North Cyprus Tourist Board - Medical treatment in South (on behalf of a friend)
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Medical treatment in South (on behalf of a friend)

Medical treatment in South (on behalf of a friend)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

BoTanica

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 14:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Does any one know the proceedure for taking someone South for treatment. She is a british passport holder. Thank you.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

You need an E11 card or they will only ask you for one when you get there if you dont have one they will tell you how to get it. I got mine online and someone brought it out for me. With that they will treat you for almost nothing. But if its an emergency they may treat you anyway but i dont really know.

rejela

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Been there done that etc.

We were advised to take my dad to the South by a TC Doctor back in April, as he had heart problems and was very ill. We arrived at the Nicosia general hospital near to Ikea. Were had to wait almost 4 hrs in Casualty, to be told it was not an emergency, why did you bring him here? After lots of dirty looks we eventually got him seen by a doctor who told us he would take two litres of fluid and then send my father home. We were advised to take him to a private doctor the next day. My father is suffering from an enlarged heart and was about 20kg over his normal weight due to water retention.

We brought him back North and we spoke to the kind TC doctor who said he needed to be admitted immediately, which he was. He spent two weeks on the ward where he was treated very well and made a speedy recovery. Afterwards his Dr informed us that they thought that he would not pull through. The care in the North including medication cost about £500. He was treated with

rejela

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 14:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

continued.

respect in TRNC, but was treated like something left on the pavement that seems to attach its self to the bottom of your shoe. May be we were just very very very unlucky, or could it have been just down to the simple fact that he is British.

Before you rush off South, we have very good doctors here in the North.

Anyway, wishing your friend lots of luck because at times like this we need it.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 15:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

I thought you could only get an E11 if you were an EU resident.

If you live in the TRNC how do you get one please?

philbailey

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Msg5, by keeping an address in the UK

bit like benefit fraud ?

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
24/08/2011 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

The E11 has been replaced by the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card). It is only available to residents of the EU and is designed to provide cover whilst you are visiting another EU country.

A state hospital in the South MAY ask you to provide details of your 'visit' to the RoC to validate use of the EHIC.

Details are below.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcareabroad/EHIC/Pages/Whatiscovered.aspx

Regards

Paul

BoTanica

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks everyone!!

Agobard

Message Posted:
26/08/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Having had a fair amount to do with hospitals on both sides, I have to say that I wouldn't choose any of the hospitals in the south over, for instance, the Near East here. The only one in the south that I would rate as being very good is the Bank of Cyprus Oncology Centre in Nicosia and they are excellent. I also understand (but have no personal knowledge of) that the American Heart Institute is good. The private hospitals in the south are very expensive compared to the north. State hospitals, like Nicosia and Limassol General, are a nightmare - queues for everything. I'm sure that the casualty departments there will treat emergencies and probably with an EHIC card for anybody on holiday but I suspect it would not be a good idea to tell them that you live in the north! Do bear in mind that quite a few GCs are coming over here to use medical and dental facilities and diagnostic services.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.