North Cyprus Tourist Board - Where can I buy Caustic Soda?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Where can I buy Caustic Soda?

Where can I buy Caustic Soda?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi,

Does anyone out there know where I can but causic soda/ sodium hydroxide preferably in the Kyrenia area?

Thanks

martinD41

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

What is it for?,There may be other products you could use..........

keithcaley

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 09:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

It's sold in all the supermarkets as drain cleaner, usually in small sachets, sufficient to unblock a sink etc. Not much difference in the price between the Mr Muscle brands & the local stuff. Look on the bottom shelf, near rge bleach and Tuz Ruhu. If you want bigger quantities, Mr Pound sells Sodium Carbonate Decahydrate (I think!) in 1 Kilo bags - known as 'Washing Soda' but does the same thing - degreases (by turning fats to soap) , can be added to washing machines to reduce the amount of detergent required, unblocks drains, etc...

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Harv, if it is to clean your exhaust baffles out on the Suzuki X7 or similar we always used to do it with an oxy-acetylene welding torch. I would not advise you do this to the chrome silencer section, just the removable baffles. If it is a scooter exhaust you are better off cutting it open and using the same method, then weld back together. Just a wild guess that is what you want it for?

Mike

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 13:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies......

Yes MiketheBike it is for a 2-stroke exhaust. Unfortunatly the baffles are not removeable. It seems a shame to cut open the exhaust.

I tried the soda from Mr Pound which did work but needed to repeat the method 3 times to get a result (de-coking).

I hear caustic soda does a better job.

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
05/09/2011 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

What bike is it for, caustic soda does work to a degree but sometimes dislodges pieces of carbon that then block up far worse in a different part of the exhaust. If the exhaust is badly clogged up, caustic soda will not work in my experience. I have decoked hundreds of two strokes over the years, sometimes from a commercial point of view it was sometimes cheaper and better to buy a new exhaust, yes I know some scooter exhausts cost upward of £70 to £200, but by the time you have spent three or four hours trying to decarbonise, end up cutting the exhaust open and welding back together to the customers satisfaction, it was in the long run the cheaper option and no comebacks.

Yamaha's were very sympathetic when the BW's 50cc and 80cc needed decarbonising after a few thousand miles and reduced the price of the exhausts, customer naturally still no too happy about paying for a replacement exhaust within the warranty period. The small diameter of the tail pipes did not help matters.

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
06/09/2011 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Hi Mike,

Its for my imports (Falcon 100cc) but use the Yamaha Axis motor. Although I can get aftermarket exhausts in the south my bikes have a fatter rear tyre and when trying to fit one of these exhausts they foul the rear tyre. But hey, this is Cyprus!

MiketheBike

Message Posted:
06/09/2011 14:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Cut the back off approx 4 inches in from the rear of the silencer box, not the tail pipe, burn out with oxy acetylene and reweld. Once the carbon deposits are burning you turn off the acetylene and just use pure oxygen to burn out the deposits. A neat seam weld and some matt black paint, job done.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.