North Cyprus Tourist Board - Yellowing of items in swimming pool too!!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Yellowing of items in swimming pool too!!

Yellowing of items in swimming pool too!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Swimming Pool threads posted so far

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 22:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 27 in Discussion

Hi all, after seeing the closed thread about Zerochlor and the yellowing of skin, hair and other things.

We have had exactly the same problem.

Now hold on before you have a go at me..I AM NOT BLAMING ZCHLOR OR HAVING A POP AT HIM!

I find David a most helpful individual and we have been using Zchlor for a long while now and will continue to do so. I would (and have) encourage others to use it too so no I AM NOT trying to hurt anyones business or reputation.

We have had clothes completely ruined by something thats in our pool that reacts with everything it touches.

NO IT'S NOT suntan lotion. Discounted this by putting a white T-shirt in the pool and yes it went yellow almost immediately. We also tried (as David suggested) 'wetting' another white T-shirt prior to putting in the water. No difference, still yellowed almost immediatley. We also got a slight yellowing of the skin and hair, but mostly clothes swimming costumes and even the lilo's and inflatable toys.

Cont:

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 27 in Discussion

I have asked our pool co' and they don't seem have a clue. They told me it could be the PH level?

Doesn't seem right to me but does anyone have any idea what it could be.

The levels in the pool seem ok (the pool man checked them whilst I was there and he said they were) but I don't know what he checked for so I don't know if they're right.. He does add a little chlorine to the pool as David again suggested. The water looks clean and clear (I know that's not an accurate reading..LOL) but it sounds like others are having the same problem. We backwashed three times (over 10 days) and saw a lot of yellow in the filter being washed out and hoped that would be it sorted but it's still doing it.

Does anyone have an answer or an idea about it's cause.

I definitely do not want to stop using Zerochlor but I could be persuaded to change pool maintenence co's so again if anyone has a suggestion for a good comapny doing Zchlor pools in Lapta let me know, PS it's a 12x6m pool.

Regards, John.

spider

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 27 in Discussion

It seem's that most folk feel all who have a pool need also to have an outside shower ? We have never had a problem and neither do we have and outside shower.

Spider,X

fosterscan

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 27 in Discussion

Sounds to me like your blameing zerochlor not the cleaning company then why change the company what difference will that make.Any one want to jump on the band waggon ?

vonny

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 27 in Discussion

maybe someones peeing too much in the pool!

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 27 in Discussion

Hi Spider, we actually do have an outside shower and I agree with the previous posts about showering before you get in the pool. I know it's sometimes impractical but I guess it would help not to have all those sun creams, lotions, deodorants etc not entering the water.

Msg 4, Fosterscan, I actually went out of my way NOT TO BLAME Zchlor as he has been the most helpful person to date with this little problem! Read my post again and stop posting stupid comments!!

Vonny, I wish it were that simple....LOL

Regards, John.

moxie

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 27 in Discussion

surely water will not wash off oils !!

fosterscan

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 27 in Discussion

No read it again same conclusion you blame the product zerochlor NOT david personally but you ask on here if we know what the issue is, if your experienced company nor David knows why would we ?????? you are adding to giving a product a bad name without evidence sort it out in private then when you have all the facts then tell us (only my opinion)

babydoll

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 27 in Discussion

I've never experienced this having a chlorine pool but can imagine the pain of staining clothes and furniture, its left me very intrigued and I can not wait for the answer to the problem

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
29/08/2011 23:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 27 in Discussion

No mate, NEVER ONCE said i thought it was Zchlor!! I actually said "something that's in our pool"

I have recommended Zchor to others so why would I try to give it/him a bad name??? I would recommend it to all!!

All I want is some help to find a solution to a problem. I have tried my pool company and they don't know, I have tried David and he has helped all he can and I still have the problem. I just thought that someone on here might have a solution that's all. No motive, no mud slinging, no agenda. Just a person who is looking for some help. If I had all the facts (and thus a solution) I wouldn't need to ask would I?????

I though that's what forums were for, asking questions and trying to answer others..I must be mistaken because according to you I should solve all my own problems then share all my findings once resolved. Is that correct?

Babydoll, no furniture has been ruined just clothes....

Regards, John.

fosterscan

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 27 in Discussion

Sorry John that cleared that up hope you find the answer soon

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 00:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 27 in Discussion

Perhaps you have dodgy water in your pool, where did you get it from??

ttoli

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 00:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 27 in Discussion

Well, I for one have always been sceptical of Zchlor, BUT having seen the results in two mates pools(that have recently converted), I think a trip to Popeyes dwelling is long overdue...........

philbailey

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 02:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 27 in Discussion

Sack your pool cleaner

If I have a service that is no good I out them

It is like saying Dyson or jif are crap

because your cleaner is no good .

japeal

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 07:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 27 in Discussion

Do not believe it is Zerochlor, just had grandchildren over for 5 weeks, yes grandaughters swimming costume went a little yellow, but am sure was due to suncream. Could it be pool cleaners? Do not know, we use Pooltech out near Tatlisu, never had problems.

sienna

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 08:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 27 in Discussion

So you all have yellowing of your swimmers and selves and hair but its not the water ? - well the common factor is the water - not saying it is the product but could be the balance of the product with the chlorine that may also be being added

Definately the pool though - one advantage its better than being green

proger1

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 27 in Discussion

John, could you please contact David at zerochlor on any of the following systems.

Tel: +90 533 830 5302

Skype Name : zerochlor

e-mail address : info@zerochlor.co.uk

Although David does not think it is zerochlor that is causing this, he wishes to assist those with or without zerochlor pools where he can.

Rottolover

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 27 in Discussion

Gee there certainly are a good few polemicists on this forum! It seems some people just sit behind their screens waiting for the next thread to appear so they can jump in and contradict it.

I changed from chlorine to zerochlor about 3 months ago, and have yet to notice any yellow staining of bathers or towels. I don't use suncream. Surely, unless my logic is way off, if zerochlor was causing these stains, it would be happening in all the pools that use it, and not just some? Or is it only the pools in Lapta? I understand that the water quality here is not good, and that there are different sources, like springs, dams, wells, tanks. Perhaps it is a combination of water source and chemicals?

All I can testify to is that my own pool, in Esentepe, is fine, and the water is definitely clear, soft and unyellowed.

ozankoys

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 27 in Discussion

What about having the pool water tested? At this time of year when the water table is very low due to the excessive use of chemical fertilisers and pesticides here, probably these chemicals are leeching into the wells and could be causing the yellowing.

Are all these pools with a problem in Lapta? Are they using the same water supplier? Maybe someone could collate the information properly instead of blaming the pool cleaners (unlikely I think) or Zerochlor (why some pools and not others).

We have had yellow stains on sheets and towels in previous summers but not this year. However we have not had any summer visitors and always thought it was most likely caused by sun cream.

deputydawg

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 12:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 27 in Discussion

Purely anecdotal but it might give a hint. Our neighbour who has self maintained her pool for 10 years without any problems whatsoever recently had a group of visitors who stayed 3 weeks and used sun tan lotions regularly but not the type which only needs to be applied just once per day. By the third week all the staining mentioned in the earlier posts occurred and when the pool was backwashed the filter was beset by a yellow scum. Personally I use zerochlor in the pool and have had no such problems but all our visitors use the 24 hour type sun lotion. We have noted that sun lotion newly applied makes yellow stains on plastic sun loungers and their cushions plus on soft furnishings and clothing if it is not absorbed into the skin of those using it. Obviously I have no scientific knowledge of the subject but my guess is that the problems are likely to be caused by an overdose of oils into the pools.

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 27 in Discussion

Thanks for replies, and glad I cleared it up Fosterscan. Yes the pool is in Lapta. I never really thought it may be the water but I guess it's a possibility. The water (I think as I don't follow the tanker) is from Lapta area. Also I think (but am not an expert so take with pinch of salt) that Sienna may be right and it's the balance of the entire contents of the pool and not just one individual component? Sun cream???? maybe, but like I said we put new and clean white t-shirts in and still they 'yellowed'. Maybe it's sun cream that is still existing in the pool? Also it stained the inside of my swim shorts (the mesh pants bit) and I don't put suncream on 'down there' Also prior to our visit in May this year the pool had not been used for around 8 months so I would guess any suncream present in the water would have been filtered out. Rottolover, I agree and doubt it is just Zchlor as we would all see it but maybe our pool (like others) has a combination of factors causing it.

Cont:

Johnatcastle

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 17:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 27 in Discussion

Like I said have asked the pool company and they just don't know. I am not sure what exactly they have tested for so I can't even report back to you. They seem as confused as me.

Maybe someone (an expert on pools I hope) has a super duper tester and can check for all sorts of chemical imbalances that may cause this. I have 'googled' the problem and it all seems to point to chlorine. Maybe it's too much that the pool co are putting in but when tested it has a really low reading.

Thanks Proger will contact David, I hope he doesn't think I am having a 'go' at him or Zchlor...

proger1

Message Posted:
30/08/2011 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 27 in Discussion

He does realise that you weren't having a go at him or his product or indeed the company, he wanted you to call or contact him because he has an idea what it might be but can't answer on here for the moment.

tarry67

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 27 in Discussion

Proger:

So why can't you answer on David's behalf as you are doing now if he has an idea what is causing the problem, and put people's minds at rest that are having this problem.

Maybe its the Lapta area that is having the problem because we buy the product from an outlet in this area and not the Catalkoy side?

proger1

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 27 in Discussion

tarry67, if you follow my posts I hope that you would realise I do try to help when I can however this is not something I am very knowledgable about.

I would say however that I think that even if David were sitting next to me, he would not attempt a broad spectrum answer that could make things worse for some, better for others and no effect for the remainder.

He did say that sienna was closest to the problem by virtue of stating it is a balance of the water and chemicals. In order for David to suggest answers he would need to know whether it is a zerochlor pool with pottasium monopersulphate, a zerochlor pool with 10% chlorine as the oxidiser or a pure chlorine pool. He also needs to know the PH level of the pool and in a perfect world, the total alkalinity.

If every person in Lapta has the same answers to all of these points then I think a broad spectrum answer would be possible, otherwise contact David by 1 of the above methods for individual advice please

Cocklebay

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 27 in Discussion

Yellow staining!!!? In all my years in Cyprus we have never experienced this problem! Please don't start blaming the product or the pool cleaner, just get the water etc tested by an expert!!! However we do insist that people shower before using the pool as some of the designer oils do play havoc with the filters!!!

Dunkindonut

Message Posted:
01/09/2011 05:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 27 in Discussion

have you tried Pools 'R' Us in lapta,they know what they are taking about

and are very good.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.