North Cyprus Tourist Board - North Cyprus schools
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North Cyprus schools

North Cyprus schools

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

spurs

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 13:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Hi everyone.I am after information about schools in northern cyprus.Could anyone recommend schools that are either private or government funded.I am trying to find out costings aswell.It will be for two english girls that are 9 and 5 years old.We currently live in the uk but every holiday is getting harder to leave so any info on this matter would be very much appreciated as it may be life changing as to moving there full time.We would be based in Esentepe area.Many thanks

murat2009

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Try Girne American University which is good around.

bigOz

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 14:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Esentepe is not the ideal place where proximity to schools are concerned. I suggest you go for a school that will provide daily transport - I think the best of the worst at the moment is ESK (English School Kyrenia). It would be closest to Esentepe and I do believe they provide transport.

As for your 5 year old, what a great chance for her to become bilingual from the start! I would suggest you enroll her with the local nursery, to be followed by the local junior school later. Once she is at high school age then you can think about the alternatives (both in English and Turkish). The 9 year old will find it difficult to adopt to local schools due to language problems - it has to be a "must" for her to attend a private school where she can study in English. But hey don't come cheap!

The email address is: info@englishschoolkyrenia.org

The website; http://www.englishschoolkyrenia.org/

Marion

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Or the Kyrenia School at Bellapaisa, or the British Academy as above, of try the State school at Esentepe (they would have to learn Turkish, but it owuldn't cost you. You will obviously have a bit of travelling each day, for all the schools private ones, are in Kyrenia, or \Lefkosia. It would be best to hear from parents who have children already at the various schools to helpyuou decide. Search the web and see what you can find!

yrret

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 15:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the school buses only go as far as the Acopulco hotel area, so you would have about a 10 mile drive each way to drop the child off, for it to then have a 30min plus school bus ride (to ESK with stops etc).

ESK is by far the nearest for you, school run yourself would be around 30mins each way, add another 15-20 mins to GAU and yet another 15 mins to the old Sunny Lane.

Don't forget PE kit or anything, a long way to nip back for it!

Marion

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 18:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

iNTERESTING that Bigoz wrote at the same time as I, and I had not seen their posting. So we are saying pretty much the same thing, as is yrret. Geography can be a real 'bind' - I know from places I have lived when getting children to school, and that was state schools, and the other problem is that it is difficult for your children to make really good friends if they live miles apart. I think that the local school is a great place for youngsters to learn the language and meet the people.

I would find it extremely difficult to make a decision on schooling for my children here, especially if living out at Esentepe. So I appreciate that is a tough one, but I think we three who have answered with a common voice could be the best advice for you. (and I am not being 'big headed' - just considerate)

spurs

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 22:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Thankyou all for your time.It has all been very interesting reading.I can now do some research of my own with your kind advice in tow.Thanks again.

rejela

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

My daughter's school friends travel daily from Essentepe to Lefkosa on the school bus service, which is provided by the government. Some passengers pay, others receive the service free of charge. It is possible to take one of these school buses and then change for a private school bus once you reach the pick up area. More difficult than a direct service but it can be done.

As far as fees go at private schools, our son attended the Near East College from the age of 11, we paid £1700 per year until he finished a year ago. Yes the current rates are more but much more affordable than a private school in the UK.

Marion

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

and good luck! the education and happiness of your children is very important. there are several parents I know who swear by the school their child attends, but I also know that periodically changes are made. so, try what you think is best - and I for one would be very interested to know wha tyou decide. As I said - good luck in your search.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
04/09/2011 22:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

spurs. Did you not follow up your intention to visit the schools you said you would do in June 2010, I think that would be the best way as so many people have different ideas about the schools in NC.

spurs

Message Posted:
06/09/2011 00:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

WOW.Thats some memory you have there woodspeckie.Yes we did look at a couple of schools,then the move abroad became an impossability for a while but it has become a possability again so this is really a plea for fresh opinions.(I am going to spare you any details.)Once again thanks to everyone for your kind help.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.