North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border insurance info please!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border insurance info please!

Border insurance info please!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

» See North Cyprus Insurance Related Threads posted so far

» Read Information about North Cyprus Property Insurance

Pete123

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Hi, we recently bought a car privately and the previous owner of the car lives in the uk and will not be back in trnc until october when we plan to change the registration documents. We have the car and documents and were hopefully planning to go through to the south to pick up close family members from Larnaca airport in 2 weeks time - but can we get insurance at border if we are not the registered owners of car yet? any advice gratefully received as we have never crossed in car before - thanks.

Pete and Becky

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Pete123

I have sent you an e mail.

Pete123

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 21:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Thanks Barry - got yr email - looks like it wont be possible as do not think we have the form you mentioned - which is a pity as would have been worth a try - so i guess there is no way around it - will have to arrange through someone else to get them collected - thanks for taking time to reply - much appreciated.

Pete

Whistler

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

On the subject of the border. I have valid insurance until next weekend (17th) but in the meantime the white paper you have to have from the police ran out on 31st August. I went last week to renew this, gave my log book, then my driving licence. That is where the problem started. She looked at me and said `Your driving licence has expired you cannot drive) This is an english driving licence with actually expires on 27th February 2012 However, the photocard licence has a different expiry date on it which I have since found out is the expiry of my photograph which apparently has to be renewed every 10 years. A kind man behind me pointed out to her that the green paper bit was actually my driving licence but she would not have it and shoved everything back over the counter at me. We then got in the car and continued through the last checkpoint and as we were approaching the entrance to come back a guy jumped out and directed us back through (which I was going to do anyway).

Whistler

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

2) This was very annoying and frustrating especially in the heat. The reason I am posting this is because you need to check the pink card which is counterpart to your actual driving license or you will have the same problem. i will now have to get another photo, and a form V10 from the DVLA which will be time consuming and inconvenient. I honestly did not think that the photo id card and the actual driving licence expiry would be different.

Panchocat

Message Posted:
08/09/2011 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Yes it's a pain and has been pointed out on earlier threads about the photo expiry. I wonder why they do that? But then again I guess a passport photo is only valid for 10 years as well.

Pete123, a friend of ours borrowed a neighbour's car and took it across the border, buying their own insurance, the car didn't belong to them and they didn't have a problem. Not sure if the car had the police certificate in the owner's name.

Might be worth trying to go before you are due to collect your friends and seeing what happens.

Cazleo

Message Posted:
09/09/2011 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

With regard to the photcard expiry, although yours has expired, you can get the tax done using someone else's non-expired card you can then get the insurance in your name as the insurance offices aren't concerned about expired photocards!

Whistler

Message Posted:
09/09/2011 13:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Cazleo. Thanks for the advice but surely if you borrow someone elses, it will have their photo on it and not yours.

britvic

Message Posted:
09/09/2011 14:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

Did you know that as long as your passport is up to date you can apply for your driving license photo on line? They just use your passport photo.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070?CID=Motoring&PLA=url_mon&CRE=renew_my_photo

Panchocat

Message Posted:
09/09/2011 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Didn't know that Britvic.

Thanks that's useful to know .

Whistler

Message Posted:
09/09/2011 18:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Will give it a try tonight. thanks

ClareW

Message Posted:
10/09/2011 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

I used the online service and DVLA sent it out to a UK address for me the same day ! Great service.

Soon2beThere

Message Posted:
14/09/2011 19:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

HELP!

What about living in the North but going to the South side in Nicosia a few times a week? I plan to keep a new horse at a yard near Nicosia and even though it will be a half hour drive for me most days... will this be a problem with car insurance, and crossing everyday? thanks ))))))))

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.