North Cyprus Tourist Board - HELP Required Computer been hacked
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > HELP Required Computer been hacked

HELP Required Computer been hacked

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Guys, as you may be aware my email has been hacked and is sending out a virus to all my contacts. Is there anyone out there that can tell me how to stop this or report the problem to MSN.

Thanks you

Jodie

erolz

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

There are two 'things' that could have been compromised here.

One your computer itself could be compromised, that is somehow a virus has got onto it and is still there. THis is the more likely.

Two you MSN email account could have been compromised, that is someone has got the account password for that email account.

They may both have happened and one can lead to the other. The first priority is to get your PC secure and clear of any virus software it may have on it. This may or may not be easy depending on what specific virus it has on it , if any. You do not need to contact MSN if this is all that has happened.

If your MSN account password has been compromised then you will need to contact MSN, but you do not want to do this until you are sure your machine is clear of any viruses or do it from another machine that is clean.

kiwikid

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Hi jodie,

We had this problem a few months ago, unfortunately someone had hacked our web site and was sending out over a thousand messages a day. We saved all important docs on to an external hard drive then resat the computer to its factory setting, my husband also had to change our IP address as that is what they had hack in to, it wasn't to hard to do and he got all the info from the internet. Now we have no problems. We also have a very good virus protection on now.

Good luck, maybe some one else may knows of an easier way of doing it, but this way worked for us.

Angela

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Thank you Angela, i will get my husband to have a go tonight.

britvic

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 14:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Jodienjon, This may seem a little obvious however, if someone has managed to get your MSN password, make sure you haven't used that particular password for anything else, change it straight away, I am constantly warning my Brother about this as he uses the same password for everything.

Vicki

Jodienjon

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

thanks vicki, im going through changing all passwords now..... gonna have to make a note of them all!

lovinit

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Best thing to do as well, if you have ever used another computer say in and office at an internet cafe or friends house contact them as well to see if they have had any similar problems!!!

I once used a computer at an office belonging to a friend, had Horrendous problems after that. Transpired, another person in office was responsible ! they hacked in after me to my email address.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

@ msg 3, kiwikid: Sorry, too late for you, but it can be done much easier. If someone has access to your web site that person must have obtained your FTP (File Transfer Protocol) password. Often such criminals place some unwanted HTML code on top of a home page - suddenly unwanted advertisements (often sex) may appear. Or they control email on your site. All you have to do is change your password at once (in a control panel provided by your hosting provider) and find/remove the unwanted HTML code. Job done.

FTP: If you use a PC and want to know more about FTP and SAFE FTP - check here:

▶ [ http://www.google.com/search?q=safe+ftp+password&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs= ]

PASSWORD(S): If you need a randomly generated safe password - check here:

▶ [ http://www.google.com/search?q=generate+safe+passwords&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs= ].

kiwikid

Message Posted:
25/08/2011 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks Hans,

We did try changing our passwords and our website servicer tried as well, they were the ones that suggested we change our IP address, it worked so thats all that matters but thanks for your suggestion will remember that for the next time. ( I'm sure there will be one)

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.