North Cyprus Tourist Board - Changing Vista to Windows
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Changing Vista to Windows

Changing Vista to Windows

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read Sea Vistas Apartments Catalkoy North Cyprus property review

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

How difficult is it to do this and is it expensive? Does it need to be done by a professional?

DD

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 10:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Daisy, it's not difficult, but you must read about upgrading Vista to Windows 7 first. If you don't understand what you are going to read here - don't do it yourself:

http://www.google.com/search?q=updating+vista+to+windows+7&hl=en&num=10&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

Tip 1: FIRSTLY spend some money on a back up hard drive. You will keep the existing Operating System (Vista) and all your software and files - in case something goes wrong.

Tip 2: Buy an ORIGINAL copy of Windows 7. You will never have any problem updating an ORIGINAL Windows 7 OS. And you'll have full support by Microsoft. There is NO original Windows 7 OS available for 35 TL.

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Cheers Hans...i am assuming you mean that the folk advertising Windows on here is not an original version?

Where would i be able to buy an original version of Windows? (knowing that North Cyprus relies a lot on unoriginal items i'm guessing this may be rather hard to find)

again thank you.

DD

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Daisy, I don't want to damage the local businesses going into details, but if you compare the (lowest) prices for Windows 7 upgrades - I'm sure you can make up your own mind:

▶ [ http://is.gd/voouhE/keywords_cost_of_upgrading_to_windows_7 ].

From my first computer in 1982 I've always paid for my software and I've never been sorry. The problems you > may < encounter with hacked software are numerous, always very annoying and often time consuming to solve. It's a choice.

(I'm sure that many complaints about many things on this board were written on computers with some hacked Windows version... ).

Where to buy (an upgrade of) Windows 7: I've had good service and advice at Comac in Girne (next to Mr. Pound), but heard good reviews of Laconic also. Anyway: good luck and as always with computers and computer software: better safe than sorry...

proger1

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Daisy, Hans suggestion would be my first preference also but there is easier ways if you are not sure.

Windows has a downloadable program that will check your existing system to see if it can be upgraded to win 7, it will tell you if any hardware on your laptop is not compatible or has no available driver.

As for saving your data, as I said above, Hans's way is the best however if you are upgrading to win 7 the data should not be lost. If you decide to do a full installation of win 7 it will over right all the data in which case everything could be lost. The installation program says it puts the data into a file called windows.old but I have never checked to see what it moves.

It isn't hard as Hans mentioned but there are a couple of points that if done wrong can screw it all up

I would suggest finding a nice person who has done it a few times before that is near to you and asking them to help.

As for the original windows 7 disc, I don't know where you can get them in the N

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Many thanks to you both!! Great advice!! All advice noted and observed.

DD

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

@ Proger1: (...) As for saving your data, as I said above, Hans's way is the best however if you are upgrading to win 7 the data should not be lost. (...)

▶ I think we agree on the fact that a clone on a cheap external hard drive (of her current hard drive) is the safest way to keep the Vista OS, her software and files?

If her new Windows 7 OS works without problems, Daisy could then use the back up drive for regular back ups of the drive with the new Windows 7 OS.

I underline the importance of backing up regularly having learned the hard way in the past. ONE DAY ANY CHEAP OR EXPENSIVE HARD DRIVE WILL CRASH AND WITHOUT A BACK UP EVERYTHING ON IT WILL USUALLY BE GONE FOR EVER.

spider

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks Hans < Everything will be gone forever !! > and ever=FEAR !

How much would it cost for the windows 7 Please ? Maybe something on my Christmas list.

God save my PHOTO'S

Thanks.

Spider,X

TopTen

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

We paid £80 to have our's done and had no problems since

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

@ msg 8, TopTen: (...) We paid £80 to have our's done and had no problems since (...)

▶ In TRNC?

▶ Did you get a CD/DVD with the Microsoft logo on it?

▶ Did you get the original CD/DVD cover with the serial number(s) on it?

daisy dukes

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Same question as Hans but for msg 9.....

DD

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
31/08/2011 18:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

@ TopTen: I kindly request a reply to my questions in message 10 - and I'm sure a lot of C44 readers are interested also. Thank you.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.