from the dome to the harbour, instead of under said seats.

Like nobody has been outside the TRNC and seen how rubbish bins are used

Forget the recycling ,just get them to stop littering the land for the moment.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 18:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 26 in Discussion

Thanks for the explanation re oil. Probably my fault - brain going soft in the heat late at night. Good idea Yudu, well done.

Marion - yes the schoolchildren's project was one I had in mind. Perhaps we do use different Supermarkets, and it i a long time since I could afford to visit Paris!

I still think my comment re re-use of plastic bags is relevant though.

Equally or even more serious tomy mind is the dumping of large items (frigs, sofas, builders etc. in beauty spots) These cant be done by poorer individuals as they must need a large vehicle to get them there.

Marion

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 22:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 26 in Discussion

Agree BizziLizzi with your last comment. I am amazed at the effort taken to dump rubbish on someone else' doorstep, or down a ravine in a beauty spot. There are people concerned about this, but uit is all about education ,l isn't it, and I reckon it is the children of today that will become better 'green' adults in the future, while perhaps making tiny dents in their parents' understanding. Slow task, but let';s hope it does change in the future.

meanwhile, the streets of london have become rubbish dumps compared to how they were when I was a child, so thoughtlessness is not limited to North Cyprus.

BizziLizzi

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 26 in Discussion

Yes, Marion, Brits cant really complain about rubbish - as I mentioned in an earlier post, the British havent really succeeded in handling rubbish very successfully.

Part of the trouble is we dont keep up with the implications of technology. This thead has reminded me that several years ago I went to a talk about the birds of Cyprus. One endangered species was , if I remember rightly, Eleanors Falcon because it lost its source of food. In the old days when a donkey died they left it outside the village and scavengers, particularly raptors, cleaned up. The rusty tractors which replaced the donkeys werent so digestible!

Puts a new light o "drop the dead donkey"

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.