North Cyprus Tourist Board - tide tiimes for fishing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > tide tiimes for fishing

tide tiimes for fishing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Fishing in North Cyprus

serks

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 09:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

can anyone help, is there a website for tides in north cyprus..

thanx

hodgeliz

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Tides are virtually non existant here

martinD41

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

This is the Eastern Med....Tides as such are negligible.... And shore fishing is a waste of time IMHO..

Panchocat

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Hubby rescued a harpoon fisherman yesterday. A big fish on his line had dragged him way out. If hubby hadn't been passing in the boat I don't know what would have happened to this guy. He was exhausted and clinging to his buoy and not able to swim to shore against the flow. Not a good idea to go harpoon fishing alone IMHO.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Panchocat/Msg 4:

The situation you described just goes to prove how essential it is to always carry a line-cutter capable diving knife when spearfishing, or even merely snorkelling. I bet the guy let go/lost of his speargun - but obviously not soon enough!

How lucky your husband happened to be in the vicinity!

Panchocat

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 20:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

So true Tenkatou and exactly what my hubby said about the knife.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Panchocat/Msg 6:

Thinking about such a scenario, it's probably quite likely that the spearfisherman got tangled up in the line that is attached from the speargun to the harpoon and was unable to, either divest himself of the speargun, or to cut it, because he didn't carry a knife - there have been too many precedents of such a situation. Again, and I reiterate, how bloody lucky your hubby happened to be around at the time and, may I congratulate your husband on being SO ASTUTE; because with the noise of the boat and the concentration needed to guide the boat, he could have been totally forgiven if he hadn't spotted this guy.

The interesting question that immediately comes to mind, and I'm sure your husband will be asking the same question: what sort of fish in TRNC waters would be powerful enough to drag the spearfisherman out to sea?

Firstly, Cypriots are not renowned to 'free-dive' very deep. I'm guessing this guy speared a large ray in relatively shallow water - Cont'd...

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 20:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Msg 7 Continued:

Actually, there are, although rare, some quite large rays in Cyprus waters; whether they can be classified as an 'Eagle Ray', I'm not sure - neverteless, if you spot a ray with a 'wingspan' of more than a metre - leave it alone! In order to kill any ray with a speargun, it is essential to hit it right between the eyes - otherwise, you're going to have a real tussle on your hands and risk serious injury - even if it's not a Stingray.

May I stress that I have NEVER spearfished in Cyprus waters, due to my conservation beliefs - but I have spearfished in seas that are abundant with fish and have a normal, balanced ecosystem.

I am totally against spearfishing in most places in the Mediterranean - the 'Med' needs to recover - which it would, in not too many years, if not so predated and decimated by humankind.

Navek

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 02:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Hi serks,

Some weather info here, no tides though...

http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=4872

Good luck,

Navek

Panchocat

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Thanks Tenkatou and the fisherman said it over and over once he was in the boat.

Our 10 year old visitor who was also on the boat will certainly have a tale to tell when he returns to the UK!

It's exactly because of the concentration needed with the boat that he saw the fisherman. There are a lot of divers and snorkellers out in the stretch of coastal waters to the east of Girne and we are on the look out for them all the time.

Often, quite far out, there are snorkellers with no markers so you are just looking for plumes of water.

This guy did have a marker buoy, thankfully for him.

He didn't speak too much English but, in the universal language of fishermen, described the fish with his hands.

A ray would fit with his hand signs.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 20:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

The scenario is likely to have been that the spearfisherman spotted the ray basking on a sandy bottom in shallow water, as this is where they mostly forage. The guy shot the ray in one 'wing', which would make it pretty wild, but not incapacitate it. The spearfisherman probably tried to haul it up - very difficult, because a ray sticks to the bottom just like an upturned plate in a kitchen sink full of water - practically impossible to prise loose! Maybe he did pull up the ray and it encircled him with the line from the speargun to the harpoon. The ray, if about one metre wingspan, would then have the power to drag the guy out to sea. The guy would be frantically trying to get free by chucking his speargun away, and eventually the line either broke, or slipped off.

You did not mention whether the guy had hung on to his speargun when you rescued him?

cyprusairsoft

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

serves him right leave the fish alone

Panchocat

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Hi again, yes he had the spear gun but the metal hook device (The barb or lewer? can't spell it) had broken off the front.

He handed the gun, unloaded into the boat before he was hauled in himself.

Beggers belief to me that he was out there without a buddy.

wsgolfm

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 08:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

I think there is none.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 09:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Panchocat/Msg 13: 'Beggers belief to me that he was out there without a buddy.'

Well, of course, how absolutely right you are!

Anyone who goes swimming, snorkelling, or scuba-diving alone is asking for trouble!

Anyone who ventures into water more than waist deep without wearing swimfins is also asking for trouble - fins, depending on the type, give a person seven times the propulsion power of bare feet - that's why fish and marine mammals have them. Swimming in 'horseshoe' type bays can be very risky, due to the pattern of currents, or swimming off headlands.

Spearuns sold/used in Cyprus are the pneumatic type [air pump] - these are deemed illegal in most ecologically minded countries worldwide, which only allow the stretch rubber types to be sold/used.

Fortunately, for the guy you so fortuitously rescued, the barbed head of his speargun shaft broke off. Most spearguns are sold with aluminium shafts.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 10:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Msg 15 Cont'd:

They are generally made of fairly poor quality aluminium and have a threaded end, which the barbed head screws on to. I am guessing that the thread on the end of the shaft was well corroded by salt water, which is why the barb broke off. They stand a better chance of not doing so if the thread is greased - many people don't think of doing this. They should, because you need to remove the barbed head every time you spear a fish, in order to be able to get the fish off the shaft. It's no use trying to pull the barb back out, as the hinged portion won't allow so.

Serious spearfishermen usually dump these aluminium shafts and replace with good quality stainless steel. I've seen Cypriots, who have shot Moray eels [God knows what for - I suppose it moves!] end up with the aluminium shafts of their spearguns resembling a corkscrew - that's how strong a small Moray,or Conger is!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.