North Cyprus Tourist Board - New Aussie arrival to North Cyprus-Looking for help re:Temp Residency
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > New Aussie arrival to North Cyprus-Looking for help re:Temp Residency

New Aussie arrival to North Cyprus-Looking for help re:Temp Residency

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

AussieLass

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 16:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Hello all,

I am a 32 year old Aussie recently arrived in Kyrenia on a 3 month tourist visa.

I am keen to live and work (English Language Teacher) in Cyprus for up to 2 years

I arrived 3 days ago, is it too early for me to apply for temporary residency?

Does temporary residency ALSO provide me with the right to work in North Cyprus?

Or do I need to arrange a job offer / work visa in addition to the temporary residency permit?

I have not yet been offered a position as I have only just arrived... I just want to get started on the admin of applying for temporary residency straight away.

PS... If anyone knows of English language schools looking for teachers... I'd be happy to hear from you

Any suggestions/comments welcomed :o)

Thank you

mikelapta

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Susan..........forget about work to start with.

Temporary residency is your priority.

You need to find your local Muhtah,take copy of your passport and

Property details where you are renting,i.e. rental agreement.

You need the Muhtah's letter to go to Police Station.

Email me when you have done that

Mike

milliesmum49

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Hi Aussie Lass, welcome to the TRNC. You can appply for you temp residency now, but you cannot work with that, you will have to apply for a work permit.

Good luck with everything.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

If you are lucky enough to get a job you must get a work permit which means to have to cancel your temporary visa. Your employer should sort this out for you but its very hard to get a work permit now.

Marion

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 22:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

Why not wait until your three months is up, and then go for residency. In the meantime you may have found work, in which case as you have been advised, you will need a work permit.

i would suggest you start approaching places like GAU English College (the old Foundation Department), and various others. ?there is a guy looking for teachers but he wants them to have turkish! if you can speak Turkish then that might open a couple of extra doors.

good luck.

spider

Message Posted:
18/09/2011 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

First things first here,proof of money in the bank enough to keep you, you need to take this with you when you apply.

Then the blood test..letter of contract ect ! letter from the muhtah,s office to confirm you address..

Then at the police station they look to see if you have enough funds to keep yourself..

If you do NOT...then there is not point !

Spider,X

Marion

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 00:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Agreed no point going for Residency if you don't have enough money or an income, but this person has a 90 day visa. Surely that is enough time to try to find work and get the employer to apply for a work permit. If not, then go out of the country, come back and try again.

Obviously, if they do not have enough money to be independent, then Temp Res is a no-no, but I thought the person wanted primarily to work. difficult, but, who knows.....

AussieLass

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 10:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

Hi all.. Thank you for your replies and advice

I am trying to determine the best course of action and the information you have all provided me has been great

I have proof of money in the bank

I have a rental agreement

I am a qualified English teacher (CELTA)

I do not know Turkish but I am keen to join a language course if that's what it takes

Is anyone able to help me with more information?

Are these statements true or false...

* If I receive a job offer and work visa, I do not need to apply for a temporary residency?

* If I receive a temporary residency now and then get a job and work visa later, the temporary residency is overridden by the work visa?

Also, why is it hard to get a work permit at the moment?

Thank you and I look forward to any further advice

Marion

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 11:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

O.K. Sheila! By the way where in Oz are you? I came from Perth to here and wish I could go back!

Anyway, briefly, in answer to your points.

1. Correct.

2. Correct.

So the moral of the story is, as I suggested, come over on your 90 days and job hunt, although do some internet stuff first. Actually there is a guy here from Oz who works at GAU so he might be able to help, but give it a go first. As to moneyin the bank, to get a Temp Res it is not enough to have your fare home, you need eough to live on for at least a year. O.K. Or as they say here 'Tamam'

Must dash. But when you get here, if I can help, would love otmeet.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

Its difficult to get a work permit as the government are restricting them. They prefer local people ie Turkish Cypriots to fill any job vacancies. If you do get one you have to cancel your temp visa at the immigration office.

AussieLass

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 13:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you again...

Marion:

I am from originally from Sydney but have spent the last 5 years in chilly Canberra

I arrived in Kyrenia on Thursday last week

The weather here is fabulous and I have never met friendlier people.

So far, I feel like I am in a fantastic dream and I am waiting to wake up

Amazingly I have already met some wonderful people and made new friends in the space of only a few days

I have had lots of suggestions for work so fingers crossed someone is willing to arrange a work visa for me

If all else fails I have enough money in the bank to live here for 2 years so that should be ok with the authorities but I would much prefer to teach and obviously have something to occupy my time every day

Definitely looking to meet more local people and catch up for a coffee

I will start the job hunt and if that is not working, I will apply for temp residency

* Does anyone know how long an application takes from Muhtah to approval? I've heard 4-5 weeks.

Marion

Message Posted:
19/09/2011 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Would gladly buy you a coffee in Gloria Jeans (a bit of Australia come to N.cyprus a couple of years back).

So glad you feel good about the place. I guess it is kinda different to Canberra, although I admit when I went there for a couple of days it was o.K, but i DO remember it was cold at the backpackers,but I was so amazed at all the beautiful birds sitting on the fences, that I forgot about the cold.

I have e mailed you so you will have all my details. Do get in touch when and if you want.

You have the same name as a rellie of mine! I wonder if you look like her.

oops, I forgot to say 'Welcome to Kyrenia'/

Deniz1

Message Posted:
20/09/2011 08:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

The process takes about three weeks from the first visit to the police office.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.